Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

need distributor advice: jdm h22

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need distributor advice: jdm h22

car is misfiring to put it simply. has new plugs wires cap n rotor. i think its the distributor and internal coil. which distributor would be available here in the us? can i use an obd1 h22 distributor and external coil? and this is in a 94 accord ex(obd1) with jdm p13 ecu. thanks
Old 03-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need distributor advice: jdm h22

i pulled each spark plug wire while car was running and each time i did it the car seemed to run a bit more rough which to me is definitely indicative of ignition system issues. just trying to get some opinions before i try to get a new distributor
Old 03-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like the spark is weak from what your saying. have you replaced the check the cap and rotor condition. and i blieve the obd1 h22 dizzy and coil should work. check the ignition timing as well.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ignition timing is good. i cleaned the iacv fitv tb etc. my buddy recently replaced the internal coil but i guess it may just be the distributor itself. i had it running for 10 minutes earlier today while i was working on it and i put my hand on the distributor and it was HOT AS HELL... compared to my other hondas ive had(17 of them) it seems to me there is something amiss with the dist...
Old 03-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i have no codes so i will have a new distributor on wednesday. fingers crossed.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

l got a jdm dizzy it was obd2 but worked fine for me it was td-89u obd1 is td-60u l think might wanna try that 1st they have a richporter one on ebay and is very good richporter is well known
Old 03-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the reply. hopefully my napa one thru work will work out when i get it on wednesday. fingers still crossed
Old 03-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i got a used h23 distributor. but since it is external coil i need to find it. the place igot the distributor from did not have the coil. so is there another honda i can source it from?? please!!!! i need to know
Old 03-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not sure on that one. l have a internal coil so l never had to deal with that problem. from what l heard civic si 99-00 caps work so l would imagine coil would also.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hb_guy
i pulled each spark plug wire while car was running and each time i did it the car seemed to run a bit more rough which to me is definitely indicative of ignition system issues. just trying to get some opinions before i try to get a new distributor
should it run the same? i haven't done this in awhile, but i don't see an engine, ANY engine, running as smoothly with one cylinder getting air, fuel, and no fire when the others are getting all 3.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i got a used h23 distributor. but since it is external coil i need to find it. the place igot the distributor from did not have the coil. so is there another honda i can source it from?? please!!!! i need to know
Im pretty sure all external coils are the same. The bracket to mount onto the head is different. Ive swapped the three random ones in my garage around two or three times with no issues. I know they are way more reliable than internal ones.

And I think all pulling wires is good for is checking for a dead hole.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the pulling of the spark plug wire(one at a time) while the engine is running is a simple diagnostic procedure that tests the strength of ones ignition sytem. so if u pull one wire that and our engine keeps running smoothly that indicates your ignition system is working well. mine is not!!! tomorrow i get the coil wire from honda and an external coil from another yard... fingers still crossed and thanks everyone as always... uno
Old 03-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so if the harness on the motor i have(jdm h22 engine 92 accord ex harness) does not have a plug for the oem coil i got(h23 dist and h23 external coil) how should i wire it up? anyone?
Old 03-18-2011, 06:54 PM

internal coil jdm dizzy's have a problem with Heat: The heat from the coil over heats the ICM and causes problems in USA (it's hotter here than japan) I've personally had 2 of them go out after about 100k estimated miles.

Another thing, you COULD very well have a clogged EGR port.

good luck, Mike.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WELL i cleaned everything and my buddy put a new egr on there. right now im just trying to find the plug on the accord harness for the external coil cuz it should be there. but if not i need to wire it up. any help would be great. yea and my dizzy got crazy hot thats why i went to the usdm h23 external coil oem setup thanks mike
Old 03-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i got the dist msd cap and blaster coil wired up and in and the car fired right up BUT its still doing the same ****. o2? ecu? wiring gone bad?? im back to square one. any help would be appreciated.

it sputters and runs sporadically to about 3000 rpm and backfires and dies. it idles sometimes but it wont move-doesnt really have the power due to whatever issue is going on

edit:
and my compression is
cyl4=220, cyl3=195, cyl2=180, cyl1=160

Last edited by hb_guy; 03-22-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Those compression numbers are skewed pretty bad, sounds to me like the engine is on it's way out.

And your idea of pulling the spark plug leads is a bit off, when you pull your wires one by one, you are looking for any change, which would indicate that the cylinder was running properly until it lost spark. If you don't have a change when a wire is pulled, it means you are having a problem, i.e. no spark, in that cylinder already.

Oh, and since it sounds like an issue I had to trace, that I thought was ignition, check your timing belt and cam timing. I had a similar issue, and I had skipped 2 teeth on my timing belt with one cam. When I re-timed the car, it ran like a dream.

Last edited by snobordboy; 03-22-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Added a thought.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:57 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

car is misfiring to put it simply. has new plugs wires cap n rotor. i think its the distributor and internal coil. which distributor would be available here in the us? can i use an obd1 h22 distributor and external coil? and this is in a 94 accord ex(obd1) with jdm p13 ecu. thanks
The td-60u is an internal coil distributor, the td-61u is an external coil distributor.

the pulling of the spark plug wire(one at a time) while the engine is running is a simple diagnostic procedure that tests the strength of ones ignition sytem. so if u pull one wire that and our engine keeps running smoothly that indicates your ignition system is working well. mine is not!!! tomorrow i get the coil wire from honda and an external coil from another yard... fingers still crossed and thanks everyone as always... uno
When you pull a spark plug wire while the car is running the car will actually run worse since it's only running on three cylinders. If the car runs fine then it was already running on three cylinders before pulling the wire.

Assuming your compression check was done properly you got something wrong with the 1st and/or 2nd cylinder. Has your car overheated recently?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i bought that car and another accord from my buddy for 2500. i already sold the 91 with f22b1 swap and i/h/e/kyb agx and neuspeed springs. i wanted the 94 with h22 for the lsd tranny to put in my turbo coupe project in my sig(which i am updating with pics tomorrow). but anyway i think the engine is crapping out too. the f'd up part is i have NO CODES at all. i've had 16 hondas the past 10 years all with swaps and this one is stumping me. i bought the cars to get the tranny and flip em. i knew the 94 had issues.

the swap in the 94 was in my buddies 92 for 4 years. he crashed it and we pulled it and sold it and installed it into the 94(it was someone elses at the time) then about a year or so later my buddy bought the entire car back with his swap in it and it sat for a year. he had 5 cars house kids, the whole nine so no time to do ****. recently he needes a roof on the house and having life issues so i agreed to help him out, hence the two car deal for 2500...

so here i am!!! ima try an o2 tomorrow and my egr blockoff and go from there. if that dont work im towing it to my house from work and going thru the wiring. about 8 years ago i had an ef hatch with a b16 swap that had similar symtoms. it ended up being two wires on the strut tower harness grounding out cuz the wires had stripped from rubbing on the intake. so if the o2 and egr dont work i am going to go thru the wiring and harness and go from there.

thanks and sorry for the long typing. but sometimes its necessary/ thanks again h-t. uno
Old 03-22-2011, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you plug each spark plug wire in the correct position? Rough idling and misfire can be your MAP sensor, TDC/CKP/CYP senor and fuel injectors. Top Dead Center (TDC) Crankshaft Position sensor (CKP) Cylinder Position Sensor (CYP) Use a Digital Multimeter with the Resistance feature (the horseshoe symbol) to test these sensors to ensure you have a good distributor.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you reset the ecu and it runs better for a little while, that would imply a bad O2 sensor. You might try unplugging it. That would throw a code but then it should at least ignore the signal from it. I'm glad yawr willing to put in the time to figure it out. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i have tried 2 different distributors and the same issue. as far as the o2 i havent had time yet at work to eff with it. maybe later or friday. and yea i definitely always figure out whats wrong with my cars. i try to take pride in my rides. thanks and i will keep all updated.