Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Problem with the Center Brake Light. Help Please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with the Center Brake Light. Help Please.

I have replaced my brake lights with LED bulbs and when I push the brake pedal my brake lamp light turns on. I know this is because of the lack of current the LED bulbs draw as compared to the current draw of the incandescent bulbs. Now, when I replace my center brake light bulbs with LED bulbs and then turn the Key to the Ignition position (with the light switch set to on)my brake lights are on as if the brakes are pressed. Has anyone tried to remove their center brake light and ran into this problem? Is there a way to fix this without putting in Load Resistors to fake the current draw of incandescent bulbs?
Old 10-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just put the resistors in?

Take a look at the wiring diagram for the lighting system, post it if you like, I'll show you why you're having problems.

You should always use load resistors with LEDs, unless the ones you have are specialized for use without resistors, you won't be using all 12 volts, and then you'll have bigger problems.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mgags7)

The reason I want to use LEDs is because of the low power consumption. I want as little load on my charging system as possible. If I put in load resistors it defeats the purpose. They still would look nice but I want function and fashion if possible. I know it's possible but I wanted to know if anybody has done it before so there might not be such a steep learning curve.

I'll have to get the diagrams from Honda or is there an online source I can find it?
Old 10-15-2007, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mgags7)

why wouldnt you be using all 12 volts ? If its the last load in the circuit it will use all available voltage unless it has resistance on the ground side that would act as another load.

Your brake lights are on or your parking lights are on ? Because your brake lights should only activate with the brake switch. It shouldnt matter in that case if your using different bulbs or not the circuit shouldnt have current their anyway.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dRiv3R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dRiv3R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The reason I want to use LEDs is because of the low power consumption. I want as little load on my charging system as possible. If I put in load resistors it defeats the purpose. They still would look nice but I want function and fashion if possible. I know it's possible but I wanted to know if anybody has done it before so there might not be such a steep learning curve.

I'll have to get the diagrams from Honda or is there an online source I can find it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No thats incorrect. Electrical resistance causes current to go down. Therefore it shouldnt be a draw on your charging system. The only time current increases is high mechanical resistance or a short to ground, which in many cases will pop a fuse or breaker.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lude98SH)

Honda has a funny current sensing circuit it uses to tell you when a brake light bulb burns out. When the bulb burns out there is no current draw therefore the light in the dash comes on. When you put in LED bulbs the current draw is so small that the circuit thinks that a light is out and turns the dash light on. This is very low tech stuff. But thats not my problem I don't care that the light turns on. I want to know why my brake lights are on solid when I unplug the center brake light (again only when the key is in the ignition position and with the lights on).
Old 10-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dRiv3R)

when u say center brake light u mean the light in the dash .. correct ?
Old 10-15-2007, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lude98SH)

No, sorry if it came across that way. When I say center brake light I mean the light in the rear windshield or the third brake light.