Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Stalling in bumper to bumper traffic

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2001, 01:53 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling in bumper to bumper traffic

The facts: 89 Prelude, 2.0Si, 5-speed, 73,000 miles. I've had the car a few months and it's runs great. Bought it from the original owners.

Lately it's been stalling after sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. On the way home from work and after traveling 12 miles at highways speeds, I encounter traffic. For the few first minutes it idles fine when I press the clutch and brake to come to a complete stop. But after a few minutes of this, the idle (when at a complete stop) starts dropping below 600 rpm and I can feel the car start to rumble.

At the next stop or two, it then drops below 400 or 500 rpm and then stalls. It starts right back up with no problems (so far). The temperature is fine and I'm not running the AC. I've checked the spark plugs (look OK) and the air filter. My suspect it to be air and fuel related or perhaps how the car's idle is regulated.

Can you offer me some suggestions? I doubt I'll do the repair myself, but I'd like to know what to expect at my mechanic. I've got a manual from Alldata (the one the mechanics use), but I don't have the diagnostic tools.

Any ideas? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined (can do moderately difficult repairs), but don't have much of a place to do (live in an apartment).

Thanks Russ in CA
Old 05-21-2001, 05:28 AM
New User

Default Re: Stalling in bumper to bumper traffic (Russ59)

just for the heck of it check your voltometer while your doing this...i've seen shorts in the electrical system cause this because the brake lights sucked all the power from the ignition system....doubtful that is it but somewhere to start?
Old 05-21-2001, 07:07 AM
New User

Default Re: Stalling in bumper to bumper traffic (Russ59)

My suggestion would be to check the engine code from the brian(ECU). On my 88 it is under the driver seat. Count how many flashes the LED shows, if you don't have the book I can check mine and tell you what it means.

You may want to disconnect the battery for 30+ seconds to clear out any old codes. This is not likely to stop the problem but it may remove codes that are not relevant. Then when it happens again take a look at the ECU and see if the codes are the same, if there are any, etc.

J