Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

So what can i do about the 5th/reverse syncro grind? =/

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what can i do about the 5th/reverse syncro grind? =/

So all 5th gen preludes 5th/Reverse syncro is bad right?

Latley ive been noticing my Reverse gear is notchy as fug and makes hella noise when reversing, like LOUD annoying noise, f@#K!!!

Google it up and search on here and other forums and immediately get hits for 5TH GEN REVERSE/5TH GEAR SYCNCRO is *** on the lude.

My question is, has anyone sucsessfully had honda replace it? or service it etc? Is it worth a shot? I know ive seen many people post up about notchy 5th gears, but supossedly the 5th/reverse syncro is the same, so it can affect either/or.

Give my some advice please, should i just call american honda so they can tell me they don't know wtf im talking about? or go to my local dealer so they can tell me to f@#k off? What the f@#K should i do???????? Tell me im not the only one! Top it off i only have 73k on it (which i know doesn't matter cause a bad sycro is a bad synchro no matter the mileage) but own the car for over 10 years now. Is there absolutely no way honda will cover this??

And lastly is is bad for anything else like the clutch/pressure plate? etc anything else it could SIDE effect? Cause obviously its going to f@#k 5th/reverse up the *** slowly but surley..

Im dissapointed as f#@k! At least the Si's did the bulletin on teh 3rd gear syncro, i can't belive that even the last year 01 prelude doesn't have **** about the 5th/reverse syncro..

How long till it goes about completly?
Insight please! .. please!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So what can i do about the 5th/reverse syncro grind? =/

About 6 months ago mine started like yours. Within 2 weeks it would no longer go into reverse at all.

I didn't have time to rebuild so I bought a remanufactured unit from a site sponsor Syncrotech.

http://www.synchrotech-transmissions.com/

While I was at it I had them throw one of their LSD's in before shipping it out to me. They also have a selection of synchro's & final drive gears to beef it up even more.

I didnt have the time to try to rebuild myself and there is a very short list of transmission shops in my area that will do anything other than swap reman'ed units out.

10,000 miles and so far so good.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

flush it with Honda MTF (the new formula) and see how it feels. If it still doesn't engage those gears as smoothly as you'd like, try synchromesh (GM, pennzoil, royal purple etc.) and see how the transmission reacts.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

People who ruin reverse did it themselves, it is a straight cut gear without a synchronizer to help it go into gear. 5th has a TSB on the shift fork causing the grind, other than that old or low fluid can easily ruin fifth as it's at the end of the mainshaft and wont get properly lubricated.

With your mileage Honda may actually cover 5th but reverse is totally your fault. Just go in to the dealer, tell them whats going on and see if they are willing to do anything about it.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i drained the tranny and added the new honda mtf and the 5th gear grind is less frequent now. all the other gears are smoother as well.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by godslayer
About 6 months ago mine started like yours. Within 2 weeks it would no longer go into reverse at all.

I didn't have time to rebuild so I bought a remanufactured unit from a site sponsor Syncrotech.

http://www.synchrotech-transmissions.com/

While I was at it I had them throw one of their LSD's in before shipping it out to me. They also have a selection of synchro's & final drive gears to beef it up even more.

I didnt have the time to try to rebuild myself and there is a very short list of transmission shops in my area that will do anything other than swap reman'ed units out.

10,000 miles and so far so good.

Wow only 2 weeks!?? holy moly! thats quick! I've heard different stories that it lasts alot longer than that, like months, years, but 2 weeks!! WHOA! I bookmarked the transmission site, but i really don't wanna dump money into my Lude casue i allready have a 2011 FA5, but thanks for heads up dude, how much did they charge you for your tranny anyway and what packeage?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dagle
flush it with Honda MTF (the new formula) and see how it feels. If it still doesn't engage those gears as smoothly as you'd like, try synchromesh (GM, pennzoil, royal purple etc.) and see how the transmission reacts.
I should change it your right its been a minute since about 10-20k since ive changed it but the last time i put in fully synthetic some really good stuff my homie recommended. I hope this is the case but i doubt it cause wouldn't the fluid affect other gears aswell, why would it focus on reverse solely?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by minilogoguy18
People who ruin reverse did it themselves, it is a straight cut gear without a synchronizer to help it go into gear. 5th has a TSB on the shift fork causing the grind, other than that old or low fluid can easily ruin fifth as it's at the end of the mainshaft and wont get properly lubricated.

With your mileage Honda may actually cover 5th but reverse is totally your fault. Just go in to the dealer, tell them whats going on and see if they are willing to do anything about it.

I will take to a dealer and see what they say. But ive never abused reverse, how is it my fault, really? i mean i would understand 1st 2nd 3rd even 5th, but reverse? im baffled lol cause i really do baby my lude. I do need to change the oil its been about 15k or so but im amazed at why it would hammer just reverse? fack! lol thanks for your input!

btw its not a grind going in to reverse, it a grind when i am actually reversing. a loud grinding clanking noise, mainly just reverse is my main issue.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Luder
i drained the tranny and added the new honda mtf and the 5th gear grind is less frequent now. all the other gears are smoother as well.
I can see how it would help 5th, but ill change my tranny to some good synthetic oil and see, you really think itll help a nasty loud damaging sounding grind from going away, or just help lessen the damage allready done? Cause this griding started to happed all of a sudden! its not like i gradually heard it slowly getting louder, one day it wasn't there, the next day it was hell freezing over while reverseing!
Old 03-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Masterbobo
I should change it your right its been a minute since about 10-20k since ive changed it but the last time i put in fully synthetic some really good stuff my homie recommended. I hope this is the case but i doubt it cause wouldn't the fluid affect other gears aswell, why would it focus on reverse solely?
What kind did you put in? Honda uses, and requires, a lower viscosity oil than what most transmission fluids are. The book tells you to use either A) Honda MTF or B) 10W30 in a pinch.

Feel free to read about the woes of the Honda 5 speed transmissions:
http://www.preludeonline.com/f89/tip...nation-106113/
Old 03-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by godslayer
What kind did you put in? Honda uses, and requires, a lower viscosity oil than what most transmission fluids are. The book tells you to use either A) Honda MTF or B) 10W30 in a pinch.

Feel free to read about the woes of the Honda 5 speed transmissions:
http://www.preludeonline.com/f89/tip...nation-106113/
Honestly i don't remember the name, according to my mechanic it was some very VERY good synthetic stuff that he recommended for my lude. I will read that thread when i get some more time tommorow, thanks for your input.
I was thinking of throwing in some new Amsoil synthetic tranny fluid, imma try to get the best stuff they make and see what happens, is that cool? Or should i absolutley stick with Honda MTF casue i wanna say according to what ive read over the years that most people don't even use the honda stuff, but im going to do more research tommorow when i get back form work. I hope this issue is minor and not as big as a deal as im making it out to be. But again I'm going to throw in whatever is the absolute more recommended stuff by not only honda but from what all prelude communites suggest aswell. (What do you guys suggest btw? I hear really good things about Amsoil?) and take it to a tranny specialest in the next couple weeks and try to come up with some conclusions after some investigation. Wish me luck lol.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Edit: Not a tranny issue, you guys are gonna laugh lol

Wow you guys are not going to believe this.

My problem had nothing to do with my transmission.

This is gonna sound so stupid lol my freikin GIGANTIC neuspeed front sway bar was banging against my cats heat sheild and causeD it to create a catastrophic noise in reverse. If it were the stock exhaust it wouldn't have hit it, but since the ApexI WSII + tanabe smr pipes in my cat back relocate the cat forward more towards the front, the huge sway bar and the relocated oem cat were banging against each other, esspecially in reverse.

haha f@#$king stupid *** ****!!! The forth mechanic i took it too finally pin-pointed the problem, can you blieve that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????? wow!

Moral of the story is that i DON'T have any grinds in any gear, and i hope thats cause i really do baby my transmission and never force it in gear and always revmatch when upshifting or downshifing. So far i have 74k miles on it and i hope i could go another 75k to make it 150k without any major problems or more!

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT EVERYONE! THIS STORY LUCKILY HAS A HAPPY ENDING! (for now lol, crosses fingers!!!) THANKS AGAIN!