Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Swap or new car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap or new car?

I've had my prelude for awhile now and its starting to hit a few small problems here and there. its got 177,xxx miles on it h23a1, its my DD so im only doing some minor bolt-on's and few other small things. Sometime in the future I'm thinking about something new.

I want to stay with Honda's as I love them, I've always been a huge fan of preludes so im thinking i want a 5th gen next, i can get one for fairly cheap around here. (By that i mean around 6-7k for a 97-99 with under 100k on them) If thats overpriced, let me know

Unless i get a swap in my 4th gen and might as well get a h22 while im at it, problem is, I'm 18 with an alright job and with average car knowledge and a low supply of tools

So, im just thinking about it now if i should sell my 4th gen when it comes down to it in the future and get a new car or swap the engine and push its life further and get the 5th gen further down the road. I know now i bought the car for too much and don't really want to go into it

I'm not excluding other Honda's but Preludes are my favorite

I've always appreciated your guy's opinions, so i'd love to hear them now

Also, if you guys know of any reputable shops around Boise, ID. I'd sure like to know of them, I haven't live here for too long
Old 12-27-2007, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap or new car? (Immortal-Prelude)

Stick with the 4th Gen it has more style. And stock fifth gens are slow. And if you have the manual transmission, then all you have to buy is the jdm long block h22 for 1100-1300 depending on where you get it. Well, a h23a1 is a si motor and that trans is no good, youll need a better trans too. Id say get a full swap. Either h23 vtec or h22.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have no tranny problems just get the motor by itself, unless you want and can find an h22 with lsd m2b4 tranny
Old 12-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Immortal-Prelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've had my prelude for awhile now and its starting to hit a few small problems here and there. its got 177,xxx miles on it h23a1, its my DD so im only doing some minor bolt-on's and few other small things. Sometime in the future I'm thinking about something new.

I want to stay with Honda's as I love them, I've always been a huge fan of preludes so im thinking i want a 5th gen next, i can get one for fairly cheap around here. (By that i mean around 6-7k for a 97-99 with under 100k on them) If thats overpriced, let me know

Unless i get a swap in my 4th gen and might as well get a h22 while im at it, problem is, I'm 18 with an alright job and with average car knowledge and a low supply of tools

So, im just thinking about it now if i should sell my 4th gen when it comes down to it in the future and get a new car or swap the engine and push its life further and get the 5th gen further down the road. I know now i bought the car for too much and don't really want to go into it

I'm not excluding other Honda's but Preludes are my favorite

I've always appreciated your guy's opinions, so i'd love to hear them now

Also, if you guys know of any reputable shops around Boise, ID. I'd sure like to know of them, I haven't live here for too long</TD></TR></TABLE>

pull your motor out. buy a 92-95 civic hatch. put the motor in there.. great power and fun to drive... and a relatively easy swap.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap or new car? (h22crxpwr)

How much would it cost for me to get a full h22a swap including the lsd m2b4 transmission?
Old 12-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Immortal-Prelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much would it cost for me to get a full h22a swap including the lsd m2b4 transmission?</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually the best option would be to go H2B. the M2B4 is not cheap. and not really worth it in my opinion. they seem to lose reverse quite often.... in my experience. i've had about 4 that just all of a sudden lost reverse... locked out and wont go in reverse. and then numerous grinding 5th and 2nd gears.

better to go H2B.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmotors has the complete changeover for $2200. I ordered the $1899 plus LSD(extra $300) kit which doesn't include the mounts, axles, and shift cables, and the total came up to $2500 after shipping and taxes.

If you go with the LSD tranny combo those are backordered for at least a couple more weeks. Steve at hmotors also told me that he does not break apart tranny/engine to fill just an LSD order so you'll have to wait till more engines come with the LSD on it already before he'll send it out.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap or new car? (drbenne)

i would just sell it and get a 5th gen. unless you really know what youre doing itll be a major pain in the ***.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap or new car? (H22Honda98)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22Honda98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would just sell it and get a 5th gen. unless you really know what youre doing itll be a major pain in the ***. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Plus 2

Swapping motors is not as easy as some make it seem. Its very tedious and any number of things can go wrong. But if your up for an all out crash course in engine removal and instalation, go for it. You'll be able to fix anything in no time flat.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap or new car? (Acidcrakker)

QUOTE=Acidcrakker]
Swapping motors is not as easy as some make it seem. Its very tedious and any number of things can go wrong. But if your up for an all out crash course in engine removal and instalation, go for it. You'll be able to fix anything in no time flat.[/QUOTE]

Blah, not at this moment, I don't want to get into something over my head and that will be too much to handle.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Then sell it, and buy a new one with h22 installed already. Perferablly 4th gen.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Acidcrakker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Then sell it, and buy a new one with h22 installed already. Perferablly 4th gen.</TD></TR></TABLE> x2 i love my 5th gen, but im so jealous of H22 4th gens.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Swap or new car? (h22crxpwr)

It sounds like you would be better off getting a 5th gen for the lower miles and better engine, but then you won't have a sexy 4th gen I would say try to research the swap and see if you're up to it...maybe find someone local who could do it for you....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22crxpwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

actually the best option would be to go H2B. the M2B4 is not cheap. and not really worth it in my opinion. they seem to lose reverse quite often.... in my experience. i've had about 4 that just all of a sudden lost reverse... locked out and wont go in reverse. and then numerous grinding 5th and 2nd gears.

better to go H2B. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ughh...how is he going to do an H2B in a Prelude chassis???

He said he wants to either keep his 4G Prelude or get a 5th gen. If he barely has tools/experience to do a common motor swap, it's going to be waaaayyy over his head to do all the custom stuff required for an H2B in a Prelude.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There are some bad *** 5th gens out there that have made me turn my nose up to my 4th gen for a few minutes though.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its so hard to decide.

I love my 4th gen, everytime i park and walk away from it, i always look back and smile. However, when i see 5th gens, they just look newer and really sleak also, and lots of people ask what kind of a car it is.

3 cops have asked me if my car is a Honda Civic when i've got pulled over

As much as i love my 4th gen, i would like something newer maybe, unless i find an awesome deal on another 4th gen, it would have to have an h22 though
Old 12-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its all personal preference. around here its almost impossible to find an h22 4th gen. if i found one in good shape i would be all over it.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id stick with the 4th gen. and do the h22 swap.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There are plenty of H22 4th gens around here. Good luck trying to get someone to part with them. I just realized that my car is about to hit classic car status in a few years. Then its time for some classic car liscene plates
Old 12-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To do an H22 swap...it requires a lot more money than most people think. Since you are going to swap engines...you SHOULD do the maintanence items right then and there. Water pump, timing belt, clutch, rear main seal, engine mounts, H23 manual timing tensioner swap, possibly axles, as well as a few other things. If you don't plan on doing it yourself, the bill adds up pretty fast.

Sell the 4th gen and get a 5th gen.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap or new car? (AndyD)

Theres a few preludes for sale just locally around here

heres one

http://boise.craigslist.org/car/514839880.html

In the same city i live in too
Old 12-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should buy it too. That car is worth the 5 grand
Old 12-27-2007, 02:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I'd just get a 5th gen. Less miles on the entire car, plus it's a new car to you. If you can't do the swap yourself that's going to cost you, and it adds no value to your car. You can't touch the looks of a 5th gen with the factory body kit.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:18 PM

omg, that is a good buy, we should go check out that car tomarrow, only 93k miles.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap or new car? (joey funk)

Id buy it. I spent 4500 on my 92 si. Its 1000 bucks over the market value but a non-moded prelude is pretty rare.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Swap or new car? (waynecoSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by waynecoSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">id stick with the 4th gen. and do the h22 swap. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree its not a hard swap

Quick Reply: Swap or new car?