Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Slipping gears and Dirty transmission fluid Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipping gears and Dirty transmission fluid Help

I just replaced the clutch around 2 months ago. And I noticed since last month that the clutch is slipping when you are fully accelerating on the 3, 4, and 5 gear. Means when you floor the gas on those gears.

I brought the car back to the shop, they opened the transmission and found that the clutch plate was all wet with oil. We figured that the oil leak was caused by the seal on the back of the flywheel is not good.

Now the other problem, the transmission fluid that we flushed has a silveriesh color, we suspect that there is some metal friction inside the transmission. When the car in idle and neutral position, we heard some little noise from the transmission area. But the gear shift smoothly, no grind what so ever.

The shop suggest me to replace the whole transmission too, but all I want is the gear not slipping anymore. So, they were not sure if the slipping was caused by the wet clutch plate, or because of the gears in side the transmission is messed up (since the silverish transmission oil color). I really hate to spend money on the transmission. If anyone can help, is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slipping gears and Dirty transmission fluid Help (co_seem)

did you get your rear main fixed? oil on your clutch assembly will some **** up.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Slipping gears and Dirty transmission fluid Help (xxmastermindxx)

Which rear main?
Old 10-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear main is the oil seal behind the flywheel.

Have that replaced.

Next time use honda MTF, see if you have the same problems....
Old 10-24-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Re: (mgags7)

Yep, I will have that rear main seal replace for sure. But what I also wonder is whether the slipping was cause by a messed up transmission or the slippery clutch. I know that oily clutch will contribute to the slipping, but will a bad transmission also cause slipping when you are accelerating?

Thanks for the help in advance guys.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (co_seem)

a dying trans probably can cause slip, but i'd say it's your oil coated clutch.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:08 PM

Default Re: (xxmastermindxx)

OK, now I had the rear main seal replaced and the oil clean from the clutch. I also use GM Synchromesh transmission fluid.It is not slipping on the gears anymore. But the noise still coming out from the tranny. Sometimes the noise is there and sometimes it disappears. I only can hear the noise when it is in idle and neutral position. The noise disappears when you put you feet on the clutch. The noise is like when marbles touch each other. It shift fine from 1-5 gears without grinding. But when I shift at VTEC on the fourth gear to fifth gear, the RPM drop like almost 2K.

Do you guys think it is the tranny that messed up, or something else. Thanks again from all the help guys.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:18 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

gears dont "slip" they grind. slipping is clutch.
as far as the noise that is there in neutral....and then goes away with your foot on the cluth it sounds like the throwout bearing is going bad to me, would not be surprised if it got soaked with motor oil and the grease was washed out of it.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That noise could potentially be the input shaft bearing, or the throwout bearing.

You say it only does it in neutral? If you rev it up does the noise get faster and louder?

Try this, get it to start doing the noise, and just put a little bit of pressure on the clutch pedal, but don't depress it fully. If it shuts up then, the throwout bearing is bad. If it doesn't go away until the clutch is all the way released, the input shaft bearing in the transmission is bad.