Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

No vtec AFTER 1st gear, NO CEL, checked: wiring,grounds,oil,

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No vtec AFTER 1st gear, NO CEL, checked: wiring,grounds,oil,

vtec engages in first gear, once i hit 2nd it sputters and rev limit at 6500RPM..... NO CEL checked the oil, wiring, grounds, etc.... even took off the valve cover due to the fact the motor had been sitting for like 2-3 yrs thought it may have had some sludge in the head but nothing clean... what the hell is wrong? just got this motor in and have had nothign but trouble.... it has thrown a few codes before such as "6= water temp sensor", well we replaced but then when the sensor was plugged in the fan stayed on so this guy wired up a new one and now i have a new sensor? then the "17=VSS speed sensor" tranny speed sensor came unplugged. got that plugged in and then "22=vtec preasure valve" came on..... but i reset it and none of the codes have came back...... even though no CEL came on i still jumped it to see if it would show anything...and when it's jump all the CEL does is stay on, never flashes ALSO there is oil in the intake and TB..... Vaccum lines mixed up.?i need as much help as i can, get noob to swaps plus the previous owner bothced the wiring. i have searched and have seen a few things but nothing to realy answer all my ?'s
Old 02-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: No vtec AFTER 1st gear, NO CEL, checked: wiring,grounds,oil, (92JDMH22Prelude)

I tried to help, really, I did.. Make your thread more legable and more people will help, I can only halfway understand it..
Old 02-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No vtec AFTER 1st gear, NO CEL, checked: wiring,grounds,oil, (Honda318dx)

check the vtec solenoid screen. Change the oil if its been sitting for like 3 yrs.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:16 AM

Default Re: No vtec AFTER 1st gear, NO CEL, checked: wiring,grounds,oil, (98TypeSH)

sorry i i didn't make it clear enough i just didn't want to make the post a mile long....anways i obviously changed the oil... but last night me and one of my friends messed with the wires again and also foud out that it still had the same oil filter on it from it's last oil change and god only knows when that was, second they also didn't fill my tranny all the way up. it almost took a whole other quart of syncromesh, what made me chekc the tranny fluid is b/c out of know where when i press in the clutch it makes a loud noise but it's only pass 5k. and it has my ACT clutch from my other motor which looks like it has about another year of life left. now all i have left is my tranny problem....it doesn't want to go into gear, and my last tranny had the same symptoms this trany does
Old 02-09-2006, 01:01 PM

Default Re: No vtec AFTER 1st gear, NO CEL, checked: wiring,grounds,oil, (98TypeSH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98TypeSH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check the vtec solenoid screen. Change the oil if its been sitting for like 3 yrs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes sounds like it might be an oil pressure problem
Old 02-09-2006, 01:56 PM

Default Re: No vtec AFTER 1st gear, NO CEL, checked: wiring,grounds,oil, (92JDMH22Prelude)

Try to run your car for a few (really very few 1 or 2) miles with air intake removed, it means with throttle body only. Watch (and hear) if vtec engages on 2nd, 3rd etc...

Really, I am not joking... It was exactly the case of me and then some time later of my buddy... the air filter becomes suddenly dirty and then vtec becomes unfeelable if you are over 1st speed. It gives also as a result the rev limit to 6500 rpm.

We both, so me and my buddy, have repaired our non-engaging vtecs by changing the air filters