Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

New Frankenstein Engine = G23 (F23/H23 write up, Long, 56K beware)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (PirateMcFred)

just a little tip 18mm sparkplug non fouler make quick and easy o2 sensor bungs and they cost like a buck all you have to do is cut off the end
Old 12-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (hondaaccord2.2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaaccord2.2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just a little tip 18mm sparkplug non fouler make quick and easy o2 sensor bungs and they cost like a buck all you have to do is cut off the end</TD></TR></TABLE>

Too late. I already made the O2 bung and it is stainless so I never have to worry about it rusting. I got the collector mod half welded up today. It is not actually welded to the DC collector yet:

Pirate
Old 12-05-2005, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PirateMcFred &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Too late. I already made the O2 bung and it is stainless so I never have to worry about it rusting. I got the collector mod half welded up today. It is not actually welded to the DC collector yet

Pirate</TD></TR></TABLE>

pirate have fun with the donut gasket....i hate those things....leaky sons of *****s....

cant wait until its back together....better than ever....
Old 12-05-2005, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mgags7)

I have had pretty good luck with donut gaskets. They are also lighter, simpler and less expensive than a flex pipe.

On a different note. I think I am getting jerked around on the head. The guy says that he's sent it, but he keeps coming up with excuses for not giving me the tracking number. He did give me a number, but does not work on the USPS web site like it should. The guy's in Houston. God I hate Texass, especially Houston. I am hoping that this gets fixed soon.

Pirate
Old 12-08-2005, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PirateMcFred &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have had pretty good luck with donut gaskets. They are also lighter, simpler and less expensive than a flex pipe.

On a different note. I think I am getting jerked around on the head. The guy says that he's sent it, but he keeps coming up with excuses for not giving me the tracking number. He did give me a number, but does not work on the USPS web site like it should. The guy's in Houston. God I hate Texass, especially Houston. I am hoping that this gets fixed soon.

Pirate</TD></TR></TABLE>

how much coin did you dish out to this guy if you don't mind me asking?
those welds look pretty yummy, did you do that? I too have a dc crap header, and want to do the collector mod. looks good,

matt i have also never had problems with doughnut gaskets as long as the hardware reataining it isn't all rusted to crap.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (prelittlelude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">matt i have also never had problems with doughnut gaskets as long as the hardware reataining it isn't all rusted to crap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Doughnuts are goooooood.. Flexpipe = teh suck
Old 12-08-2005, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I shelled out $350 shipped with insurance for what looked like a clean head in good condition (supposedly rebuilt with OEM parts) with everything except the distributor and the manifolds. It was milled a little as well judging by the pictures.

I have been in contact with him some more and he sent me a tracking number that worked, but USPS tracking service is a steaming pile of poo. It could be anywhere. Really keeping my fingers crossed for today or tomorrow afternoon at the latest. I will be pulling an all-nighter if that is the case.

Those welds are done by a professional welder I know. it took him like 10 minutes. I just pay him in beer. It works out ok since he shares with everyone so he welds and then we get drunk.

The timing belt and head gasket came in today. I installed 12 helicoils in my JG cam gears last night since half of them were stripping the threads despite recommended torque. I could have installed fewer but I figured that it is apart now so why not all of them? I do not want to tear it all apart to fix it again. I am not real happy with JG. I am tempted to make my own gears. At least if it grenades the motor I have no one to blame but myself.

Tonight I am going to pull the transmission and try to install the new clutch and the M2F4 with Quaife. It is in overall better condition than the M2S4 and it is another case of "while it's apart, I might as well..." It will be a really busy thursday/friday/saturday getting it all assembled for tuning...

Pirate
Old 12-08-2005, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what cams, springs, gears and reatainers, are u using? please and thank you.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Re: (streetspeed607)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by streetspeed607 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what cams, springs, gears and retainers, are u using? please and thank you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I could easily look it up in Pirates other threads but I must be lazy like you... Off the top of my head I believe he is running Crower Stage 3 Cams, RM Springs/Retainers, and JG Cam gears(I actually took that one from the 2 posts above)...
Old 12-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sam1am26)

Sam's right. But I do not recommend JG Engine Dynamics cam gears.

Pirate
Old 12-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn long day. 12 hour work day, then come home and remove a transmission, replace the clutch and put in another transmission in 5 hours with a break for dinner.

M2F4 with Quaife is now in. Still waiting on the head.

Pirate
Old 12-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PirateMcFred &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn long day. 12 hour work day, then come home and remove a transmission, replace the clutch and put in another transmission in 5 hours with a break for dinner.

M2F4 with Quaife is now in. Still waiting on the head.

Pirate</TD></TR></TABLE>

good work man, keep us uptodate on that head.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Frankenstein Engine = G23 (PirateMcFred)

wow that is one insane motor
Old 12-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Frankenstein Engine = G23 (kantfadedisazn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bah VTEC is for chumps</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know , i know, you guys think its cool to be be faster than us vtec guys without vtec.. doesn't bother me none, i just comprehend that you spent more money than i did to get where im at.

p.s. love the motor.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Frankenstein Engine = G23 (delLudeVTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by delLudeVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just comprehend that you spent more money than i did to get where im at. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So where are you at? What did you spend?

Give me your dyno run file and I will throw up the comparison between my engine and yours. Power under the curve. I have spent less than what your typical H22 longblock costs for more torque and as much if not more power.

I already did the H22 swap and for fun I tried the hybrid. Here's the comparison between the two. Tell me again why the H22 is better than my nonVTEC engine?

Man am I happy I had my mAd Vtak engine. It was slower and got the same MPG. If your post is to criticize then at least read the thread through before getting your +1 post count. Tell me what have you brought to the Prelude community with your white-bread H22 swap? What did you learn? Keep your negative comments to yourself if you are not going to substantiate your rhetoric.

Pirate
Old 12-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PirateMcFred &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Man am I happy I had my mAd Vtak engine. It was slower and got the same MPG. If your post is to criticize then at least read the thread through before getting your +1 post count. Tell me what have you brought to the Prelude community with your white-bread H22 swap? What did you learn? Keep your negative comments to yourself if you are not going to substantiate your rhetoric.

Pirate</TD></TR></TABLE>

keep up the good work man, esp in the owning dept.

Modified by Ludebehavior85 at 10:37 AM 12/11/2005
Old 12-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Frankenstein Engine = G23 (Ludebehavior85)

Yeah, no kidding... don't be messin with the Pirate, he'll make you walk the plank.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Frankenstein Engine = G23 (The_Head)

It's alive. After 14 hours today it sprang to life at midnight and everything appears to be okay for now. Time will tell what I left out where.

<u>New All Motor F-series Specs:</u>
2,307ccs
97mm stroke
87mm bore
11.72 compression
F22B DOHC head (combustion chambers recessed .030")
Crower Cams
F23 Block
H22 pistons
M2F4 transmission
Quaife limited slip.
ACT clutch kit

Pirate
Old 12-12-2005, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, if you need donations for dyno time again, I'm here to help.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Frankenstein Engine = G23 (The_Head)

I appreciate the offer but I was broke then. After working a job and a half for the last 9 months I think I can cover the expense now. Dyno tuning and the rest of the BS that I was going to do before the bent valves should happen soon. I will update everything then.

Pirate
Old 12-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HAHAHA. Apparently that dude thinks you don't have a VTEC engine too. Us VTEC guys", "You non-VTEC guys". lol

I love how people think the H22 engine is the best choice when it comes to engine, turbo, NA, anything.

Anyway, is the F22B head the same as the H23 head? I want the G23 name to live on!!!
Old 12-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Frankenstein Engine = G23 (AndyD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AndyD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Anyway, is the F22B head the same as the H23 head? I want the G23 name to live on!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah im sure he will do a nice long comparison to the f22b and the h23 head. And i know the g23 will live on.. hell my motor is still going, with slightly less displacement. I think with his new setup its at like 230X while im still at 2156 ..
Old 12-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so less compression now? means we need to see new numbers
Old 12-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kleankord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kleankord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so less compression now? means we need to see new numbers </TD></TR></TABLE>

hes working on it. this guy is an animal.. he did ppractically a 17 hour shift getting everything torn down cleaned reassembled and back to runing and driving condition.. soon he will finalize his tune.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your project is priceless for a guy like me tryin to make cheap hp,thanx.

Modified by 89a6T at 11:53 AM 12/19/2005

Quick Reply: New Frankenstein Engine = G23 (F23/H23 write up, Long, 56K beware)