Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Which Tranny is MP1A?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Tranny is MP1A?

I've got a chance to trade my F22 trans from my 95 EX Accord straight across for a MP1A transmission out of a Prelude. I'm considering doing it b/c I'm doing an H22 swap into my 95 EX Accord. I don't know what trans this is, though.

Can someone help me out?
Old 05-07-2008, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Which Tranny is MP1A? (C_Rock77)

Why don't you just keep the one you have? Why do you want to trade it? Your transmission should bolt right to the H22.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which Tranny is MP1A? (slamdlude)

Was under the impression that this transmission would be better suited for the H22. Also...it would be a straight up trade.

So...can anyone answer my question?
Old 05-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's an auto transmission...
Old 05-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which Tranny is MP1A? (Giant_Bean)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Giant_Bean &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's an auto transmission...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Gee...you think?! I would've never thought that considering it has a torque converter and solenoids on the outside!

I'm asking WHICH transmission this is. Would it be better suited to the H22 than the trans that was in my 95 EX Accord?
Old 05-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is no need to get sarcastic, just wondering why you would do an H22 swap and not covert to manual at the same time. But it looks like the MP1A is an h23 auto transmission, so gearing is probably similar to what you have.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by C_Rock77 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Gee...you think?! I would've never thought that considering it has a torque converter and solenoids on the outside!

I'm asking WHICH transmission this is. Would it be better suited to the H22 than the trans that was in my 95 EX Accord?</TD></TR></TABLE>

forreal dude, that guys trying to help you out. remember this guy doesn't owe you anything and was helping you out of the kindness of his heart which he did anyways even after the sarcasm. you owe this man an apology.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The shop manual states that MP1A is stock on the H23 and I know it also comes on the H22 JDM........there is a version with LSD though, dont know if there are different gearing in between these two, dont think so though

I also doubt that the gearing differs from a Accord one.......but thats just a guess........
Old 05-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are those solenoids or accumulators on the outside ?
Old 05-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which Tranny is MP1A? (Giant_Bean)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Giant_Bean &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is no need to get sarcastic, just wondering why you would do an H22 swap and not covert to manual at the same time. But it looks like the MP1A is an h23 auto transmission, so gearing is probably similar to what you have.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm doing it b/c the car is an auto, already. A lot of people do H22 swaps and don't convert the auto to manual.

As for the sarcasm, it doesn't take a genius to see that the transmission is an auto. Lots of OBD1 H22 cars came with an auto trans. There's one LSD H22 trans that I have heard from a lot of people that is a BAD *** trans.

I'm doing the swap and keeping the Auto trans just b/c I found a good deal on an H22 longblock, I have a f*cked F22 longblock and rather than buying an F22 for about the same $$ as I'd have to spend on an F22, I took advantage of the deal on the H. For a couple hundred $, the Accord will be a little more fun to drive. It's not something I'm worried about going fast in. I just figured it'd be a way to get some more fun out of a DD.

Started looking into a different trans besides the F22 trans b/c some people had said that the F22 auto won't stand up to the H22 & will prematurely break. Being that I have access to this MP1A trans, and could get it for a straight swap for my F22 trans, I'm wondering if it might benefit me to do so since it won't COST me anything to use the MP1A trans instead of the F22 trans.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lots of H22 cars came auto? which ones from the US? and a lot of people do h22 swaps w/o converting auto to manual? gimme the numbers. The LSD H22 trans you speak of is manual either the M2b4 or the T_ _ _ one from the accord Euro-R's.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Modified by Silver Surfer at 3:17 PM 5/18/2008
Old 05-07-2008, 07:45 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you mean all those preludes and accords from japan, asia and australia with h22's and auto trannies, and even those with auto lsd's don't exist?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:56 PM

lol owned.

but what's the point of a swap if it aint gonna be a 5speed? because the point of a swap usually means to go faster...unless someone can't drive stick ;0
Old 05-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (inspireAZN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by inspireAZN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol owned.
but what's the point of a swap if it aint gonna be a 5speed? because the point of a swap usually means to go faster...unless someone can't drive stick ;0</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes....he did get OWNED...but it was such an IGNORANT statement, I didn't even see the point to acknowledge it.

Look...I didn't ask this question to get into a debate as to whether or not the car would be fast, whether or not I SHOULD swap it over to manual, etc.

I'm dropping in this H22 into the Accord b/c I figured it would be more fun than the F22...something that would be fastER than the old F22. I don't want to go through the PITA to swap to manual. THIS IS GOING TO BE A DAILY DRIVER. I already have a "fast" car....I don't really care to make this into another car that I'm trying to make as fast as I can. Jesus....read my post....I GOT A GOOD DEAL ON AN H22! I decided to use it instead of another F22. I'm not looking to swap to manual. These are my criteria for my swap....I'm sick of people telling me it's stupid, etc. I mean...it's the same kind of argument if someone were wanting to do a D-series VTEC in their non-VTEC Civic. It's not going to be "Fast," but it will be fastER. I guess you'd be the same guy that would say "I don't see the point in a swap if you're not at least going B-series."

Do I need to make a new thread? B/c it seems no one is reading what I'm asking...they come in and drop their 2 cents as to whether or not they think it's stupid (whether or not they're correct) and everyone just gets into a big *** argument. JESUS....this is why I LOVE Honda-Tech! A bunch of self-proclaimed EXPERTS that have no clue wtf they're talking about. IDK about you guys...but maybe you should subscribe to the philosophy of "If I don't have anything CONSTRUCTIVE to offer a thread, MAYBE I shouldn't post!"
Old 05-08-2008, 11:29 AM
RTFM

if the lude auto is in good shape and lower miles take it and go. at the very least it should have a better final drive i would think.
and even with an auto the car will be decently quick. a local guy here in houston ran a 15 flat in an auto h22 accord while on 18s and 35 series tires, he then got a 75 shot and ran a 13.8. not bad for his daily driver.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (v4lu3s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v4lu3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if the lude auto is in good shape and lower miles take it and go. at the very least it should have a better final drive i would think.
and even with an auto the car will be decently quick. a local guy here in houston ran a 15 flat in an auto h22 accord while on 18s and 35 series tires, he then got a 75 shot and ran a 13.8. not bad for his daily driver.</TD></TR></TABLE>
without Mod list.....Auto 5th gens run low 16's.....we saw nothing but high 14sec passes from my friends 5th gen SS+75 shot ZEX.
Auto H22's are lucky to hit the 150whp mark with i/h/e
Old 05-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (C_Rock77)

Modified by Silver Surfer at 3:19 PM 5/18/2008
Old 05-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which Tranny is MP1A? (dagle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dagle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lots of H22 cars came auto? which ones from the US? and a lot of people do h22 swaps w/o converting auto to manual? gimme the numbers. The LSD H22 trans you speak of is manual either the M2b4 or the T_ _ _ one from the accord Euro-R's. </TD></TR></TABLE>

T2T4 IIRC...

i think thats the tranny in my car.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which Tranny is MP1A? (h23isnotabigblock)

Modified by Silver Surfer at 3:19 PM 5/18/2008
Old 05-09-2008, 06:58 PM
RTFM

Default Re: (NirVTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NirVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
without Mod list.....Auto 5th gens run low 16's.....we saw nothing but high 14sec passes from my friends 5th gen SS+75 shot ZEX.
Auto H22's are lucky to hit the 150whp mark with i/h/e</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats fine and dandy for a pile of **** 5th gen auto lude. the tranny in those is garbage and we all know it.
the car i speak was a 5th gen accord, thus me saying it was an accord. it was also a jdm h22 not that it really makes a difference, but the ones i have dynoed on a stock ecu put down 175hp with i/e, this guy had the heqder and exhaust as well as a hondata ecu that had been on the dyno with him.

but i guess all of that is irrelevant since i obviously made it up and have nothing better to do than lie about what someone else did that i actually saw happen.

and to teh guy that got on his USDM kick....if a transmission is coded mp1a you know its an auto from a 92-96 lude. if it came from a US market car it was an h23...but could just have easily come from a jdm or other market as well. thats one of the wonderful things about living in a WORLD market, you can actually get stuff from other countries. there is no way you can prove what car that mp1a was originally in...but based on its part number it could have been something with an h22 or h23....
Old 05-10-2008, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lets just set all this straight as far as the trans ratios are concerned......i can't believe this is even an issue for the auto trans.....

Ratios: 5th gen auto prelude ---- Top speed limited by each gear (assuming 7500rpm redline and 195/60/15 tire on each)
"pm Combustion Contraption he has the missing tech i posted"

Ratios: 94-97 accord

Ratios: 92-96 prelude S

Ratios: 92-96 prelude si

Modified by Silver Surfer at 3:20 PM 5/18/2008
Old 05-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wonder if AUTO final drives would work in a manual trans.....That 4.7 sounds sweet!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=v4lu3s]

thats fine and dandy for a pile of **** 5th gen auto lude..QUOTE]

Was this really just typed by an Accord owner???? Or are you just a dumb Prelude owner......Im seeing more and more of this....Preludes are so inexpensive compared to when I bought mine that every moron with $2-3k can own one.....Wonderful......
5th gen Accord=I wish I was a Prelude!
4th gen Prelude=Everything an Accord isn't and wouldn't ever be....

Old 05-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (NirVTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NirVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[QUOTE=v4lu3s]

thats fine and dandy for a pile of **** 5th gen auto lude..QUOTE]

Was this really just typed by an Accord owner???? Or are you just a dumb Prelude owner......Im seeing more and more of this....Preludes are so inexpensive compared to when I bought mine that every moron with $2-3k can own one.....Wonderful......
5th gen Accord=I wish I was a Prelude!
4th gen Prelude=Everything an Accord isn't and wouldn't ever be....

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ahh I got to speak on this one. as a former accord owner. 5th gen Accord is essentially a Prelude chasisis with an accord shell. Same double wishbone suspension all the way around, same brake options, same axel length even. Drop in an H22 and you have an Acclude or JDM Accord SIR. There is absolutley nothing a Prelude can do that an Accord (5th or 4th gen) cant. You may not like the looks of a family car but many of them can walk all over your high performance sports coupey. Dont generalize it makes you look ignorant...

Quick Reply: Which Tranny is MP1A?