Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

A new clutch... With a few problems...

Old 10-11-2018, 05:46 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 A new clutch... With a few problems...

Hey everybody, first post so I'm sorry if I mess a few things up.

So I have owned my 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH for a little over a year, at 80,000 miles (about a week ago) I went to my local auto shop to get a new clutch because I felt it slipping. They put in a new stage 2 clutch (I forget the name but can go find it if it is important) and now it feels like a new car. The one issue is that it's making a brand new sound. Yay! Most of the time (but not quite all the time) there is a sound that I first thought was a bad belt, because it sounds like a whining that might be made by a belt issue, as soon as the clutch is depressed the sound completely stops, only to come back whenever I let off the clutch. The sound occurs at idle in neutral as well as in gear driving. Sooooo my questions
1. I'd love to know what this sound is
2. Should I take it back the the mechanic and say "Hey you messed this up when you put in the clutch, can you fix it pretty please?" or is it something I can do myself (never worked on a clutch before)

Thanks for the help!
(Sorry if I pick the wrong icon, please correct me)
Old 10-11-2018, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A new clutch... With a few problems...

Of course take it back there
Old 10-11-2018, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DashGFX View Post
Hey everybody, first post so I'm sorry if I mess a few things up.

So I have owned my 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH for a little over a year, at 80,000 miles (about a week ago) I went to my local auto shop to get a new clutch because I felt it slipping. They put in a new stage 2 clutch (I forget the name but can go find it if it is important) and now it feels like a new car. The one issue is that it's making a brand new sound. Yay! Most of the time (but not quite all the time) there is a sound that I first thought was a bad belt, because it sounds like a whining that might be made by a belt issue, as soon as the clutch is depressed the sound completely stops, only to come back whenever I let off the clutch. The sound occurs at idle in neutral as well as in gear driving. Sooooo my questions
1. I'd love to know what this sound is
2. Should I take it back the the mechanic and say "Hey you messed this up when you put in the clutch, can you fix it pretty please?" or is it something I can do myself (never worked on a clutch before)

Thanks for the help!
(Sorry if I pick the wrong icon, please correct me)
you should definitely take it back to the mechanic and ask him what the sound could be without accusing him of messing something up. See what he says, then get back to us.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:36 AM
Trial User

Okay, thank you, I just wondered if it was something super simple I could just tighten up and solve it myself
Old 10-11-2018, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would think this could be related to the input shaft, but Iím not sure. I have had several transmissions that made a chattering sound that went away when the clutch was depressed, but not a whining sound.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It could just be that you need to fully break in the clutch

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: