Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Problem diagnosing CEL Random Misfire Cylinder 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem diagnosing CEL Random Misfire now all cylinders

edit: now all cylinders are misfiring with DTC's 300-304 and the 1399 that does not exist.

I have searched quite a few times and while this topic has been covered, i've already tried everything suggested. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Ecu reset after each, CEL returns within 24 hours. No hard driving, just highway cruising lately. Performed compression test, 240 across the board, so see no need for leakdown. Also valves are +1mm stainless ferrias with less than 40k, same as timing belt. Car has 120k.

So moving on, I'm looking at the CKP (Crankshaft Position) sensor, since it determines timing for fuel and ignition, or maybe the CYP (Cylinder Position) sensor since it reads #1 for the fuel injection and my problem is #1. I found one post in the search that mentioned the CKP, so i'd like to know if anyone has heard of this fixing random misses.

Seriously, anything that comes to mind, by all means... Can't think of that many things that only affect one cylinder.

Modified by limpmode at 2:44 PM 3/7/2006

Modified by limpmode at 5:44 PM 3/14/2006
Old 02-23-2006, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Problem diagnosing CEL Random Misfire Cylinder 1 (limpmode)

bump again. also CEL came on right after shop put a new clutch and flywheel in. don't really see that as relevant but if i'm missing something someone speak up.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:27 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by limpmode &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump again. also CEL came on right after shop put a new clutch and flywheel in. don't really see that as relevant but if i'm missing something someone speak up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Check VSS. Does your speedometer and trip odometer and everything work fine?
Old 02-23-2006, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Problem diagnosing CEL Random Misfire Cylinder 1 (TheKINGPin)

Yeah other than the normal reading 4mph higher it works fine. Also the CEL (after a reset) can pop on anytime, idle, cruising, traffic, does'nt seem to be affected by speed.

Only time you can really feel anything odd is at idle it does'nt seem to idle perfectly smooth, sometimes it's around 800rpm, and can range down to around 600, but no fluttering, it holds constant. also this does not happen when the car is cold, only once it has been driven for awhile, like when i get off the highway and hit a light. so far anyone who has listened to the idle says it does'nt sound or feel odd, but i guess i'm a little more sensitive to it, being my car and all.

real head scratcher.

but still car runs fine, though i'm not vtec-ing it much to see how hard it will pull. I'll look into the VSS later weather permitting.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:20 PM

im having the same problem with my 97 lude. same symptoms, code p0301 cylinder 1 missfire. changes ignition set and didnt change it. let me know what you find out ive been under the hood for 2 days now and cant figure it out.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just reset the ecu and see if the CEL comes back.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:00 AM

Default Re: (Honda Sport)

try a tune up. i had that problem and i had to change the spark plugs and wires.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Problem diagnosing CEL Random Misfire Cylinder 1 (TheKINGPin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by limpmode &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump again. also CEL came on right after shop put a new clutch and flywheel in. don't really see that as relevant but if i'm missing something someone speak up. </TD></TR></TABLE>
ha! hows this for relavent .. i know its two different cars but on my 240 there is a cps crankshaft position sensor on the tranny... when i did the clutch i broke it .. and well u can guess what code i got [cylinder misfire] .. donno if that help any but check w/e sensors u have on the tranny ... .. btw my lude at hi rpms the check engine come on with cylinder 2 misfire and goes to limp .. wierd **** anyone kno?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Problem diagnosing CEL Random Misfire Cylinder 1 (david1686)

CKP (crankshaft position) sensor is a possibility, but the scan tool did not pick up any sensor codes. Also on H22 CKP is not on the tranny side anyway. and the posts b4, like i said already did tune up stuff.

Modified by limpmode at 7:30 PM 3/4/2006
Old 03-07-2006, 10:34 AM

update:

had the car scanned again and now misfire on all 4 (DTC's 300-304) plus that P1399 code that does not exist. Someone has to have an idea. Also the idles smoother when it's cold. But once warmed up, problem is definitely getting worse. Revs will drop to about 500 when coming to a stop at a light, etc. The misfires are more noticeable now, they can be felt at idle. again, plugs/wires/rotor all replaced, along with injector cleaning. compression tests fine. loss of power while driving is little if any. No sensor codes coming up. someone suggested bad ground as result of clutch install. will check that ground after work but could that cause the misfires?

Modified by limpmode at 2:46 PM 3/7/2006
Old 03-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have you checked your valve lash ?

Id say pull the VC and do a valve adjustment then try again. Also, pull your coil and ohm test it according to the helms manual and make sure you are getting the correct resistance.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the crank angle sensor is located in the distributor on a h22a and on the oil pump in the h22a4.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Problem diagnosing CEL Random Misfire Cylinder 1 (Sleeping_H22_DC2)

valve lash makes sense. problem is mostly at idle so they could be too tight. have to wait for the weekend, still gets dark too early. would the lash being improperly adjusted affect compression at all? test showed 240 on all 4.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:59 AM

Pulled and cleaned EGR valve, it had a decent amount of buildup. still no change, idle still rough. still no code other than misfires. this weekend will prob see IACV getting tested and cleaned, may just pull the whole manifold and clean it since the EGR was pretty carboned up. also fuel filter, but i'm pretty sure it's getting good fuel pressure.

Parts guy at dealership suggested one or both O2 sensors, saying his accord had this problem, he went thru everything, never got a sensor code, then tried the secondary O2 and it was the problem. FSM says nothing about O2's so my question is if it goes bad could it run rich enough to cause a misfire? Figured it's possible with all the carbon buildup after 40k miles.

Even if no one has a solution i'm keeping this going since there seem to be quite a few older posts like this that never found (or at least posted) a fix. I def will post a fix if i find it.

Old 03-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem diagnosing CEL Random Misfire now all cylinders (limpmode)

Go with a tune up my plugs were causing my car to miss fire. Personally don't go with bosch's they blow.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Problem diagnosing CEL Random Misfire now all cylinders (limpmode)

also had some noticeable hesitation below 3000 coming home from work.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you tried a good working distributor, makes sense that it would only get worse when it warms up. a bad distributor will sometimes not even throw a code before it starts acting up and craps out
Old 03-18-2006, 06:59 AM

Default Re: (PrettyLude)

will try switching with brother's SH when he's in town. Still leaning to one or both O2 sensors, as i'm pretty sure it's running very rich. carbon is building quickly in the EGR since cleaning and the back bumper has been blacker than normal lately, just noticed since i had not washed the car much since it started till last week.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:18 PM

Default Re: (limpmode)

I switched distributors and coil packs with my brother's SH, taking both apart to inspect for moisture, damage, etc, no problems in either and no change when switched. CEL returns, same bad idle, same hesitation.

Went to the honda dealership to get new O ring for the dizzy and spoke with the techs there and was told to drill and pull the EGR pipe plugs and check for buildup. The tech told me to just blast it with some carb cleaner and and clean out as much carbon as possible with the mani still on. So i go ahead and get the new plugs and a fuel filter (in case i still have the problem).

Modified by limpmode at 3:50 PM 4/2/2006
Old 04-03-2006, 07:12 AM

pulled EGR port plugs, cleaned ports and pipe, once all the carb cleaner flushed through car ran great, no hesitation, smooth idle, definitely regained some power.

Till the CEL came back. Still runs better than before, but hesitation below 3k returned.

What I have done so far:

Replaced spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Switched distributor and coil with ones known to be good (also visually inspected ICM and CYP sensor for moisture/corrosion). Pulled and cleaned EGR valve and ports and installed new port plugs. Checked all vacuum lines. Performed compression test (240 all over).

posting just in case anyone is still reading this. i think someone said they are having this problem too.

will have it scanned again today, just in case s sensor DTC popped up or something.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:28 AM

I think the problem might be solved. I went to double check the EGR and the spaces between the ports did not totally flush out. Cleaned them out again and after a reset have not seen the CEL again.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever solve this problem? I have the same problem and can not resolve the issue. I have done the same fixes as you, but the problem still persists!
Old 10-19-2006, 08:08 AM

Bringing back an old thread cause I really wanna know. Thanks, Wj
Old 10-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in the same boat as well.

Like they said there are many threads like this, but very few of them with an answer.....

Old 10-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nafreak)

Been researching another angle to this, and I was wondering if anyone thinks that this could be related to one the crank sensors? Crank position sensor or crank fluctation sensor....?

lots of threads.... no answers

Quick Reply: Problem diagnosing CEL Random Misfire Cylinder 1