Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Weird sound coming down from my 5th gen..HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird sound coming down from my 5th gen..HELP

Hello, my 5th gen SH start to make noise whenever I start to roll in 1st gear, or whenever I start to break. It is makes like a "clong" sound and feel like something is about to break down...

I took it to the shop and the guy told me it is my ATTS unit that making the noise whenever my car start going and stoping..

any other ppl have similar situation ?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2005, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Weird sound coming down from my 5th gen..HELP (OxYi)

if its the atts don't worry it was a $250 option that you cant even tell its there unless you do a lot of slolm racing
Old 11-15-2005, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird sound coming down from my 5th gen..HELP (chrisluda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chrisluda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if its the atts don't worry it was a $250 option that you cant even tell its there unless you do a lot of slolm racing</TD></TR></TABLE>

More like $2500 to upgrade to the SH model from the base. I assume you've never driven a Prelude with ATTS or else you wouldn't say it's not noticeable.

Did the mechanic say if it was an internal or external problem? If it's internal, you could try changing the atts fluid (automatic trans. fluid), but other than that, I don't know if they can even be serviced. It's probably easier to replace the whole thing.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:20 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Weird sound coming down from my 5th gen..HELP (bubs)

If your ATTS unit wasn't functioning properly you would have an ATTS light.

What are your mods? What year is the car? How many miles?

We need more details.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird sound coming down from my 5th gen..HELP (Sticky Tires)

I have 98 SH, 65k on it. I only got exhaust on it, and the car was lower by the pervious owner.
ATTS light did came on once, but went away afterward, and haven't light up since.

But the noise still there, sometime it will have it, and sometime it won't. I notice if I wash my car, then the noise will appear again. It only happens when my car is in motion in first gear, or when I am stopping. The noise seem to be coming from the center or left of the hood, but not really sure where it is from.

The guy at the shop said he lift my car up and turn the wheel, and he said it was the ATTS unit thats makng the noise, but my light is not even on...

Change the ATTS fluid. I did think about it, but seem pretty hard to DIY, so maybe i will take it to the dealer to do it. anyone know how much it would cost?

Old 11-15-2005, 09:45 AM
* B A N N E D *

What suspension is your car lowered on? I say jack up your car and check your springs/coilover for play.

Was the sound always there?

Changing the fluid is somewhat a PITA. Not many shops know how to do it, only the dealership. So it will cost you some money.

Old 11-15-2005, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird sound coming down from my 5th gen..HELP (Sticky Tires)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sticky Tires &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What suspension is your car lowered on? I say jack up your car and check your springs/coilover for play.

Was the sound always there?

Changing the fluid is somewhat a PITA. Not many shops know how to do it, only the dealership. So it will cost you some money. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, id check your suspension. mine does that occasionally and i have a base prelude, so no ATTS for me, its just a swaybar link that had popped off the swaybar. it does it sometimes when i accelerate, and a lot when i brake..
Old 11-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OxYi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Change the ATTS fluid. I did think about it, but seem pretty hard to DIY, so maybe i will take it to the dealer to do it. anyone know how much it would cost? </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's really not a big deal.. There are 2 bolts, one on the side toward the top (filler), and one on the side toward the bottom (drain) of the atts unit. Unscrew both (do the top one first in case you can't get it off so you don't drain your fluid without a way to put it back in). Once the fluid is drained, pour Honda ATF in until it starts to come out of the filler hole. I found it easiest to get some tubing that fit in the filler hole and you can snake the tubing up into the engine bay area so you can pour the fluid into the tubing using a funnel. Otherwise, it's nearly impossible to pour the fluid in.

I doubt changing the fluid will make the noise go away, but it can't hurt anything.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird sound coming down from my 5th gen..HELP (AEMPrelude916)

swaybar link ? or could it be the control arm up in the front that's loose...
if it is just swaybar link, how do i go about repairing it ? :\
the noise is making me worry a lot..

thanks
Old 11-16-2005, 03:44 AM
* B A N N E D *

Just jack your car up safely and go under to check for anything loose or broken. If metals are rubbing you should see marks.

If it's loose, tighten it. If broken, replace it.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:56 AM

my atts just went bad but i havent had any problems or weird sounds coming from it pior to it going bad the only problem is my car would experience fuel cut out around turn sometimes
Old 11-17-2005, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird sound coming down from my 5th gen..HELP (shman97)

shman97: are you going to repair ur atts at all ? heard it cost 2.5g to get a new ATTS.

I think the sound is coming either a bit in the front , under the drive side.
I will take it to the dealer to do the ATTS fluid change..man gonna cost 55$...

and i wish i would be able to do it myself, don't even know where to buy the ATTS fluid or ability to do so :\
Old 11-18-2005, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OxYi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and i wish i would be able to do it myself, don't even know where to buy the ATTS fluid or ability to do so :\ </TD></TR></TABLE>

I explained it up above.. The ATTS fluid is just automatic transmission fluid.