Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

New Frankenstein Engine = G23 (F23/H23 write up, Long, 56K beware)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (prelittlelude)

What a Blast! Got another 70 track miles under the fat Prelude's belt this last Sunday.

No major issues. no off-track excursions, brakes held up pretty well, there's slight rubbing of the tires in the wheel wells when running 225/50/16 Azenis 615s. Rolling the fenders a little and hammering in the high spots in the wells solves 95% of the problems. I had fun chasing down STIs all day Sunday.

I spooked my brother with all the sliding around when he rode along. lol The car he was driving is pretty nervous on the current crappy tires and unforgiving and the track is also not very forgiving. Lots of concrete with a high price if you mess up on the North end of the track.

But anyway here's the line up:

^^ This is faster than these VV

But to be fair I was not faster than these guys. They are fearless and confident in their setups while ripping thorugh the concrete section. :

(photos pirated courtesy of Josh and Jack)

What's better than anything though was that I got to borrow a 3-axis GPS/accelerometer for some datalogging. When he sends me the data I will be able to see how it all went and I'll post some shots.

Next one's in June, aka pretty soon.

Pirate
Old 05-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mgags7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mgags7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Soooo you got a euro-r intake mani....looks nice...

I'm slightly confused though....do you not track the g23? If so, why did you buy an h22 IM?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well after you asked that Matt, Rosko PMed me a neat picture of an H22 IM gasket placed over the intake side of an H23 head...

So here's an interesting picture. One that you will not likely see anywhere but here:

That's right. It's a Euro-R H22 IM on the G23! It's just a prototype and I have to make another one that is better, prettier and lighter. There's going to have to be a provision for the H23 thermostat housing later and some portmatching between the H23 and H22 ports but this is proof that this stuff works. WOOT hella nonVTEC. I feel sooo sorry for this poor engine. What an identity complex. hahaha.

Thanks for the idea/motivation Rosko We'll see what she does on the Dyno sometime soon.

Pirate

fixed pics

Modified by PirateMcFred at 6:27 AM 10/1/2008
Old 05-21-2007, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hellz yea pirate
Old 05-21-2007, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few questions regarding doing a h23 head swap on my f22b1.

These may have been coverd in this thread but i read untill page 6 then realized this is 22 pages long..

I know i need the head,in./ex. manifolds, timing belt/covers, h23 HG, f22a1 coolant pipe, make my distributer work or w/e, and to honda bond the coolant/oil passages that dont match up with the HG.

But im not shure about what timing items id need, im mainly concerned about if id need the h23 crank pulley tensioners and water pump. And how would i jerry rig the h23 distributer to be an external coil?

Ive been researching this for a few weeks now and am buying a h23 head tommrow. I just wanna get some insight on this from some one who knows who there talking about.

Thanks!

-Eric
Old 05-22-2007, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Alpinestar03)

H23 head/IM/EM
F23 head gasket with a blob of hondabond on exahust, timing side of head
OBD2 H22 distributor and coil or JDM internal coil Distributor
H23 lower timing gear/H23 timing belt or
GSR lower timing gear/GSR timing belt

Stock F22 water pump, no mods
Stock manual timing tensioner

Keep in mind that the balance shaft belt might have clearance issues when using the GSR timing gear/belt. I only used the H23 stuff and there's a little slack but nothing bad's happened in the last 25000 miles.

Don't forget the oil control orifice in the deck

Pirate
Old 05-22-2007, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (PirateMcFred)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PirateMcFred &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's right. It's a Euro-R H22 IM on the G23! </TD></TR></TABLE>

that is very cool! i wonder how it will perform on the dyno. DO you have any up close pics of the adapter plate? How much machine time was involved? As always thought way to keep it innovative and unique!

I was thinking the same thing, the only thing that engine has is all honda parts, and they are from like 9 different cars hahah!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tom, No I don't have any close-up photos of the plate ATM but believe me it's freaking ugly It was the only piece of half inch stock that I could find w/o cutting up a 4'x 8' sheet. I found it in the scrap barrel after another employee had chopped on it a bit. So it's only good for a mock up. I will have to change a couple settings in the program and then allocate a nice piece of 17"x4"x.5" stock and use that for the finished product. That and the outside contour to drop most of the weight and make it look better will take a little time to program.

The flange the way it is only takes like 10 minutes to make. All the reverse engineering, and manipulation of the port pattern, and 2 separate bolt patterns to get it to line up burned up 8 hours of my Sunday.

Pirate
Old 05-22-2007, 08:12 AM

thanks pirate!
Old 05-22-2007, 08:51 AM

O, one real quick question. I need to ADD a oil control oriface, correct?

Thanks in advance!

-Eric
Old 05-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Alpinestar03)

If you don't have one in the deck already then you need to add one (not all F22s run the orifice)

Pirate
Old 05-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So here's the 62mm overbored H23 throttle body that will be used with the Euro-R IM. We made and installed 6061 aluminum plugs for the FITV where there'd normally be a Vacuum leak. I have been gunning for a 64mm plate but first things first.

I won't get into it but i might try to overbore/modify an 55mm Accord F22 TB out to 70mm. But that's in the future. This is now..

We could have welded the ports closed but for convenince we bead blasted the mating parts, cleaned them up then used a 2-part aircraft-grade epoxy to glue the plugs in. If it's good enough for Bell Helicopter flight hardware then it's good enough for an automotive throttle. Then we lapped the TB gasket mating surface flat and overbored it on the lathe.

The fuel rail's out to anodize so there's more to come when it comes back.

Pirate

fixed pic

Modified by PirateMcFred at 6:42 AM 10/1/2008
Old 05-24-2007, 09:03 AM

Guys the G23 has finally been done on a 6thgen. I believe Kamikaze Royale is his name on here but its finally done on a 6thgen.

http://i158.photobucket.com/al...1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/alb...a.jpg
Old 05-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, good stuff as always Pirate!

I hope to get mine to a track sometime soon....
Old 05-24-2007, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MDKid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MDKid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Guys the G23 has finally been done on a 6thgen. I believe Kamikaze Royale is his name on here but its finally done on a 6thgen.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah he's had some trouble with it along the way. The OBD2 stuff is pretty annnoying.

Kleankord got pretty far with his 6th gen before he had to sell the project. Financial reasons IIRC.

Clean looking Accord though. I hope it lasts him.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, good stuff as always Pirate!

I hope to get mine to a track sometime soon....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you and with all your weight reduction I bet your car would do rather well on a technical track (if by "track" you did not mean strip). High speed tracks are kind of painful to get around fast from too much drag.

I don't know what wheels you are running but on a 40 offset I can fit 99% of my 225/50/16 Azenis under the fenders. I got my GPS/Accelerometer data this morning and it says that I consistently pull 1.22 Gs in the corners. Unfortunately my gearing is kinda messed up and the air was hot so I wasn't too quick on the straights. I will post some pics of the plot later.

Pirate
Old 05-24-2007, 10:15 AM

Yeah Roy is the one who bought Kleankord's project.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy crap. I didn't know. Well that's cool that it eventually did happen though a bit indirectly!

Pirate
Old 05-24-2007, 11:15 AM

Actually he ended up using the H23 belt and components instead of the GSR
Old 05-24-2007, 11:53 AM

yeah, i bought it from kleankord... only to find sh*tload of missing/ incorrect parts... the swap costed me more than i expected, but tht's over with now... i'm OBD1 now btw... thanx for the help pirate
Old 05-24-2007, 12:13 PM

That is you Roy, damn the Kid knows o one else on other forums except 6thgen, EH, and AD
Old 05-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Kamikaze Royale)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamikaze Royale &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, i bought it from kleankord... only to find sh*tload of missing/ incorrect parts... the swap costed me more than i expected, but tht's over with now... i'm OBD1 now btw... thanx for the help pirate </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah thats a clean looking accord. I knew someone would finally do this in a car where the f23 was ment to be.

glad to see that the pseudo G series has made its way around. If it wasn't for pirate and samIam i don't think the H head on the f23 would have ever gotten much attention.. I know my f22 with h22 head is still going strong, so it would have been a while before i ever got to the f23..

good work, nice project.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, I was unemployed when I started reading you F22/H22 thread, Tom. I needed a cheap, fun project to work on while looking for a job. And a torquey little nonVTEC hybrid fit the bill. I had no idea that it would work this well. So now I am running with it. Testing a few different things and updating my Honda-Tech blog on occasion.

I am currently looking into a set of 440 injectors for the G23 and getting price quotes for 55 gallon drums of denatured Ethanol. If I can get it for less than $2.5 a gallon I am going to see what happens to the Prleude and G23 on E95 fuel after tuning. If nothing bad happens and the price of chitty 91 octane stays well above $3 a gallon, I might rebuild the block with Type-S pistons to get 13.25:1 compression and use the Prelude for a short distance daily driver/track ***** duty.

We'll still have to see what the Euro-R does first. Maybe the fuel rail will come back from anodize today. Gotta keep busy.

Pirate
Old 05-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey thanks for that link, for some reason I can't PM you back haha.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rosko)

no problem.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:44 AM

thanx man
Old 05-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats Roy! Pirate is a great guy and has helped me a lot also with all the annoying host of questions I had

I'm doing this swap next. I have most of the parts, just need:

- H23 timing belt
- OBD1 harness
- H23 EGR valve (??)
- H23 PS Pump and Brackets
- F23 Head Gasket, H23 IM Gasket

Quick Reply: New Frankenstein Engine = G23 (F23/H23 write up, Long, 56K beware)