Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Rebuilding Clutch Pressure!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding Clutch Pressure!!

So, I bought a brand new clutch slave cylinder and installed it today. After installing I tried to bleed it but it won't work. The peddle is completely loose, with no pressure at all. This happened when I had my clutch replaced too. The mech. could not build pressure from slave so he had to bleed it from the master. Is that what your suppose to do first? The peddle is so loose it stays on the floor and the thing that pushes the slave cylinder in doesn't even move. HELP!!!
Old 05-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

QUICK BUMP..I really neep help!
Old 05-24-2006, 03:31 PM

it sounds as if the system as all ready been bled out. you need to refill the system with clutch/brake fluid to build the pressure back up.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Rebuilding Clutch Pressure!! (Mr.Luder)

i just replaced my slave cylinder last month.

with fluid in the master cyl. reservoir use your hand to build pressure by pumping and pulling the pedal back and forth.

pump about five times, then hold it down and have someone release from the slave. tighten the slave and repeat.

initially, no fluid will go through. after two or three sets of pumping/pulling/releasing, fluid will go through. towards the end, you will be able to just use your feet because the pedal will come up on its own. keep going until there are no air bubbles left.

Old 05-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok after posting this thread, i figured it out. i got pressure now and the peddle feels pretty smooth. after building pressure i went ahead and bleed it a few more times to be safe..each time i opened the bleed valve..the peddle stayed and didnt come up, So my buddy would pull it up and the pressure is still there. We continued to do it a few more times but the peddle still stayed down each time I opened the bleeder valve. Did we not do enough pumping and bleed? How many times should we pump before opening the bleeder valve?
Old 05-24-2006, 08:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Mr.Luder)

I am having a similar problem right know. I just replaced my master and slave cylinder. But I cant seem to build any pressure at all. Everything i try to build pressure the clutch keeps staying down adn doesnt come up at all. Even though i pump the clutch like 30 times and then hold down and open the bleeder screw and then close and repeat.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guys you need to consider how hydraulics work here.....when you put in those new cylinders theyre full of air, fluid will not just flow through, if the air is at the highest point, its not going to displace

when you install a new master cylinder, bench bleed it......make sure the inlets and outlets all are submersed in fluid, then move the piston slowly in and out a few times, trying all kinds of different angles to work as much of the air out as possible

then when installing try your best to not let the fluid leak out

when bleeding, about 4 VERY SLOW pumps on the clutch pedal, then hold it down, then open the bleeder, when youre done bleeding, do one more and instead of keeping the bleeder valve open until the fluid stops, open it then close it while there is still pressure coming out

hope that clears it up some