Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Prelude Clutch Replacement & Release bearing Noise

Old 10-09-2014, 08:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Prelude Clutch Replacement & Release bearing Noise

I've told you and proved to you exactly how the throwout bearing is held away from the pressure plate. I feel like I'm losing brain cells each time I document how that small amount of force in the slave cylinder is overridden by the clutch assist spring and clutch free play adjustment. Even the Helms tells you how. If you actually knew how to read you wouldn't be making yourself look bad in each successive post now.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:31 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Originally Posted by B serious

With the slave cylinder installed and the clutch freeplay set 100% properly...can you push the fork towards the clutch fingers more before it stops (is that where the freeplay is?)? Or is the fork already butted up against something?
^^??
Old 10-13-2014, 04:48 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The discussion appears to have moved to here for those keeping score...

https://honda-tech.com/transmission-.../#post50000310
Old 10-14-2014, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am here to say that I greased my fork where the slave cylinder meets it and I haven't heard the noise since. I still need to take my transmission off for a rebuild because my shifting isn't as smooth as it should be.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thirsk66
Well I am here to say that I greased my fork where the slave cylinder meets it and I haven't heard the noise since. I still need to take my transmission off for a rebuild because my shifting isn't as smooth as it should be.
I hope you used Genuine Honda Fluid.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Blue Lude
I hope you used Genuine Honda Fluid.
Yes I have used Honda genuine MTF from the day I installed my euro-r swap. I even went as far as changing the oil after putting only 3,000 miles on the transmission. Im really out of ideas as to why it shifts poorly at times. I know the transmission takes 2 quarts of fluid when changing it, so I just have to assume the transmission wasnt cared for in its previous life in Japan.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I have used Honda genuine MTF from the day I installed my euro-r swap. I even went as far as changing the oil after putting only 3,000 miles on the transmission. Im really out of ideas as to why it shifts poorly at times. I know the transmission takes 2 quarts of fluid when changing it, so I just have to assume the transmission wasnt cared for in its previous life in Japan.
Maybe they never used Genuine Honda MTF.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

awesome, dude, glad I could help
Old 10-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
awesome, dude, glad I could help
Yes holmesnmanny I am happy that it helped, but my issue that has always been the worst for me is I still cant figure out why shifting is so poor on my transmission most times. I have replaced the shift cables with brand new ones, newer clutch kit and flywheel with the throw out bearing. And still the only thing I could think of is a rebuild with new synchros and bearings. I think I have tried every thing I can before a rebuild unless I am missing something.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Over time the synchro springs wear, along with the synchros themselves, and if you are already using Honda MTF, and you have only a small amount of free play, because having too much play can cause issues as well with shifting, then only a full rebuild will help your tranny. Sorry to say it.

It's most important to get your clearances correct when you do your rebuild so unless you plan on doing another rebuild after in the future it would be best to have someone like synchrotech doing the rebuild.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Over time the synchro springs wear, along with the synchros themselves, and if you are already using Honda MTF, and you have only a small amount of free play, because having too much play can cause issues as well with shifting, then only a full rebuild will help your tranny. Sorry to say it.

It's most important to get your clearances correct when you do your rebuild so unless you plan on doing another rebuild after in the future it would be best to have someone like synchrotech doing the rebuild.
Yes I agree its most likely time for a rebuild on my trans. I have a close friend whose dad was a professional transmission master tech, so I will have him rebuild it using the synchrotech rebuild kit. I just hope that is the issue after spending that kind of money on parts and labor.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:20 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Hey dude, one more thing, if you have too much free play it's possible that the pressure plate isnt fully disengaging the clutch. Check how much free play you have first. It should be no more than a half an inch. If you have like an inch or more that would cause shifting issues and it would happen in all gears. If you have good free play and it happens in one or two gears or so it probably is a worn tranny so just check.