Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Question on Greddy Turbo Kit for 97-01 Prelude Base

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Greddy Turbo Kit for 97-01 Prelude Base

Does anyone have the Greddy Turbo Kit for their 97-01 Prelude Base? I'm not sure if it makes a difference if it is base of type sh. Anyway, I heard that the greddy turbo is best for stock internals or for someone who doesnt have much engine work. ANd FMAX or other turbos need completely rebuilt engines... and that if i boosted at 6psi then i'd dyno around 220 whp....

feedback please~ thanks in advance
Old 02-13-2003, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Question on Greddy Turbo Kit for 97-01 Prelude Base (SleekBlkPrelude)

Does anyone have the Greddy Turbo Kit for their 97-01 Prelude Base? I'm not sure if it makes a difference if it is base of type sh. Anyway, I heard that the greddy turbo is best for stock internals or for someone who doesnt have much engine work. ANd FMAX or other turbos need completely rebuilt engines... and that if i boosted at 6psi then i'd dyno around 220 whp....

feedback please~ thanks in advance
Well I don't think they make them for the SH because it will mes up the ATTS (or vice versa). I also don't think that it comes with a FMIC. I think that you would dyno at like 190-200 at the wheels with the kit due to low boost and no FMIC(which also makes it more heat which is bad).
Basically this kit doesn't offer nearly as much stuff as the competition and costs just as much (even more if you want the optional FMIC.) Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:31 AM
Boostless97Lude

Default Re: Question on Greddy Turbo Kit for 97-01 Prelude Base (HaleLude)

GReddy kit is only for the base model 5th gen lude
puts down ~215-220whp on a stcok engine
with FMIC, estimated at ~240-250 whp on a stock engine (depends a lot upon outside temps, elevation, etc)

i have yet to get mine on the dyno, but even at those boost levels, i will probably be producing slightly more horsepower due to the fact that i am running an AEM EMS standalone, and tuning is the key.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question on Greddy Turbo Kit for 97-01 Prelude Base (Boosted97Lude)

The Base kit only makes 195 or so BHP. If your going forced induction just go with the JRSC....Yeah nothing sounds better than a BOV at full throttle, but best bang for your buck is the JRSC (240 or so BHP)
Source from Turbo, when they did the bolt on Turbo/forced induction....And the Base kit is the best kit around for stock internal engines....you may want to upgrade your fuel system though

[Modified by madcatz, 12:30 PM 2/13/2003]
Old 02-13-2003, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Question on Greddy Turbo Kit for 97-01 Prelude Base (madcatz)

The Base kit only makes 195 or so BHP. If your going forced induction just go with the JRSC....Yeah nothing sounds better than a BOV at full throttle, but best bang for your buck is the JRSC (240 or so BHP)
Source from Turbo, when they did the bolt on Turbo/forced induction....And the Base kit is the best kit around for stock internal engines....you may want to upgrade your fuel system though
The base kit without an intercooler makes more than 195 on a manual transmission. As Boosted said above, it makes about 215 or so. 195 whp is the number that has been put down by ludes with auto trannies. Interestingly, the stock JRSC kit puts down the same numbers for each tranny, not surprising as it is nonintercooled boost.

[Modified by sharkcohen, 6:41 PM 2/13/2003]
Old 02-13-2003, 10:03 AM
Boostless97Lude

Default Re: Question on Greddy Turbo Kit for 97-01 Prelude Base (sharkcohen)

The base kit without an intercooler makes more than 195 on a manual transmission. As Boosted said above, it makes about 215 or so. 195 whp is the number that has been put down by ludes with auto trannies. Interestingly, the stock JRSC kit puts down the same numbers for each tranny, not surprising as it is nonintercooled boost.
nah, i was wrong, it nots like i've got a GReddy kit, or know what i am talking about or anything
Old 02-13-2003, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think you know what you're talking about, and I guess you don't have a Greddy kit too. The quality of the Greddy kit is much better than Fmax or Drag. For what you're looking for the Greddy kit should be sufficient, and yes, I do have the Greddy kit, and I'm running the Type-31 intercooler as well.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Question on Greddy Turbo Kit for 97-01 Prelude Base (mugenbb6)

I don't think you know what you're talking about, and I guess you don't have a Greddy kit too. The quality of the Greddy kit is much better than Fmax or Drag. For what you're looking for the Greddy kit should be sufficient, and yes, I do have the Greddy kit, and I'm running the Type-31 intercooler as well.
Why do you say that the quality is better? Have you seen the FMAX and DRAG kits? Also, isn't the Greddy internally wastegated? I'm not sure what that means but I remember someone satying that that's a downside. What did you pay including the FMIC?
To the guy that said that the JRSC puts down 240 that's at the flywheel. More like 200-220(230 with amazing tuning) at the wheelsand perhaps 240 with the 9 lb. pulley.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:03 AM
Boostless97Lude

Why do you say that the quality is better? Have you seen the FMAX and DRAG kits?
everything FITS!!!! not like the damn DRAG kits where you have to modify a bunch of **** first. the F-MAX kits are good, but, with GReddy stuff, you don't have to worry about any flaws
Old 02-13-2003, 11:12 AM

Why do you say that the quality is better? Have you seen the FMAX and DRAG kits?

everything FITS!!!! not like the damn DRAG kits where you have to modify a bunch of **** first. the F-MAX kits are good, but, with GReddy stuff, you don't have to worry about any flaws
My friend had a Drag kit for a few months but then his altenator wires kept melting because the dp was too close to it. Then he got a JRSC, didn't like the power, so he sold that and got the GReddy. Everything fits nicely now
Old 02-13-2003, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question on Greddy Turbo Kit for 97-01 Prelude Base (swrdply400mrelay)

dude you dont have to get bitchy about it....Im just puttin out ##'s that Ive read out of Turbo....jesus man its not like the worlds gona end
Old 02-13-2003, 11:43 AM
Boostless97Lude

well, your numbers were wrong....

EDIT: and yes, i'm an *******

[Modified by Boosted97Lude, 3:48 PM 2/13/2003]
Old 02-13-2003, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well no **** you ******...I come over here to see what its like because I got some good reviews from one of the long term members, and I get my *** jumped on the first post...I mean **** being a fellow luder, you could have at least corrected me saying no, the figures are this....not your WRONG I own one with your ******* nose in the air....Glad I dont think im comming back
Old 02-13-2003, 11:58 AM
Boostless97Lude

well no **** you ******...I come over here to see what its like because I got some good reviews from one of the long term members, and I get my *** jumped on the first post...I mean **** being a fellow luder, you could have at least corrected me saying no, the figures are this....not your WRONG I own one with your ******* nose in the air
no, see, i am blunt, and straight forward, i have been proven wrong many times before, the thing is, just admit your were mistaken, and move along, not to get all defensive and be a hardass, e-thug about the whole thing
....Glad I dont think im comming back
no skin off my back
Old 02-13-2003, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Question on Greddy Turbo Kit for 97-01 Prelude Base (SleekBlkPrelude)

HAHHAAHA...

yo, thanks for the help... i just wanted to know if the greddy turbo kit for 97-01 prelude was trustworthy and reliable with stock internals.... i'm hoping to get all that work done to my engine so i won't have to worry so much, but from what i've been hearing, the greddy turbo works well with stock internals...
Old 02-13-2003, 02:31 PM

nah, i was wrong, it nots like i've got a GReddy kit, or know what i am talking about or anything
Huh? Your numbers were right, and I was agreeing with you. Did I miss something?
Old 02-13-2003, 02:33 PM

yo, thanks for the help... i just wanted to know if the greddy turbo kit for 97-01 prelude was trustworthy and reliable with stock internals.... i'm hoping to get all that work done to my engine so i won't have to worry so much, but from what i've been hearing, the greddy turbo works well with stock internals...
No one kit is going to be safer than another on stock internals. It is about having the proper fuel setup and engine management for your needs and getting GOOD TUNING.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:20 PM
Boostless97Lude

Default Re: Question on Greddy Turbo Kit for 97-01 Prelude Base (sharkcohen)

Huh? Your numbers were right, and I was agreeing with you. Did I miss something?
nah, not you, i was just being a smart *** towards whoever it was that said my numbers were wrong
Old 02-19-2003, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hahaha, you defenitely don't know what you're talking about. What an idiot. Drag mainifolds are good? Have you seen the Gen2? Explain to my why they keep cracking? The place that installs mine installed turbos and superchargers on serveral cars. They even worked on a Saleen. They also said that it was so easy to install. Everything bolts right up, and the only thing you have to modify is the battery tray. Even they say Greddy's quality is better than Fmax or Drag. It's true external wastegate is better than internal, but that's why it's going to be carb exempt. And as for the price, I got both the turbo kit and intercooler for $3295. Maybe you should start researching before babbling your mouth around, cuz you act like you own a turbo kit.

[Modified by mugenbb6, 10:02 PM 2/19/2003]
Old 02-19-2003, 08:22 PM

speaking of......are they in the works for the sh turbo, or are they like screw it and on to something else?!?!? i might have to throw that damn, heavy, atts out the car
EDIT: talking about the greddy kit btw

[Modified by POSlude97, 12:23 AM 2/20/2003]
Old 02-19-2003, 09:52 PM

. They also said that it was so easy to install. Everything bolts right up, and the only thing you have to modify is the battery tray. Even they say Greddy's quality is better than Fmax or Drag. And as for the price, I got both the turbo kit and intercooler for $3295.

[Modified by mugenbb6, 10:02 PM 2/19/2003]
I'm defilly gonna get the greddy turbo kit for my 2001 prelude... i heard its the best for my car and install is easy too... so how much is a good price for install? and how u get the kit and intercooler for 3,295? that sounds like a good deal...

INFO PLEASE!!!
Old 02-20-2003, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm running the kit on my 00 lude, even though it only works for 97-99. If you try to install it on your 01, it'll throw codes. I swapped my ecu out with a 99 one at the dealer. After that, it's straight bolt on for the kit. I got my kit from turboevo on PO. I don't know if he still sells them at that price, probably at $3395 shipped now. I highly doubt Greddy will make it work on the SH, cuz the atts, from what I heard, will kick in after so many psi.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to know how it looks like, here's the link.
http://www.bayareaprelude.com/cgi-bi...f=3;t=71;st=30
Old 02-20-2003, 04:57 PM

greddy kit on stock internal 5-speed prelude puts out 227whp with intercooler
Old 02-20-2003, 05:19 PM

Damn atts
anyone want a 97 sh?!?

Quick Reply: Question on Greddy Turbo Kit for 97-01 Prelude Base