Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

only starts when push started (may not be starter or battery)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default only starts when push started (may not be starter or battery)

i have read on an on about a no start but i can't find a thread about prelude only starts whn pushing it off so here's the long story. 6 months ago i noticed that when i go to start the car no dash lights would come on and once the car quickly turned on and off while driving. right away i knew it was a switch problem. before i found a switch i replaced the starter and battery because i was having trouble with those as well. i cleaned the switch terminals (Inside the white piece on the ignition switch and everything was good. then my fuel pump went out and i replaced that as well. A week ago i drove it for about a mile to the store and came out and it would not start. i turn the key and all lights were on and the car was turning over but would not start. at first i thought the fuel pump was faulty because i couldnt hear it run when i turned the key but then i noticed that i was not getting any spark from the coil to the distributer cap. the fan was running so the fuel pump may have actually been running. So today i replaced the switch. after replacing the switch (wiring harness only) it would not start but i did hear the fuel pump running. i checked for spark while letting someone else crank the car. while cranking there was no spark BUT as soon as he let the switch go, i saw spark. not sure if i am checking spark correctly. first i took a screwdriver and put in the spark plug boot next to a ground and checked. Nothing. then i held the coil wire to the inlet on the distributor cap and thats when i saw spark after my helper release the key. While cranking there was no spark. We took a gamble and push it off and it started right up. got home and tried to crank same problem. pushed it off again and started. the first time it done this i let it sit overnight at the store and the next morning it started right up. Any ideas? I'm lost. Battery is about a year old, refurbished starter, new fuel pump, engine will crank but will not start. after i replace dthe switch i drove it 30 miles on the highway without a problem. someone mentioned the main relay in another forum. i checked it and found that the relay has been bypassed. three wires are spliced together. i had the car now for 3 years so the bypass has been for at least that long. heres a link to the pics.. http://www.preludepower.com/forums/a...p?albumid=4697

Last edited by machaux; 11-26-2016 at 08:49 PM. Reason: picture link
Old 11-27-2016, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: only starts when push started (may not be starter or battery)

PROBLEM SOLVED.. the wires on the ignition switch was backwards in the vrack going into the fuse box, re-pinned them and now all is good!
Old 11-27-2016, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: only starts when push started (may not be starter or battery)

PROBLEM SOLVED.. the wires on the ignition switch was backwards in the harness going into the fuse box, re-pinned them and now all is good!