Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Need some opinions before Alternator swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some opinions before Alternator swap

So about 2 months ago I got my 1994 Prelude running again and I noticed something it didn't have before. The idle was rough and it got so low it stalled a few times. One time I was driving home and I noticed it was way way smoother and it ran and idled better. I got home and forgot to pull up the windows, I turned on the car until the dash lights came up and I noticed the battery light didn't come on, so I went to the engine bay and noticed the alternator plug came out ,it was just hanging there. I noticed the car ran better when the alternator isn't charging the battery. I also got a voltmeter and did some testing. When under load the voltage did go under normal battery voltage. When the AC is turned on the idle gets super low and car almost stalls, it even stalled once lol. This all happens at normal operating temp also. Car runs great till warmed. Also when I try to turn my car on when warm it just starts slow like the starter isn't getting enough power. My battery died 1 month ago and I got a used one. It did start nice and quick when warm for about a week then it went back to how it was before, slow. Is it possible the alternator is at fault for these symptoms? Can it also be the ELD? Is it just not putting out enough power? Thanks in advance
Old 01-11-2014, 12:46 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Need some opinions before Alternator swap

Either your alternator is bad or your issue is the connector wasn't plugged in. I can't tell at what point your alternator connector wasn't connected in, in relation to your issues.

The best alternator you can get is a Denso reman.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it necessary to take off the power steering pump?
Old 01-12-2014, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AudioFunk
Is it necessary to take off the power steering pump?
From what I can see no.(just peeked at my 93)seems it'll make it a hell of alot easier if you did though
Old 01-12-2014, 11:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It takes about 7 minutes tops to take the power steering pump off. Keep in mind you don't need to take it off the hoses, just out of the bracket and gently moved towards the driver side chassis so it's out of the way.

It's the same idea you're going to use to take off the alternator in terms of loosening the mounting bolt and adjusting through bolt and loosening the adjusting bolt so the belt untensions.