Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Some people say H22A motors in civics lean toward firewall...I am here to tell you they do not. Loo

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2001, 12:08 AM
ImportReview

Default Some people say H22A motors in civics lean toward firewall...I am here to tell you they do not. Loo

Prelude motors lean the wrong way? Well, i had my camera at work today...

and guess what? People that doubt are about to eat it! lol (jokes)

no, seriously. Maybe I am the only shop that does the H22A in the civic, the "right" way. Because many of you are correct in your assumption the H22A leans toward the firewall....it leans toward the firewall in preludes...accord motors lean toward the firewall also...

but there is a trick...here are the pics guys....

I can't help but enjoy this moment...boy whoever wrote that hybrid essay is so 100% totally wrong and has no clue.

side view....wow...looks perfectly level to me...NOT leaning...wait...let me break out the level....

wow. Look the bubble is exactly in the middle. The cam gears are near perfect level. Look for yourselves. Not leaning back? hell no.

yawn.

its even perfectly balanced from left to right...

finally the reason it does not lean backwards.....see that black plate right next to the level? That is called a: SPACER. Without this spacer, the prelude motor will fit just as it does in a Prelude...leaning a few degrees toward the firewall. BUT, this is not the case with people who know what they are doing. All of the H22A awaps in civics that I touch, or Dr. Charles will be done the right way...with a custom made spacer plate...so the cam gears are near perfect level and the motor sits perfectly upright and not leaning toward the firewall...

there are also more than 1 benifit to this....you see.....if you put the prelude motor in the Civic WITHOUT this spacer....the axles will sit at a funny angle....and thats a problem...they are not straight...and this leads to them popping out and joints breaking.

BUt, when you put the plate in there and the motor sits upright, you now have moved the axles to an almost perfectly straight angle.....so its optimal.

ok, ok. I hope this is put to rest. The people that witnessed this today now know the truth about Prelude motors in Civics, done the right way. Now you know ANYBODY talking like they know about preludes in civics with saying like..."leaning the wrong way" just don't know about what they are talking about.

13.6 in this hatch. Pretty stock, just bolt ons. Our Type-R hatch cannot keep up. But I still like type-R motors. I just can't afford it. So I will be cheap and go prelude. muhaha.

And just so you guys know, when the H22A goes into my 2000 hatch...it won't lean toward the firewall.

Damn I LOVE PRELUDE MOTORS. Buy them now, because after about 9 months, there won't be any left....cause when I tell and show the world what can be done...they will be coming in droves...

haha.

Jeff
Old 06-16-2001, 12:17 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Some people say H22A motors in civics lean toward firewall...I am here to tell you they do not.

Thank you. Thank you!!!! Finally someone backing up what I have to say about these motors. And by the looks of what your doing we should be buying these H22's up!! Damn, your starting to get on my good side. Have you seen pics of my car? If not, check this link! http://216.149.197.219/dscr/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003518.html
Old 06-16-2001, 12:19 AM
New User

Default Re: Some people say H22A motors in civics lean toward firewall...I am here to tell you they do not.

Hey, what mounts have you used to bolt that motor in besides the spacer your talking about? Where can I get one of these spacers?

[Modified by H22CIVIC, 9:20 AM 6/16/2001]

[Modified by H22CIVIC, 9:33 AM 6/16/2001]
Old 06-16-2001, 12:33 AM
New User

I'm sorry, but I can't notice the spacer where does it sit at
Old 06-16-2001, 12:36 AM
New User

In the last photo, it is right underneath the back mount!
Old 06-16-2001, 01:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not to disappoint Jeff, but dont you think they tilt back for a reason? Now why would Honda have the motor tilt back towards the firewall? Plus who ever said having the motor tilt back is the wrong way?

Well where the oil pickup is located, its supposed to tilt. So if you tilt it forward, its not leveled properly, and then the oil pickup is not working as effectively. I am sure there are many other reasons why the engineers at Honda with PHD's decided to make the motor tilt.

But hey, it sits like a B series now, so it must be right. I'm not trying to bash, but there are probably more reasons then you or I know about.

And as for axles popping out, i have never heard of that problem with the new mount kits made by either Hasport or HCP. So i see no benifit by doing this whatsover.

If there are benefits, please enlighten me. Thanks

PS. I thought you were no longer working for Charles anymore do to a discrepancy? I'm just curious, no biggie.

[Modified by GZR4DR, 2:59 AM 6/16/2001]
Old 06-16-2001, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not to disappoint Jeff, but dont you think they tilt back for a reason? Now why would Honda have the motor tilt back towards the firewall?

Well where the oil pickup is located, its supposed to tilt. So if you tilt it forward, its not leveled properly, and then the oil pickup is not working as effectively. I am sure there are many other reasons why the engineers at Honda with PHD's decided to make the motor tilt.

But hey, it sits like a B series now, so it must be right. I'm not trying to bash, but there are probably more reasons then you or I know about.

And as for axles popping out, i have never heard of that problem with the new mount kits made by either Hasport or HCP. So i see no benifit by doing this whatsover.

If there are benefits, please enlighten me. Thanks
Old 06-16-2001, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not to disappoint Jeff, but dont you think they tilt back for a reason? Now why would Honda have the motor tilt back towards the firewall? Plus who ever said having the motor tilt back is the wrong way?
First off Prelude motors (when in preludes ) tilt maybe 5-10 degrees from the vertical plane towards the firewall (using the deck of the motor as the plane for the motor). When you stik a level on it you'll get the same results as Jeff got since the valve cover is slightly curved. This means that they mounted the H22 in that civic the correct (i.e. factory) way. I've seen lots of picutres of civics with a lot more tilt then that.

Bottom line is that is the way the motor is installed in the prelude and that is the correct way to install the motor. So there goes the theory about tilt being good.

Gabe
Old 06-16-2001, 09:27 AM
ImportReview

Just so you guys know...

they tilt back like that to make the axles straight in a prelude....you tilt it straight up in a civic to make the axles straight./..

its as simple as that.

Jeff
Old 06-16-2001, 10:41 AM
New User

Import Review: Where can I get one of these spacers? Or can I get one of my machine shops to make one. I have the HASport kit and my axles do sit on a bit of an angle. Is there anyway on correcting the angle of the motor with these mounts? I figure I can not angle this motor differently because of teh driver side mount. I also heard a noise from one of my driveshafts last night for the first time!
Old 06-16-2001, 10:50 AM
ImportReview

Perfect.

Actually All you need is a think piece of sheet metal, drill holes in it so your mount goes on it, and put some metal on the bottom, so its about 1.5" thick and just bolt it up.

Then your axles will straighten out.

The reason your axles are making noice is because the joins get worn out from running hard at that angle for a long period of time.

Jeff
Old 06-16-2001, 11:21 AM
New User

Its only been about 2 1/2 months since this motor swap went in!! Now if I use that 1 1/2 inch plate for the back mount, will that not disturb the driver side mount? Oh yeah, with the angle those shafts are on plus having my car lowered about three inches probably does not help!!!