Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

VAFC II install from Whitfield Racing AKA "Rage Performance" gone wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAFC II install from Whitfield Racing AKA "Rage Performance" gone wrong?

I have a 1997 Prelude SH and I was trying to get a DYNO tune with a VAFC II on my car from Whitfield Racing since, I am limited to a VAFC due to the ATTS.

I had them install a VAFC II in my car. As they were dynoing the car on the machine my speedometer stopped working and the CEL came on. They informed me that I had electrical interference in the car and they couldn't proceed. So, of course I believe them as they are professionals. (Keep in mind I spent for $1700 here on a clutch, flywheel, axles, rear main seal, oil pan gasket,vafc + install dyno tune (unable to tune) and some diagnostics)

I did some research and looked up brake light and battery light staying on (very dim). According to some forums the usual culprit is the ECU EAT Fuse. I go and check and its blown!

Could a VAFC cause my ECU to blow? Possible bad ground where they connected? They did not solder the wires as they told me "it would take too long and that it'd be fine the way he did it."
Old 02-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: VAFC II install from Whitfield Racing AKA "Rage Performance" gone wrong?

Sounds like one of the wires might be grounding out somewhere, or they tapped the power for the VAFC from a circuit that didn't have much room for more current draw and it popped the fuse. You could try a one-higher rated fuse (ie a 20-amp instead of a 15) and see what happens. If it's a full short, it will still blow that one and you know you have a problem in the wiring. If it runs fine, it probably means that circuit is just loaded up.

And I can tell you from experience that soldering does take WAY longer (I just installed my eManage Ultimate last night and soldered every connection and it took a LONG time). The crimp style connectors can work fine as long as they are done appropriately.

The fact that a CEL popped up and they basically said "tough luck" and sent you on your way tells me that once you get your VAFC sorted out, go to a different shop to get it tuned; I wouldn't trust my car to people like that.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VAFC II install from Whitfield Racing AKA "Rage Performance" gone wrong?

Originally Posted by gstrudler
Sounds like one of the wires might be grounding out somewhere, or they tapped the power for the VAFC from a circuit that didn't have much room for more current draw and it popped the fuse. You could try a one-higher rated fuse (ie a 20-amp instead of a 15) and see what happens. If it's a full short, it will still blow that one and you know you have a problem in the wiring. If it runs fine, it probably means that circuit is just loaded up.

And I can tell you from experience that soldering does take WAY longer (I just installed my eManage Ultimate last night and soldered every connection and it took a LONG time). The crimp style connectors can work fine as long as they are done appropriately.

The fact that a CEL popped up and they basically said "tough luck" and sent you on your way tells me that once you get your VAFC sorted out, go to a different shop to get it tuned; I wouldn't trust my car to people like that.
I appreciate your input man. I am stressing out because I am worried the fuse will keep blowing and ill get stranded somewhere. So, I bought a box full of fuses til I get it fixed.

Will using a higher amperage cause any problems in the wiring? If the 20AMP fuse doesn't blow should I just leave it alone or fix the problem? What do you think? I've already spent too much money on this car in the past couple months. :/

If I drive it below VTEC the ECU fuse seems to be ok. The fuse has blown about 3 times in the past 1000 miles. Its relative to my dirving habits I believe. If I constantly stay in VTEC the fuse tends to blow. You said, it might possibly be an overload in the circuit? I really appreciate your input.

I brought it to them because they were local and i've done business with them before. It's funny when you're in inquiring about a service they're your best friend but if something happens they don't even want to look you in the face and speak to you. I spoke with Jason the owner of the shop and he was extremely friendly when I was inquiring about a clutch and flywheel. After this issue I would call him and his tone completely changed like he didn't give a F&ck. As you can tell im extremely upset about this and I am going to report him to the BBB.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it blows, does the VAFC shutoff?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gstrudler
When it blows, does the VAFC shutoff?
Ill get back to you on that. Its blown 3 times and it all happened when I was pushing the car. Ill look at the VAFC next time it blows out.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Voltage regulator maybe?