Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

New engine? New car? What to do now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New engine? New car? What to do now? (Chris F)

either..
2. Buy an engine, learn how to and completely rebuild it with all the goodies, and do an engine swap with the existing engine
or
4. Get a shop to rebuild the engine now and be golden for another 100k miles or so

dont get rid of it..ud miss it..trust me
Old 09-02-2006, 02:46 PM

Default Re: New engine? New car? What to do now? (xplyboigurlx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xplyboigurlx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">either..

4. Get a shop to rebuild the engine now and be golden for another 100k miles or so

</TD></TR></TABLE>

unless one has upgraded a lot, a honda engine should easily last 200k miles....trannys are a different story of course...
Old 09-02-2006, 08:30 PM

Default Re: New engine? New car? What to do now? (twistedbydezign)

MadCityLude: you had asked where im located...im in NJ

i put in a few oil filter and some thicker oil...another mechanic i know recommended valvoline maxlife 10w30, so ill see how that works out for the next oil change....since this is real oil and not synthetic, if my rings or valve seals are shot, then i should definitely see blue smoke. he said that synthetic "does not burn" and that since it's thin oil it would seep through the leaks easier than real oil...so the valvoline shouldnt disappear as quickly as the mobil1.

also, what's the difference b/w a leakdown test and a compression test? he said that some people call a compression test a leakdown test. is there a difference?

Old 09-02-2006, 08:54 PM
MadCityLude

Default Re: New engine? New car? What to do now? (97AClude)

Leakdown - tests the coolant system for leaks - IE headgasket

Compression - tests the oil system - IE valves rings etc.

There has to be someone in NJ or close that could help this cat out! He needs some assistance for sure.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:44 AM

Default Re: New engine? New car? What to do now? (MadCityLude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MadCityLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Leakdown - tests the coolant system for leaks - IE headgasket

Compression - tests the oil system - IE valves rings etc.

There has to be someone in NJ or close that could help this cat out! He needs some assistance for sure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

compression tests only the compression stroke, leak down tests how well the cylinder holds compression

a compression test will test how much pressure builds up during the compression stroke when the engine turns 5-6 times, there arent really defined target numbers as each engine is different based on imperfections and carbon build-up, but you want the results for each cylinder to be w/in 10% of each other, on an h22 average results are 200-230ish, obviously if all cylinders are 100 theres a problem even though all are w/in 10%

a leakdown test does not have the engine turn, piston sits at TDC, compressor puts 100psi of air into the combustion chamber, and then measure how much pressure is lost to leaks, so if 100psi is being put in and 10% of the air is leaking out, then you have 90psi left, generally 90+ is good in a leakdown test, it will also tell you where the leak is, if you hear air coming out of the exhaust manifold exhaust valve seals are leaking, intake manifold intake seals, oil pan area piston rings are leaking, open the coolant cap, you see bubbles then headgasket is leaking...

leakdown will tell you a lot more than a compression test, if your mechanic is telling you a compression test is the same as a leakdown tell him he's a moron
Old 09-03-2006, 10:43 PM
MadCityLude

Default Re: New engine? New car? What to do now? (twistedbydezign)

^^^^ Um yea what he said.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:44 AM

Default Re: New engine? New car? What to do now? (MadCityLude)

thanks for the help guys. im going to keep an eye on how the valvoline holds up, then do a compression and/or leakdown test. as for the mechanic who said they might be the same, it was probably my inability to explain both clearly to him...he has been one of the few mechanics that i've come across that seem to be honest and explain things well. but twistedbydezign, thanks for the explanations of both.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:17 AM

Default Re: New engine? New car? What to do now? (97AClude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97AClude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">paulab: let me know how that 10w-40 works. i was using mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 but will switch to dino oil until i figure out what to do. i might as well take out my wallet and set it on fire if i keep using mobil1...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I put in the pennzoil highmileage, 10W-40, and it definitely made a difference. I was losing about a quart a tank and now it's down to about 1/2 quart every two tanks. Have you had similar luck?