Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Project Prelude M

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Prelude M

Hi,

Maybe some of you remember me? You can take a look at the thread if you miss it: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/project-first-world-civic-powered-subaru-2763036/

*Sorry for my English, I do the best I can.

Now it’s time to get a little crazier with my new project. The reason I take the time to share is to inspire others. This thread will be different because when I started the thread about the Cibaru, it was almost complete. This one will be more like a weekly update. It will allow you to ask more questions and maybe give me ideas on how to do things. Please, don’t ask for update. If something goes wrong and this project never ends, well, at least you will have seen some work done!

The reason why I do this project is mostly to challenge myself during the winter since I have a seasonal job and have nothing to do for 5-6 months. The past 2 years I’ve been traveling but this time I’ll get frozen in the cold winter of Québec. This is my time frame; I want to get the car rolling on May first.

Why a Prelude 3rd gen? In fact, I was looking at others candidates for the project like a Beetle Classic (the old one), Nissan 240 SX and the Toyota Supra Mark II. What I like about the Prelude third generation is the hidden headlight and the general line of the car. The front end is low and the proportion of the car is really nice. I don’t have it now but I still have time to find it since most of the work will start in November. Now it's more a preparation stage than an actual build.

What the M stand for? It stands for the first letter of the donor car that I will use.

Mazda? No

Mitsubishi? No

Mercedes? No

2013-08-16

That’s right, a Maserati!

It’s a Maserati Quattroporte 2005 with 64 000 M. The damage is directly on the door jam.

When I bought the car, the plan was to repair it but I found more damage than expected at the front. This is the front right and even though is doesn’t look that bad, the part needed is impressive and expensive! The sub frame is bent, radiator, condenser, engine oil reservoir, 2 hose for the oil engine, 2 hoses for the AC, 1 engine mount, plastic guard, plastic duck for the radiator.

So after crushing some numbers, I realize that it will cost me too much for the repair as I was planning to sold it after. The cost of the car was a little bit too high for the repair needed, I should have paid 2000$ less because of the front damage. The profit will be to low so it was not very interesting to spent time working on it. A decision was made to part out the car. If you need parts, let me know.

What is the project? Drive train swap on a custom build frame with hidden roll cage. The interior look is still unknown right now. Eventually, some parts of fiberglass or maybe carbon fibber. I’ve learn a lot about composite the past year and I would like to try make my own mold and make my part.

If you don’t know Maserati engine, it’s a V8 4.2 litter with 395 hp @ 7250 RPM. The transmission is a Duo Select manual/automatic, I’ll explain that later. The Maserati Quattroporte 2005 weight 4375 pounds, have a ratio of 47/53 and can do 0-60 in 5.1 sec with a top speed of 170 mph (drag limited, .35 cd). Now, remove a lot of pounds and hide this engine under a Prelude hood (.34 cd)… it should be interesting.

Let the fun begging!

Yannick

Last edited by Cibaru; 08-30-2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: resize images
Old 08-19-2013, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project Prelude M

2013-08-18

Driver seat weight 70 pounds! Painful to remove.

2013-08-19

First wiring coming out, It was hard to remove the dashboard since I didn’t have the workshop manual for it. I have all the mechanical stuff but nothing on the interior or wiring. This is why everything is writing down on tape. All the wiring will go on the Prelude; it’s to make sure all the component work correctly. Then, I will remove the unnecessary like the sound system, gps, etc. Honestly, who need a sound system when you have an engine with a sound like that!

Yannick

Last edited by Cibaru; 08-30-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn man, you are an inspiration to all builders.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

whoa, I will definitely be following this build. I'm tickled with curiosity
Old 08-20-2013, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm in for this
Old 08-20-2013, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I love your builds, cant want to see the final product.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Daughter not possible

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Canuckian

At it again eh ya crazy bastid!
Old 08-20-2013, 08:54 AM
Superfly

damn the OP is nuts.

good luck getting the engine to fit under the hood. other people would just cut a hole in the hood and call it a day, but i'm sure the OP can do it.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This thread is insane.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2013-08-20

This is the amount of insulation; I'll have to weight that.

No more wiring in the front section...

It's impressive how much wiring this car have, I'll have to weight all of it later, too curious.

Engine almost ready to go out

No more wiring was an illusion...

The gas tank is located inside behind the rear seat.

All the wiring is time consuming but It has to be done correctly to save time later.

Last edited by Cibaru; 08-30-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're absolutely insane and I'm loving it! Good luck with the build, I'll definitely be following along.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Count me in
Old 08-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, from quebec too?
what part? Im south-shore, mtrl.
Let me know what meets you hit up, I wanna see this in person when it's completed!
Old 08-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Baroc
wow, from quebec too?
what part? Im south-shore, mtrl.
I'm from the middle! La région de la Mauricie.

Here some pictures of a Prelude 2001 that I have done in 2008. It was repair to be sold after, I've done like 10 km with the car.

Last edited by Cibaru; 08-30-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gonna be sick build. I woulda parted that prelude lol. Mine only has a lil damage in the front and needs a motor tho but is diamond pearl white
Old 08-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gzes
...diamond pearl white
It was not because of the cost for the paint. The car was for sale so I've chose the arctic white that was a lot cheaper. It look as good as pearl white.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2013-08-30

After a better look at the rear sub frame, I will not keep it.

This is the transmission shaft and it made out of steel.

It's not like a Corvette where you have a drive shaft inside the torque tube. This is a shaft on bearings. I don't know how the inside look like since I was not able to find the exploded view of the part yet. I'll need to shorten this shaft. Worst case scenario, I'll have find someone to make a new one and it will probably be expensive.

This goes into the transmission.

The engine is ready to go out.

The rest of the car will be out of the garage soon and a new one will be there shortly after...

2013-08-31

Well, first bad thing happen, I broke the clutch pressure switch. The part alone is probably expensive and worst, I need to go to the dealership to bleed the clutch bearing since it's done with the computer...

What's left to remove is the brake line, fuel line and the wiring.

Still looking for a car... I have the opportunity to buy a interesting one but there a problem, it's not a Prelude...

Last edited by Cibaru; 08-31-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:03 AM
Daughter not possible

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I made a thread on a Prelude site seeing if they know of any cars. I'd hate for this to be another Civic or something. I loved the work in your Cibaru but I honesty hate EG hatches no matter whats done to them.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:55 AM

Haha, wow this will be cool.

Nothing a tube frame and a bunch of wiring can't solve.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man if you pull this off I will put a Canadian flag on my porch
Old 09-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed, I am would definitly like to see how you get around the low hoodline.

We cant even do the K20 swap into the 3rd gen because you would need to build a custom tube engine rear subframe to allow the bell housing and other things to clear. As well as keep the hood in tack without modifying it.

But if you are going for cut and welding then, it does not matter at that point.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

post this on www.jdmrides.ca too. everyone there will go crrraaazzzyyyyyy for this
Old 09-02-2013, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1funryd
I am would definitly like to see how you get around the low hoodline.
This is the most challenging part, the answer lie in the fact that the engine will be way far back. The high is at 28 inches so I may have to modifies the hood to clear everything. I do not want to, is that or the ride height of the car will be higher witch is not a option I consider. Don't forget this is a custom frame build so I'm not restricted by the factory engine compartment.

2013-09-02

Wiring and computers, total weight of 100 lbs!

Last edited by Cibaru; 09-02-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cibaru
This is the most challenging part, the answer lie in the fact that the engine will be way far back. The high is at 28 inches so I may have to modifies the hood to clear everything. I do not want to, is that or the ride height of the car will be higher witch is not a option I consider. Don't forget this is a custom frame build so I'm not restricted by the factory engine compartment.

2013-09-02

Wiring and computers, total weight of 100 lbs!
I figured that you would be needing to go that route.

Will you using the factory dash or will that be thrown out for a custom dash? If you sit it back as far as I think you need too, then the Heater core is going to be in the way, in which case you will just need to leave that out.

I know you can do anything you desire since this is all fabrication, I just wanted to know how much of the OEM you will be keeping or will you be completely disgard everything for a racecar setup???

Quick Reply: Project Prelude M