Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Transmission issue HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issue HELP

IF THIS IS IN THE WRONG PLACE FEEL FREE TO MOVE IT
Hi everyone I am asking this question for a friend who has a 99 prelude. For a week the car had been giving him a problem going it to reverse it would go in but that was after really forcing it. Now finally last night he was trying to put it into reverse and the shifter just jerked straight back and it would only go front to back so he only had fourth and fifth gear no first second third or reveres. So luckily it’s down hill to his house from were the car was. We got it there and popped the hood I had him move the shifter front to back and noticed the linkage had popped off so I put it back on and thought problem solved and in the case of all forward gears it is but know there is no getting it into reverse and it sounds like the throw out bearing or maybe the pilot bearing is going bad but whatever the noise is it wasn’t there an hour before this all happened.

So here is the question has this happened to any one before or do you have any info on a similar problem. If it doesn’t sound fixable how much do you think a replacement transmission for this car would cost

Thank you for any input
Cory
Old 07-27-2005, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission issue HELP (crp98rs)

Is it an auto or manual? If it's an auto, his tranny if fucked, cause 5th Gen. auto trannies tend to always go out, but if it doesn't, then you're one of the few lucky people. Also, check the fluid level in the transmission. If he has a manual, might wanna check the tranny fluid level. He might need more transmission fluid.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its a manual and i tell him to check it
thank you
Old 07-27-2005, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission issue HELP (crp98rs)

also check the fluid in the resisvor as well...If all fluids are topped off, then might need a new master and slave cyclinder