Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Water Is Inside My Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WATER IS INSIDE MY CAR

this is bad news.

about a month ago i noticed that the rear carpets were wet. after about a week it went away. i first noticed it because in the morning, instead of the dew being on the outside of the windows, it was on the inside.

somehow this escalated. my rear seats have water in them if i push down on the cushoin. the rear carpets are soaked. now my front drivers carpet is starting to get wet.

im gonna take out my rear seats today and see whats up.

i dont know if theres some drainage problem or what. im clueless here. ive had the car almost 3 years without problem. about 6 months ago i was in an accident where my front end was smashed up. about 2000 in damage if that would matter any.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: WATER IS INSIDE MY CAR (illusion)

check your window seals/sunroof.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:25 AM

I had this problem not too long ago, it had to do with my tail lights. I took a cup of water and poured it along my opened trunk. I noticed the water was going down through my tail light, and then draining under my trunk, where the spare was. I had to shop vac all of that out. When you hit the brakes or if the water sits there long enough, the water will come through your seat and start to get all over your rear carpet and rear seat and smells horrible.

Thing to do, assuming you have the exact same problem is to pull your tail lights and buy some silicon gasket sealer. Pour it all along your tailight, and especially heavier where you noticed the water was going in. Let that dry (make sure you're doing it in dry conditions). Don't forget to check where your spare is and make sure there's no water there, I had to shop vac all the water out of my back floor and the trunk, and I had to let the rear cushions dry out. Good luck, let us know how it turns out,
Old 12-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WATER IS INSIDE MY CAR (SuperSlow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperSlow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check your window seals/sunroof.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, the sunroof has drain tubes that end back there.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WATER IS INSIDE MY CAR (fade22)

well the foam in the rear seats were soaked! i dont know how they will ever dry. some small puddles underneath.

in the trunk, the spare tire was sitting in a HUGE PUDDLE OF WATER.

OK! could be tthe taillights. this is actually my original taillights and one is cracked from a failed orange-&gt;clear job. I had to have these on to pass inspection. i have my normal ones that were cleared successfully. ill try the test with the cup of water.

re: the sunroof, do you guys have any specifics about where they originate from or where they end? a guy i work with said that perhaps during my accident the impact may have clogged a drain.

thanks for the responses
Old 12-04-2004, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by illusion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">re: the sunroof, do you guys have any specifics about where they originate from or where they end? a guy i work with said that perhaps during my accident the impact may have clogged a drain.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll take a pic when I get home in a few minutes, because I have all of my interior panels off right now...
Old 12-04-2004, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WATER IS INSIDE MY CAR (Hawkze_2.3)

OK, here's where it starts (this is a 4th gen)

Here's where it ends up. The hose comes in/out with no effort at all....
Old 12-04-2004, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the same problem except its under the my feet where the pedals are... i have a JDM lude so its on the right hand side... the left and the rear is dry as...and the bottom of where my feet are its soaked as!! and keeps coming back...any ideas on that one??

and there are 4 drainage pipes for the sunroof, one on each corner...wen the front ones are diconnected , the water runs down the pillars.. and if the sunroof seal leaked, the water wuld fall onto my seat....i have no idea how its getting under my pedals....
Old 12-04-2004, 06:03 PM

Default Re: (americ_ian)

Yeah, I'm almost 100% sure its going to be your tail lights. Mine looked to be in perfect condition when we bought the car, and it worked out until the first time it rained, but I didn't notice it then. One day I was cleaning out my car and lifted up to check on my spare to make sure it had air, and it was sitting in a good gallon or two of water. What happened was that the tail lights weren't fitted correctly from whoever we bought it from. So, when it rained the water went down the creases in the trunklid to the tail light, into the tail light (I had condensation on the inside of the light, another thing to check for), and then the water would drain out of the light and into my trunk.

Edit: After looking at the pictures more, I guess it could be that. Nice pics. Take a cup of water to the sunroof too and check it out. Oh, the foam will dry out by itself. I had to get some really powerful scented stuff for my car to get used to the smell, but it eventually dries out.

Also, americ_ian, after a while mine started leaking into the front seats too. Although this only happened once so I'm not as sure as to what happened on yours, it could be something to check into.

Oh, I forgot to mention that in order to see if the puddle of water is draining into your trunk, you're going to have to pull back that carpeting material both on the sides around your trunk and the board that sits over your spare. If you need any help or anything I'll try to get some pics of what to look for.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:15 PM

Default Re: (fade22)

On mine it was the taillight gaskets.

I didn't need to use any kind of sealant to fix it, just got a new set of foam gaskets from Honda and made sure they were seated properly around the bolts that hold the taillight in place.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Daemione)

ok spent the whole day figurein wat had happend.... from the water to get from the back of the front seat to the front, it seeps thru the carpet... and wen i did my battery reloction, on a JDM RHD prelude i went thru the firewall behind the fusebox in the car, and follow where the engine loom goes up above the wheel guard and thru the chassis rail and to the battery, i took the rubber bung off so i culd get the cable thru, and never fitted it back properly...turns out wen water drips down the side of the windscreen, and down towards the hood it drains out the corner and the water drips right over the rubber bung, and ofcourse mine was open so it dripped into the car down behind the fuse box and onto the floor pan...

so i bust out the sealant and spent half the day drying my carpet and sealing the hole..and rewiring my battery cable thru the hole that the cruise control cable cam out of
Old 12-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fade22)

well i poured a cup of water on each of my taillights and it didnt seem to leak. i replaced my taillights anyway so we'll see.

hawk, i cant recognize where that hose drains to. does it just drain out to underneath the car?
Old 12-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (illusion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by illusion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hawk, i cant recognize where that hose drains to. does it just drain out to underneath the car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, that last picture is where your jack would normally be, so that tube goes down right infront of the rear passenger side marking light. I'd assume it goes out to the ground...

It's very easy for that tube to slide out of its holder and just drain into the trunk, so you may want to pull out your jack and pull up the carpet and check it out.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hawkze_2.3)

ohh thats by the jack.. ok ill rip it up tomorrow
Old 12-05-2004, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

note: theres four of them, and 2 go down each side of the trunk, the other two go down each pillar
Old 12-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (americ_ian)

UPDATE

wasnt the taillights.. i replaced them and still noticed the water

so today i went looking for that sunroof drain tube. i couldnt get to it because of this black box in the way and because of the antenna motor. while trying to remove the motor, i noticed that the antenna has a drain tube as well... and it was out of the hole! the water was coming in the antenna and draining into my trunk!

thanks for the help
Old 12-11-2004, 08:21 PM

congrats on finding your problem