Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

timing belt walking off after manual tensioner swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 10:21 AM
MadCityLude

Default timing belt walking off after manual tensioner swap

I just did the manual tensioner swap on my JDM H22 along with new timing belt, water pump, and balance shaft removal. I left my upper timing belt cover off after installation so I could watch the belt and noticed that it seemed to be wanting to push off the cam gear. The valve cover is rubbing it slightly.

What did I do wrong? I followed the instructions perfectly from the FAQ here, and used all honda OEM parts from Majestic Honda.

Please Help, I cant drive my car yet.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2006, 10:36 AM
MadCityLude

Default Re: timing belt walking off after manual tensioner swap (MadCityLude)

Could it just be too tight? Has anyone else ever had this problem?

If you read this and it needs bumped please do as I will be away from my PC till tomorrow morning and am planning to fix it then (If I can)

Thanks
Old 08-04-2006, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the new inner tensioner pulley, did you make sure its correctly seated on this peg (the one he has his fingers on)

and secondly, is the main outer 14mm nut (the one that sticks thru the lower timing cover) tightened down all the way? if not, the tensioner pulleys sag and make the belt walk off.

thirdly, the new inner pulley has a slot along the left side that should line up with a 10mm bolt hole thats part of a new triangle shaped bracket that is bolted in place of the old tensioner... if you put a 10mm bolt in, itll help hold the pulley flat against the side of the block.

when removing the balance shafts, you should leave the lower gear and the h23 balance shaft belt tensioner still installed, just remove the shafts and belt... if you didnt buy the h23 b.shaft pulley, youll have to stack the proper height of washers.. try adding 1 or 2 more. you didnt use the h23 inner main tensioner, and the original h22 outer b.shaft tensioner, did you?

id take the lower cover back off and take a double check.

Modified by cpmike at 3:14 PM 8/4/2006
Old 08-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cpmike)

i bet i know what you did. did you put that big washer behind the main shaft? we've all forgot it the first time you do a swap over...
Old 08-04-2006, 07:25 PM
MadCityLude

Default Re: (fastludeh22)

I did put the washer on. Everything is tight. I used a stack of washers instead of the H23 pulley.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MadCityLude)

I used washers to with no problem.You said your valve cover is rubbing how hard?
If it's rubbing to hard it could cause it to make it track wrong..
Old 08-05-2006, 02:43 AM
MadCityLude

It is rubbing because the belt is trying to slide off the edge. It is rubbing hard enough that I can hear it and it warms the edge of the valve cover.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:07 PM
MadCityLude

Problem fixed. It was walking cause the belt was just too tight! This is what I did to fix it.

Here we go. Now I know alot of people are going to say that the tripod piece is not necessary and whatever, but IMO it takes alot of stress off of the bolt that the tensioner rides on, and it gives me that added little bit of security.

This First Pic shows the culprit bolt. I have circled it in yellow for you. When you put on the manual tensioner pulley you will see that it is only allowed to loosen the belt until the pulley hits the bolt. If you try and put the belt on like this it will be too tight.

The next 2 pics are going to show you the area of the bracket that needs to be shaved down to allow full movement of the tensioner. I used a dremel and it only took about 5 min. I found removing about .06 - .09 was sufficient. Again the area I shaved is highlighted in yellow. Again you don't shave the pulley itself only the bracket.

Modified by MadCityLude at 12:03 AM 9/3/2006

Modified by MadCityLude at 12:39 PM 9/18/2006
Old 08-24-2006, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm, I'm in the same situation. I gave up the tripod part. Am I wrong here? For me this tripod doesn't play any crucial role here. It's just a holder for a screw to keep the tensioner.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:51 AM
MadCityLude

Default Re: timing belt walking off after manual tensioner swap (pentaq)

Well the way I look at it is this, this tripod not only holds the tensioner in place, but also adds alot of strength and support to the pulley system. Maybe not necessary, but I feel Honda put it there for a reason, why not use it.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

funny, idid the same thing on my tensior. but i did this for ease of putting the t-belt on, never had a problem with "walking" before i did it. so this solved your problem?
Old 08-27-2006, 09:39 PM
MadCityLude

Default Re: timing belt walking off after manual tensioner swap (fastludeh22)

I think it was "walking" off cause it was so tight. Yes this fixed the problem. It is running great now.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I shaved the bottom of the bracket part of the pulley it seems as there is no interference with the bolt...the problem still persists........is there anything in addition to the bracket on the pulley that is supposed to be shaved??
Old 09-02-2006, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: timing belt walking off after manual tensioner swap (9WON4)

when you say yours was walking off was it actually coming off the cam gears? if so how much inch wise? b/c mine would always walk to the edge of the cams gears and chill there it never came off but then again it was only being turned by hand never by staring the motor. i really hope i dont need to go back in there and shave that bracket b/c my timing is dead on the marks and it was a bitch to do it.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: timing belt walking off after manual tensioner swap (M2B4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by M2B4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you say yours was walking off was it actually coming off the cam gears? if so how much inch wise? b/c mine would always walk to the edge of the cams gears and chill there it never came off but then again it was only being turned by hand never by staring the motor. i really hope i dont need to go back in there and shave that bracket b/c my timing is dead on the marks and it was a bitch to do it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah mine is walking up to the edge "chilling there" and then looking to start inching OVER the EDGE

SUICIDAL TIMING BELT

and yeah my timing was dead on the mark to I've gone back 10+ times now
Old 09-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did u shave ne thing off to fix it? i couldnt tell if mine was gunna walk off or not because i could only turn the motor by hand. i was told most of then walked to the edge and just chilled there. that happen to ne yall? yall running urs fine after it walked to the edge?
Old 09-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: timing belt walking off after manual tensioner swap (M2B4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by M2B4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did u shave ne thing off to fix it? i couldnt tell if mine was gunna walk off or not because i could only turn the motor by hand. i was told most of then walked to the edge and just chilled there. that happen to ne yall? yall running urs fine after it walked to the edge?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have shaved down parts which seemed to cause interference, but am still having problems, I am not sure If I modified everything correctly so I will not even get in to it, I will wait for the creator of this thread to chime in

and I am also only turning motor by hand...........this is why it concerns me, If it seems to "walk" while being cranked by hand I am scared of when the motor is screaming....where this belt will end up
Old 09-02-2006, 09:01 PM
MadCityLude

So is the belt looser now? Meaning did you actually have to tension it now for it to be tight? Or is it still tight as hell and requireing no tensioning?

If its is loose now, I can't help you! Cause the excessive tension is what was causing mine to walk! Make sure you put the 11mm washer under the pulley shaft, against the block. I have heard of people making this mistake.

If it is still tight then find out what is causing the interferece and try and relieve it!

Let me know. Thanks

Modified by MadCityLude at 12:42 PM 9/18/2006
Old 09-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 9WON4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and I am also only turning motor by hand...........this is why it concerns me, If it seems to "walk" while being cranked by hand I am scared of when the motor is screaming....where this belt will end up</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you're turning the motor over by hand and you dont have the balance shaft crank timing gear or the crank pulley on, then the belt will walk off.

MadCity-glad you got that to work, I might end up throwing that plate back into mine.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:45 PM
MadCityLude

Default Re: timing belt walking off after manual tensioner swap (Rosko)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rosko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if you're turning the motor over by hand and you dont have the balance shaft crank timing gear or the crank pulley on, then the belt will walk off.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never thought of that, you do have it completely assembled right?

Good point Rosko!
Old 09-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MadCityLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I never thought of that, you do have it completely assembled right?

Good point Rosko!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very good point!! that was causing the issue on day one; after that we put it all together to make sure that wasn't causing the issue......

It still persited, after the taking the belt on and off a couple of times we finnaly got it so it stopped walking.................what was our issue ..???something dealing with tension

how was issue resolved???????????
NO IDEA the belt went on and off so many different times I have no idea what the resolution actually was

regardless thanks everyone for the help
Old 09-14-2006, 07:49 PM
MadCityLude

All I can say for sure is MY issue was tension. Yours may or may not have been.

Happy you got it fixed though. Now go enjoy your work.