Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Prelude (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/)
-   -   poor mans h22 build (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/poor-mans-h22-build-3251390/)

sublimeluder 06-24-2015 06:35 PM

Re: poor mans h22 build

Are they really that bAD? I know I've read a lot of post about them failing but I assumed this.was on high HP builds,turbo (heat) or people not replacing or checking at timing belt replacement. Im pretty anal about checking belts and such. I just figured I'd keep an eye on it. If it's really that bad I guess I will be switching to manual. Thanks for the info. I had to stop by harbor freight and get some sanding rolls for head. I went ahead and got a compression checker while I was there. Lol I should've waited until next wk 25% off sale. I'll recheck compression tomorrow and do a leak down.

yohan 06-25-2015 08:37 AM

I also had an auto tensioner fail ... I couldn't remove the brass bolt in the side of the block to do manual conversion, man that sucked when it went....

Kaizenspeed is about the same price and won't fail, totally worth it IMO. I wouldn't build an engine without one today (don't know why it took so long for it to become avail.)

sublimeluder 06-25-2015 07:21 PM

Thanks yohan. Im definitely gonna get that one or try to fabricate my own. Im getting ready to order a timing belt kit. It looks like I should have all parts and actually start build the first of August.

sublimeluder 06-26-2015 12:00 PM

Well im in the middle of checking my compression and doing a leak down test. Everything is going good the fist 2 cylinders read 200. I was pulling the hose out of the second cylinder and realized the fitting was still on the hole. It's a 2 piece fitting. I tried screwing it back down and the fitting won't come out. I put some red loctite on it. Hopefully that'll do the trick .

sublimeluder 06-26-2015 02:47 PM

Alright the loctite worked and I finished checking the cylinders. 205,190,200,200 There all within range. I left gauge hooked up for about an hour on each cylinder. I couldn't hear any air leaks and numbers didn't move. I think the rings and valve guides are in good shape. The rings may be a little worn but ok.

sublimeluder 06-28-2015 11:32 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...29e3d300d0.jpg
Hey guys I just posted this pic in kashmillians exhaust thread. I was hoping y'all may have some info on it. It's a tri y header made by DNA motoring. Pro tuning labs has them for $215. It sells for $378-400 on Ebay if it's same one. Also is this the hytec replica that kronn use to sale?

Sparksman 06-29-2015 01:24 AM

Kronn sold PLM's for pretty much what you can get them on ebay now. I went through him and saved like $50 bucks I think though. Got mine a year or two back.

I have a couple small DNA things, I won my oil catch can from them. So as far as a company there pretty badass. But as for products, they tend to be cheaper. I wouldnt buy it unless there are dyno results by a 3rd party person. No dyno, no buy in my opinion. At least PLM's can claim 10-15hp gain legit. Still a knock off, but a working knock off.

Preteclude 06-29-2015 12:42 PM

My favorite gen lude. Let me know how it turns out

sublimeluder 06-29-2015 02:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. Dna motoring just sent me a message regarding header. I'll post back with some answers. Im sure it's made a little cheaper because $215 is a awesome price. Im pretty confident that it'll make some power since it's a step up design. Im probably gonna be purchasing as this is a poor mans build and I don't wanna wait and save extra $$$ thanks again for replies I'll definitely take suggestions under consideration

sublimeluder 07-02-2015 05:55 PM

Hey guys my timing belt kit should be here tomorrow. I hate not getting OEM but its all good. I ordered a kit from domestic gaskets. Mitsuboshi timing belt and bs belt though I probably will be deleting. Npw water pump and gmp bearing/tensioner. I can't wait to get everything and install. I'll probably install rear mount and change front pads/rotors this wind. She's gonna be like a brand new car by the time I get all this done. By the way I've got a complete d16z6 w/o crank I'll be putting up for sale if anybody interested. Cheap

yohan 07-05-2015 05:57 PM

coughcough es motor mount inserts coughcough .. you'll thank me :) butt dyno will love it.

sublimeluder 07-05-2015 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by yohan (Post 50425134)
coughcough es motor mount inserts coughcough .. you'll thank me :) butt dyno will love it.

Thanks for reply but idk if I could stand the vibration. I bought front and rear elcheapo mounts. The front is holding up ok and I'm getting ready to install rear. I don't think there gonna be able to handle abuse though. I'll definitely check them out.

sublimeluder 07-05-2015 06:17 PM

Here's the parts so far.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...afe645f392.jpg

Idk about the Mitsuboshi t belt. I'll probably just run it 40,000

sublimeluder 07-10-2015 07:20 PM

Well I got home today around 8 and decided I was gonna change out my rear engine mount. I couldn't take it anymore. The problem is I bought an elcheapo mount from eBay and it won't line up. I compared with the old mount and the middle bolt hole sets up higher. Idk I gave up at dark and gonna try again in morning. Any suggestions? Hopefully I can jack the rear of block or back of trans to realign. I doubt my local Honda has a mount in stock or I'd just go get it. Oh and by the way I'm gonna order the rest of parts I need Monday to get the build started

sublimeluder 07-11-2015 06:17 PM

I gave up on the elcheapo mount and modded my old one. I stuck fuel line hose and vacuum hose in mount. Then I put I soft construction adhesive around it. I was surprised it turned out pretty good.

sublimeluder 07-13-2015 10:17 AM

If any one is keeping up with this I'd like to get your opinion. I was going to order a yonaka cat back but there all sold out until August. Should I wait til August or should I buy a Megan cat back? Another option is custom vibrant set up with crush bent aluminum exhaust pipe. I can't afford $400 exhaust so I'd appreciate any advice

sublimeluder 07-16-2015 02:02 PM

Summer time when the livings easy. Shhhiiit whatcha no about that lol. Well looks like I'm just doing a basic rebuild except for shaved p&p head and header/exhaust. I just bought NPR rings and king bearings. I'll be stopping by Honda tomorrow and getting front main seal and balance shaft seals. I guess I'm gonna keep balance shafts idk. How many of y'all have did delete on dd with no issues

snobordboy 07-17-2015 06:52 AM

I took the belt off on a stock H22 and drove it for years without issues, and then did the full shaft delete on my H23 builds, and I did the homebrew method, which is cake if you have the engine torn all the way down, and can get the metric dowels locally.

Searching for $20 balance shaft delete should find it for you. If you do that, be carefull pressing in the freeze plugs, I cracked one oil pump by going too fast.

sublimeluder 07-17-2015 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by snobordboy (Post 50441708)
I took the belt off on a stock H22 and drove it for years without issues, and then did the full shaft delete on my H23 builds, and I did the homebrew method, which is cake if you have the engine torn all the way down, and can get the metric dowels locally.

Searching for $20 balance shaft delete should find it for you. If you do that, be carefull pressing in the freeze plugs, I cracked one oil pump by going too fast.

Was the vibration real noticeable? U wouldn't happen to know the size of the dowels would ya? I'll search I'm sure I can find it. I'm thinking about getting type s pistons and cams. I can always do exhaust later on idk. Im not wanting to put to much money in it. I've got a crx with a b18 and its been setting for a few years. So its gonna take quite a bit to get going.

snobordboy 07-17-2015 11:25 AM

I would say that the first few weeks I noticed a vibration at very specific rpm points when cruising on the highway, but I couldn't notice any after that, or even remember what they felt like it was so slight.

https://honda-tech.com/all-motor-nat...moval-2391818/

sublimeluder 07-17-2015 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by snobordboy (Post 50442280)
I would say that the first few weeks I noticed a vibration at very specific rpm points when cruising on the highway, but I couldn't notice any after that, or even remember what they felt like it was so slight.

https://honda-tech.com/all-motor-nat...moval-2391818/

Thanks for the link but I'll probably just order the kit. I'm planning to rebuild over the wknd with out removing engine. I figured I'd just cut balance shaft in half. I bet the h23 is a beast I'd love to swap or just find crank and rods for decent price

Apex1972 08-02-2015 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by sublimeluder (Post 50433486)
I gave up on the elcheapo mount and modded my old one. I stuck fuel line hose and vacuum hose in mount. Then I put I soft construction adhesive around it. I was surprised it turned out pretty good.

for about 40 dollars you could have gotten inserts for both front and rear mounts. nice ghetto rigged build you got here.
nice 1320 posts. i make my posts a 1/4 mile at a time.

sublimeluder 08-02-2015 07:34 AM

Lol thanks. I've never used inserts I'll have to do some more research. I think my rear mount should hold up ok though. My elcheapo front mount is definitely getting replaced by stock OEM mount.

sublimeluder 08-02-2015 11:03 AM

I haven't been able to post much. My brother does road racing and I've been helping him with his bikes. Besides that I haven't had much to post. I started this thread way to early and not enough funds. Oh well I'll try to keep it going anyway. Ive been looking for a good used set of cam gears but no luck. So I'm stuck between vms and obx. The vms is made of the same 7075 aluminum as S2. But the obx looks like its better made. Idk any opinions.

sublimeluder 08-03-2015 03:14 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...eb23fc5c77.jpg

After hearing all the horror stories I got a manual tentioner. I've got everything for the rebuild except some go fast parts. A week or 2 before rebuild I'm gonna take balance shaft belt off. If vibrations aren't to bad I'm gonna order delete kit. I'm sure if I buy new OEM mounts vibrations will be bearable. Lol of coarse I didn't get ks tuned this is a poor mans build