Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread (prelittlelude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

sorry reading owns me , your vtec is working, just verify iabs are functioning, and go from there, it could be something else related to air or fuell,..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bingo!! I figured it out...I feel like a idiot but, I am in the process of boosting my car and went ahead an installed the intercooler and pipes and had the filter on the hot side of the pipes and I guessed that the engine was having trouble sucking air though the 2.5 in. pipes and intercooler. Oh how I missed the sound/feel of VTEC.

Modified by BlueLude94 at 8:37 PM 5/27/2006
Old 05-27-2006, 05:04 PM

Default Re: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread (BlueLude94)

This is really starting to bug me and boy do I miss vtec.......anyways my car revs to 8000 rpms just fine in every gear but no high end power or vtec. besides oil pressure (which i am now thinking is the problem) does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 05-27-2006, 06:06 PM

ive got a suggestion, if u think ur oil pressure is **** i wouldent be reving to 8k
Old 05-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread (tcontesh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tcontesh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is really starting to bug me and boy do I miss vtec.......anyways my car revs to 8000 rpms just fine in every gear but no high end power or vtec. besides oil pressure (which i am now thinking is the problem) does anyone have any suggestions? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you boosted? if so are you tuned(i.e. hondata, crome, uberdata, ect.)

edit: reading owns me too...have you changed anything since you got tuned?
Old 05-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread (tcontesh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tcontesh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is really starting to bug me and boy do I miss vtec.......anyways my car revs to 8000 rpms just fine in every gear but no high end power or vtec. besides oil pressure (which i am now thinking is the problem) does anyone have any suggestions? </TD></TR></TABLE>

with a good tune vtec crossover should be seemless. i tuned my boosted prelude myself and at vtec cross over there is very little noticable change in exahust tone. the car pulls very strong the whole way.. depending on who tuned you car they might have actually done it right..

if you still belive your having a problem and you have no CEL then start looking into oil press.. if you have lower oil press at hihger rpm it won't kick a cel but there will be no vtec.. but you should have hit a 6500 rpm limit. but this can all be bypassed depending on what your tunned with.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread (CHK4TIX)

What kind of problems would a dented oil pan cause?? Would it crack if you pounded out?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread (globy123)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by globy123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What kind of problems would a dented oil pan cause?? Would it crack if you pounded out?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes your vtec will work better
Old 01-22-2007, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread (globy123)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by globy123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What kind of problems would a dented oil pan cause?? Would it crack if you pounded out?</TD></TR></TABLE>

it didn't crack when it got dented, its not going to crack when you pound it out. and it will fix ur vtec problems
Old 01-22-2007, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tom is your vtak still not engaging?? I can't believe how long this thread is.....

lol
Old 01-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bb4ever)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bb4ever &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tom is your vtak still not engaging?? I can't believe how long this thread is.....

lol</TD></TR></TABLE>
on me, i for got to plug the power cord in, dur thats why there was no dial tone..

Atleast this thread gets some use from time to time. i should really re read it and update it... so much to do..
Old 01-22-2007, 10:21 AM

I own A V-afc for couple years and experiance the same as others about walling before 8k. it's been a year since i started the car. Just yesterday i fired up the car to get the blood moving however, I wasnt able to drive due to icy conditions. For the guys that experiance the rev limit. Just out of curiosity does this occur in motion or stationary.

And my second question for eairly walling is too the pro tunners.. we all agree that Ecu have set rules by honda. What can happen if we play with timeing followed by set values in ecu?

Modified by ricedadee at 11:42 AM 1/22/2007

Modified by ricedadee at 11:45 AM 1/22/2007
Old 01-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ricedadee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ricedadee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I own A V-afc for couple years and experiance the same as others about walling before 8k. it's been a year since i started the car. Just yesterday i fired up the car to get the blood moving however, I wasnt able to drive due to icy conditions. For the guys that experiance the rev limit. Just out of curiosity does this occur in motion or stationary.

And my second question for eairly walling is too the pro tunners.. we all agree that Ecu have set rules by honda. What can happen if we play with timeing followed by set values in ecu?

Modified by ricedadee at 11:42 AM 1/22/2007

Modified by ricedadee at 11:45 AM 1/22/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok well i had a REALLY hard time understanding u so i will answer the best i can. If you have a stock honda ecu with no vafc or vtec controller then vtec will not engauge when sitting still and reving it. The iabs will open and thats all

as far as the tunner question. with any after market ems or chipped honda ecu you can disable any or all of the vtec checks.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:38 AM

Sorry prelittlelude, I didnt mean to thread jack.. just figure help some people with VAFC..

But, to be on track Vafc as two V-tec connections
VTo - Original V-tec signal from ECU
VTi - Set Signal from Piggy --&gt; V-tec Solenoid
When V-tec value is differnt it changes values to VTM to prevent CEL

Rmmmm Bahhhh!
The joy of v-tec

Modified by ricedadee at 1:28 PM 1/27/2007
Old 03-11-2007, 03:52 PM
0TT
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (prelittlelude)

Ive got a very good question thsat im sure you can answer (prelittlelude)

I have a JDM siVTEC 4ws Prelude.

In japan its speedo was in KPH, when imported 4x years ago; it had somthing put onto the VSS speed sensor (maybe a resister string??, anyway...) this was to 'trick' the speedo into reading MPH.

As a result of this the vehicle nolonger has a speed-restrictor at 120mph but It WONT engage VTEC in 1st-gear since it doesnt think im going fast enough to justify engageing it, i.e. one of the engagement condistions.
I uses to be a member of a forum in which somone had done a diagram of how to wire a 'push to make' switch so that you can manually engage VTEC in 1st gear.

What I want to know is HOW DO I WIRE A SWITCH UP SO I CAN engage VTEC in 1st geat?

Will
Old 03-12-2007, 05:06 AM
0TT
Honda-Tech Member

BUMP TTT realy need to know this. Had my import for four years with no 1st Gear VTEC
Old 03-12-2007, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (0TT)

you should not just make a switch to do this, if the ecu isn't engaging vtec then you will not have the right fuel and spark if you FORCE the solinoid open.

as far as i know many people have ran a jdm p13 on usdm preludes just fine, so that means that you should be able to use either a jdm or usdm speed sensor. if it were me I would get a usdm gauge cluser and take out what ever this hack is that your talking about on the speed sensor.

what ever route you take I severly advise aginst a switch. the ECU will still be on the low cam maps for fuel and spark, and then you risk hitting the 6500 rpm rev limit anyway.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:25 AM
0TT
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (prelittlelude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you should not just make a switch to do this, if the ecu isn't engaging vtec then you will not have the right fuel and spark if you FORCE the solinoid open.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand the possible lean conditions/detonation that could occur if it was manually engaged at too low or high an rpm, but VTEC engages in every other gear except 1st. when the car was first imported and still restricted and the speedo still read KPH;... then 1st gear VTEC worked asolutely fine! it is just because the speedo conversion kit is 'manipulating' the VSS signal into thinking the vehicle is going slower (i.e. reading in MPH) so it thinks can NEVER automatically reach an adequate speed to engage in 1st gear! The car is mechanicaly fine and well serviced at the Honda dealership. Hell I dont even need the traction control on in 1st, but in 2nd thats another story.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as far as i know many people have ran a jdm p13 on usdm preludes just fine, so that means that you should be able to use either a jdm or usdm speed sensor. if it were me I would get a usdm gauge cluser and take out what ever this hack is that your talking about on the speed sensor.

what ever route you take I severly advise aginst a switch. the ECU will still be on the low cam maps for fuel and spark, and then you risk hitting the 6500 rpm rev limit anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is it a possibility that this 'hack' I read about just manipulates the VSS signal to ECU?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 0TT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I understand the possible lean conditions/detonation that could occur if it was manually engaged at too low or high an rpm, but VTEC engages in every other gear except 1st. when the car was first imported and still restricted and the speedo still read KPH;... then 1st gear VTEC worked asolutely fine! it is just because the speedo conversion kit is 'manipulating' the VSS signal into thinking the vehicle is going slower (i.e. reading in MPH) so it thinks can NEVER automatically reach an adequate speed to engage in 1st gear! The car is mechanicaly fine and well serviced at the Honda dealership. Hell I dont even need the traction control on in 1st, but in 2nd thats another story.

Is it a possibility that this 'hack' I read about just manipulates the VSS signal to ECU? </TD></TR></TABLE>

what ever is done to you VSS signal is probably done right near the VSS because the gauge cluster and ecu get their own feed after a split at the VSS.

if you force vtec engaugement in first then the car will probably bog hevealy and run lean and not have the correct spark timing. YOu need to figure out how this hack is working and either get rid of it, or get a clean signal direct from the vss right to the ecu which goes around this "hack"
Old 03-13-2007, 03:21 PM
0TT
Honda-Tech Member

maybe they just change my jdm vss sensor for a uk vss sensor?

But ill see what I can come up with for the hack
Old 05-06-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread (thehondaguru)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thehondaguru &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Blah Blah Blah you have NO clue what you are talking about. Vtec is engaged with many different inputs from the ecu and respective sensors!

The VSS just so happends to be one! GOD do you NOT GET IT! I can say if for you as many times as needed if you like!

ONE OF THE SENSORS THAT CONTROLS VTEC ENGAGMENT IS THE VSS!

Is that enough times for you to get it through your thick scull God I really hate it when I am right!

The whole reasoning behind the vss and vtec is so that you cant engage it when you and your little riceboys are at a stop light revving the **** out of your motor....hmm get it.... it saves your motor from people like you!

Have a nice day going through your helms trying to prove me wrong! BIOTCH</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thehondaguru &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

God I love being right </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah you should shut the expletive up you're retarded
Old 05-14-2007, 11:44 PM

Default My vtec doesn't work at all!!!

Please help me!!! I have 98 prelude (base) automatic transmission, i blow the engine while racing...I buy a crashed prelude 99 (base model) with 5 spd (manual transmission) from car action for parts, I took off the engine with the tranny from this prelude and put in my 98 prelude...it was automatic , now it's 5 spd...i did a lot of work...install clutch pedal, clutch lines for slave cylinder, I change all the wire hairness underneath the dash panel...ecu...I took off complete everything and install it in my car...now it's all stock.. car running nice, but vtec doesn't work at all, on any speed , on any gear... What's can be? I had two codes... one is for oxygen sensor(bank 1)... second: map air/fuel mixture sensor... I replace this sensor from my old engine...but no difference...i have headers...racing spark plugs wires, bosh fusion spark plugs, intake, straigth pipe( no catalyc ), full exaust...maybe that's one of the problem? rpm rev limiter is 7000 ...could u tell me more about CELs AND LIMP MODE where it's located and why do i have to do with it step by step...help me please!!!! i miss vtec ....
Old 05-15-2007, 10:51 PM

Default Re: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread (prelittlelude)

CELs and LIMP MODE please explain me someone what's that? i have no freaking idea what's the hack is that? where it's located and what do i have to do with it...my vtec is not working please, help me!!!!!
Old 06-24-2007, 01:57 PM
d3

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 0TT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive got a very good question thsat im sure you can answer (prelittlelude)

I have a JDM siVTEC 4ws Prelude.

In japan its speedo was in KPH, when imported 4x years ago; it had somthing put onto the VSS speed sensor (maybe a resister string??, anyway...) this was to 'trick' the speedo into reading MPH.

As a result of this the vehicle nolonger has a speed-restrictor at 120mph but It WONT engage VTEC in 1st-gear since it doesnt think im going fast enough to justify engageing it, i.e. one of the engagement condistions.
I uses to be a member of a forum in which somone had done a diagram of how to wire a 'push to make' switch so that you can manually engage VTEC in 1st gear.

What I want to know is HOW DO I WIRE A SWITCH UP SO I CAN engage VTEC in 1st geat?

Will</TD></TR></TABLE>
This "something" is UK kmh to mph converter. You can find it in the wires near VSS connector. Just take it off and "VTEC in 1st gear" problem will be gone but your speedo will be in kmh!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (d3)

guys sorry to bring this thread back up but I SURELY REALLY do need help. I've posted a thread also about my problem, please check it out, i've tried many of the things you guys listed in this thread but still nothing. please check out the link and help me out with what you guys have. thank you

Steve

https://honda-tech.com/zero...50657
Old 08-08-2007, 07:08 PM

people I did a swap in my 98 automatic prelude from 99 5 spd prelude....now i have 98 prelude with 5 spd transmission...but my vtec doesn't work...I try to figure out the problem, everything seems ok'ay vtec solenoid, not showing any check engine light...i don't know what' s going on...please help me!

Quick Reply: The Official "Why VTEC doesn't Engage" Thread