Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Significant gains with the CAI

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Significant gains with the CAI

Well I got my first bolt-on installed, a CAI, so I'm not longer bone stock, lol. To be honest, I didn't think gains with these were significant enough to say "Yeah i can see a difference." I was actually skeptical about it. Well to test out my new toy, I took it for a spin against my buddy's 2000 Civic SI. He has had intake and exhaust on it since he bought it, and when we raced before, the winner was basically whoever had a better launch, because no car would pull on the other, and that didn't seem right to me, having much larger HP and TQ numbers. Well this time, on BOTH runs, my car pulled over a full car length ahead by 3rd gear, despite he had a better take off on one of the runs. His 1.6 just can't hang with it, lol. Oh and this isn't a Kill Post. Just posting my new gains with the cold air intake--definitely a worthwhile investment for only 50 bucks
Old 02-03-2002, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Significant gains with the CAI (typeSwarrior)

What brand is your CAI?

Jay
Old 02-03-2002, 11:04 PM

Default Re: Significant gains with the CAI (Diversion)

Nakayama Racing
Old 02-03-2002, 11:42 PM
New User

wow really?

I found it fairly easy to beat my friend's Si everytime we've raced...even though he has basic bolt ons when compared to my one exhaust lol. I can't say that now though...he has a b20 block
Old 02-04-2002, 03:13 AM

man, i would cry if a non-charged civic hung with me. even if my lude was stock...
Old 02-04-2002, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Significant gains with the CAI (wutangben)

man, i would cry if a non-charged civic hung with me. even if my lude was stock...

no kidding. a civic with minor bolt-ons should fall back several car lengths by 3rd gear
Old 02-04-2002, 08:26 AM
New User

Come on guys, he has a 5G. Cut him some slack.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:11 AM
New User

Default Re: Significant gains with the CAI (laughin2.2)

Uh oh! Here we go again.......................... Anyways, you should be able to smoke a civic si (Canada) with those mods, I actually had some guy in a si rev on me at a stop sign. I had my girlfriend in the car with me who gets pissed at me every time I accelerate hard and a full tank of gas. Well, I proceeded to accelerate normally then I hear the loud sound of exhaust as he floored it, anyways I did not even downshift and was in second gear at around 3000 rpm's. I floored it and by the time I was at redline in 2nd I was already 2 and a half car lengths ahead, then I shut it down with my girlfriend yelling at me to slow down. Moral of the story: I hardly ever race, but when I do, it is to prove a point and teach a lesson.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Significant gains with the CAI (laughin2.2)

LMAO! i love it
Old 02-04-2002, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Significant gains with the CAI (Mike95lude)

LMAO! i love it
LOL... sucks fer j00 y0!
Old 02-04-2002, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Significant gains with the CAI (JG Luder)

Cool, hope to have mine by Friday, and install it this weekend. Laughin2.2, what was that about 5th gen? I am suprised the Civic can hang with you, are you auto? How about the Civic?
Old 02-04-2002, 03:42 PM

Sorry to make this long but.....
Guys, I don't see why you think sooo highly of your Preludes over Civic SIs. I mean, yeah, Preludes are more powerful, and are nicer cars, I will agree....I'd take one over a Civic anyday. But the obvious is there...I mean some of you say you can beat a slightly modified Civic SI with a stock Prelude by car a couple lengths when the cars barely run a half second slower in the quater stock. And when you are in the 15-16 second range, a half second is NOT 3 cars lengths. Besides, my car would barely pull on his without anything done to the my car--that has nothing to do with the driver, it has to do with the engine's strength (especially when our take-offs were dead even). Also, the previous owner of the SI fully tuned the stock parts in his motor, that may help some you know, and the power to weight ratios of the two cars are about the same, if not very close. To give you an idea of how quick his car is, the previous owner ran nose-to-nose with a 300z TT until 3rd with a 60shot of NOS, and then HE pulled on the Z. His car shouldn't even be near 200 to the wheels and yet he hung with a 300+HP powerhouse and beat it? I'd say his car runs very nicely....
On a futher note, not all cars of the same make and model come out of the factory with the same HP and TQ numbers. Specs for cars are given by averaging all the numbers of a certain number of cars made. That's why some stock Preludes are faster than other stock Preludes......I'm not trying to flame on peeps but it seems that no matter what car they have, they ALWAYS say they can pull so and so much on another car they believe to be slower, when some cars just happen to run better than others. Besides, how many 8-10 second drag Preludes are there compared to Civics?
Old 02-04-2002, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Significant gains with the CAI (Toretto)

Toretto, we are both 5sp
Old 02-04-2002, 03:48 PM

how many 8-10 second drag civic's use Prelude motors? How many 8-10 drag civics use civic motors?
Old 02-04-2002, 03:56 PM

Obviously the Prelude motor is better in a Civic, that's 1 up for the Prelude. But it looks like time-slip wise, the H22 or H23 is better in a Civic, so that should tell you that Preludes are basically stuck with what they have, no swaps here. Besides, you're missing my point. Why do all Lude drivers think they have the fastest Honda? Stock vs. Stock, yeah, a Prelude owns a Civic, but a stock Prelude against a tuned Civic, and minor bolt-ons, cmon, why argue the stock Prelude is still faster? I was just commenting on the gains I got with the intake alone, and that it made a hell of a difference...but instead of "good to hear" i get "i'd cry if a civic hung with me." I know a few guys with Civics here in town that will own any of your guys' 13 second Preludes, and they have B16s and B18s, not H22s and H23s. I'd rather have a Prelude though, because I don't like Civics nearly as much, but I don't make my car out to be the fastest just because it has a bigger motor.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:05 PM

The Civic si is a pretty quick car, but liek you said, the Prelude is a nicer car, and is a half sec minimum faster than the SI. Also, the Prelude's engine is quite a bit bigger, so its pottential should be better. Prelude's go fast with class. But both are good, they are Honda's afterall.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:12 PM

You're right Toretto, it has more potential. My CAI alone already made me faster than him, and he has a tuned motor, an installed intake, and removed muffler (even better than aftermarket cat-backs performance wise). So I thought that making my car much that much faster for 50 bucks was pretty damn good.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:18 PM

Yeah, and the next time my Lude cranks it will be set up for mid 12 second runs on street tires. Full leather interior and stereo, NOT stripped. If I wanted 11's, I'd strip it and treat it like every other kid with a Honda trying to get an extra 5 lbs out of the car for that extra edge at the street races.

You're arguing with air here.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:23 PM

Yea, getta remember that the Civic is a few hundred pounds lighter, which makes up for some of the HP differance. I was going to go with that CAI, but was told to go with the tried and true Iceman intake, oh well, getting mine for 120, not too bad, glad to hear your getting some good performance. If both drivers are equal, the Civic's mods should close the gap, which is what happened until he got his CAI.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:26 PM

Actually JG Luder, why not just run alot of juice or boost and run 11's or even 10's. You obviously know your stuff on rebuilding engines, with that, build a bullet proof H22, and crank it up.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:34 PM

I'm not arguing...oh yeah, mid-12s, 11 if you wanted? Ill believe it when I see it, but I do not doubt you. I hear lots of talk and no action from basically anyone who says stuff about "future mods" and whatnot. Besides, you are probably 1 of every couple hundred members on this board who has really built a good Honda engine period. JG, I respect you for the fact that you really know your poo poo, and you know how to build your car, and you already have 13s under your belt---I'm not tryin to be an a-hole, I'd actually like to learn a little more from you. I'm just speaking in general to those who need a wake up call--Preludes are not the fastest cars on the street. Oh yeah, my buddy's low 11 second CRX will get ya
Old 02-04-2002, 04:51 PM

Well, there's always a faster something out there. Period.

As for talk, I hate talk with nothing to back it. I have the Prelude sitting in the garage right now being prepped to take it aaaaaaaaall back apart.
Old 02-04-2002, 05:06 PM

Yea, there are people who would like to build up their Lude, and then there are those who will and do. I am not usre, cause I am just getting started, but I think it takes that first mod, and if your hooked, your hooked. I dont know why so many people think the prelude is a heavy car, and is limited by its weight. This has to be false, just look at cars like the Supra, almost 500 pounds on the Lude, and with 700 whp, they will run the 1/4 mile in 10 seconds. A Lude wont take that much HP, just like a Civic wont take as much HP to run the same 1/4 mile time. Its just that a barrier ipoo poo. The Supra's barrier seems to be non-existant, seeing as how they have ran 8.03 in the 1/4 mile with over a 1000hp, doubt any single person could get a 1000hp out of the H22.
Old 02-04-2002, 05:13 PM

Yeah, but Toretto, Supras are not inline fours. They have 6 cyclinder engines capable of more power to pull that extra weight--just like V8 Mustangs have all that power. In their case weight really doesn't play as much a factor as it does to a four cylinder engine, just because they produce tremendous power. Not to mention that twin turbos on Supras help fairly significantly, lol. But I know what you are saying though.....I'm not being smart
Old 02-04-2002, 05:28 PM

Yea, very true. My point that I probably didnt state very clearly is that a Prelude with 600whp will probably run side by side with a Supra that has 700hp, but I might be wrong.

Quick Reply: Significant gains with the CAI