Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Serious hesitation on my '92 Prelude Si

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious hesitation on my '92 Prelude Si

It happens when I press on the gas from a complete stop and while I'm holding a speed at low RPM.

From a complete stop, say at a red light, the hesitation period varies. The shortest being 1/2 a sec. and the longest lasting almost 3-4 seconds. Right after it gets itself together, it pretty much launches me forward because I've pressed the pedal down for a good bit at that point.While I'm holding the speed, it lasts as long as I'm at that low RPM range, roughly around 1000-2000.

A little background, it is an automatic, H23A1. The spark plugs are new, all gaskets have been replaced, head was machined and has had the valves changed according to the seller. I've got a general understanding of cars but from V8's since I've driven them all my life. My mom's Expedition had almost the same problem and changing the spark plugs fixed the problem there. Unfortunately it didn't work here.

Any help would be awesome. Also, first post
Old 11-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Serious hesitation on my '92 Prelude Si

Calibrate the TPS? Sounds like the throttle position sensor (TPS) may not have gotten put back exactly right or was replaced and needs calibrated. Search for that and you should be able to find the procedure. Also, if that doesn't work, you may need a new TPS, then make sure you cal it after install. If not, as you open the throttle, the computer won't know to add more fuel, so it hesitates.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be egr related. Pull the egr valve electrical connector and when it throws the code, which turns off egr, see if it still does it.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by mherkamp
Calibrate the TPS? Sounds like the throttle position sensor (TPS) may not have gotten put back exactly right or was replaced and needs calibrated. Search for that and you should be able to find the procedure. Also, if that doesn't work, you may need a new TPS, then make sure you cal it after install. If not, as you open the throttle, the computer won't know to add more fuel, so it hesitates.
Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Could be egr related. Pull the egr valve electrical connector and when it throws the code, which turns off egr, see if it still does it.
I'll add both of those to the list of things to do for the weekend. Any other theories I could test out?
Old 11-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Trial User

Also, would replacing the cap, rotor and wireset do any good?
Old 11-07-2012, 02:22 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wiresets go for a long time, especially if it's NGK or OEM. Just go cap, rotor, and plugs.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I am a bit confused, is it the engine hesitating, or is the engine building some rpm, but the car isn't moving?

Sounds a bit more like a torque converter or tranny issue should be examined as well at this point.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Open up the distributor cap and check to see if your rotor has come loose because the screw holding it down might have backed out.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:01 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by snobordboy
I am a bit confused, is it the engine hesitating, or is the engine building some rpm, but the car isn't moving?

Sounds a bit more like a torque converter or tranny issue should be examined as well at this point.
No, its hesitating. Although the tranny does have some rough shifting while on the road. I'm not tackling that though since I'm converting to manual in the near future.

Originally Posted by 1funryd
Open up the distributor cap and check to see if your rotor has come loose because the screw holding it down might have backed out.
I'll definitely check that out. Anything that saves money is a good thing