Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Normal Oil Pressure in the Block, 2PSI Oil Pressure in the Head

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Normal Oil Pressure in the Block, 2PSI Oil Pressure in the Head

I was testing my new motor the other day, when I noticed that the Vtec wouldn't come on.

I tested the Solenoid, it check out fine. I also check the Vtec Oilpressure switch and it was clean.

So I decided to rev the engine and click the VTEC solenoid manually. Well I heard the solenoid clicking and it trying to work, but It just wasnt working correctly.
My oil pressure in the block was 80 PSI at warm up, and it would hit almost 100 psi at WOT. Which I thought was a bit to high. I thought it was my cheapo Sunpro oil gauge so I got the AEM digital gauge and plugged it into the head.

The results came back a 2 PSI in the head. I immediatly turn the motor off, and thought **** this sucks.

So I pulled the oil pan off looking for any sign of blockage in the Oil screen, and there is nothing. I looked around the bottom of the block, for any broken shavings that would result of a direct result of oil pump failure.

I did not notice anything. Same thing when I removed the valve cover to inspect the head. Clean.

Since the screen in the oil pump is clean, Im guessing there is a clog somewhere, or the oil pump is bad.

But before I do that, I would like to verifiy that there is no clog. How can I do that.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Normal Oil Pressure in the Block, 2PSI Oil Pressure in the Head

As Im looking at the oil flow chart in the Helms, if the Oil pump was actually bad there would be no oil pressure at all, correct.

The oil flow goes from the oil pan, to the Oil filter to the oil cooler and than it splits in 2 directions. 1 is to the Block, and the other is the head.

What can I use to snake through the oil orifices.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oil filter is dented, but can that cause issues?
Old 07-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you check the pressure at athe sealing bolt near the water outlet? There is only oil pressure at that port when the VTEC solenoid is activated. Apply 12v to the green/white wire.(it wont hurt anything) You should have oil pressure at idle.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah well I hope I just did a noob move here and did that. But I was going through the helms and I was pretty sure it said to take the pressure there.

Now I have to wait until tomorrow for a new oil pan gasket to come in.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have an oil control orifice installed in the block?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What ever is in the stock block.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Acidcrakker
Yeah well I hope I just did a noob move here and did that. But I was going through the helms and I was pretty sure it said to take the pressure there.

Now I have to wait until tomorrow for a new oil pan gasket to come in.
I double checked the Honda manual this morning. There should only be oil pressure at the VTEC test port during VTEC operation. On this engine, oil pressure comes the main galley up through the center rocker girdle. There is an o-ring between the block and girdle. but I dont see how you could lose 70 psi of oil through an o ring groove. But never say never!
Old 07-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is quiet posiblly the stupidest thing I have done in a while.

I managed to put everything back, and I turned the car back on and manually connected the Vtec solenoid and poof, there it is oil pressure.

Man I feel like a retard. I wonder if autozone has any job openings.

LolOLoLolo

(PS I was reading the Helms for the H23)
Old 07-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is quiet posiblly the stupidest thing I have done in a while.

I managed to put everything back, and I turned the car back on and manually connected the Vtec solenoid and poof, there it is oil pressure.

Man I feel like a retard. I wonder if autozone has any job openings.

LolOLoLolo

(PS I was reading the Helms for the H23)
Naw man! At least your'e getting your hands dirty! Thats says alot. Look for openings as a Honda technician. Now you still have to figure out whats wrong with your VTEC. Assuming its wired correctly, Look for a bad VTEC oil pressure switch. Its a common failure.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its probably fine. I jump the gun to much and assume the worst sometimes. I did that before when my swap wouldnt start. I took apart the whole wiring of the car, and rewired the whole car up, just to find out that the dizzy was bad form the start, ahhaaha. Talk about talking the Hard road.

I also have a CEL code that might be preventing it from working. Thats why Im looking to get some sort of Vtec controller or tuning system.

Change an oil pan gasket, get a job at a honda dealership. Phft, Hahaha. Im self employeed at the moment, and wouldnt have my life any other way.

Although I might go after that Honda Certified technician exam one day, but you really have to know ALL honda engines and cars for that. That would be cool to rub in peoples faces.

Thxs

Last edited by Acidcrakker; 07-25-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its probably fine. I jump the gun to much and assume the worst sometimes. I did that before when my swap wouldnt start. I took apart the whole wiring of the car, and rewired the whole car up, just to find out that the dizzy was bad form the start, ahhaaha. Talk about talking the Hard road.

I also have a CEL code that might be preventing it from working. Thats why Im looking to get some sort of Vtec controller or tuning system.

Change an oil pan gasket, get a job at a honda dealership. Phft, Hahaha. Im self employeed at the moment, and wouldnt have my life any other way.

Although I might go after that Honda Certified technician exam one day, but you really have to know ALL honda engines and cars for that. That would be cool to rub in peoples faces.

Thxs
Self employed? sweet! NO BOSS. I have a separate shop after my real job. I stay so busy wiring engine swaps and installing "go fast parts". Alot of hackjobs out there! Yes. a CEL can delete VTEC enable from the ECU. Whats the code?

Last edited by 92civlude; 07-25-2009 at 09:16 PM.