Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

My ATTS took over and made my Lude go outta control! :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My ATTS took over and made my Lude go outta control! :(

Wassup, I was on a big street turning into a small residential street today going about 60+ mph. I downshifted into third and slid through the turn. The tires screeched and slid, but didn't lose that much grip so I thought I had made a clean entry. And then, at the end of the turn, the ATTS made my car oversteer. My natural reaction was to countersteer. At that point, I didn't want to hit anything and braked; the ABS turned on and my car fish tailed. I came about a foot from hitting the curb. What gives? I can't do stuff like this in my SH or is there another way to get around this?

[Modified by GQ-Lude, 2:58 PM 7/27/2002]
Old 07-26-2002, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My ATTS took over and made my Lude go outta control! :( (GQ-Lude)

Just wondering why you're taking a turn at 60mph
Old 07-26-2002, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

At that point, the ABS turned on and my car fish tailed. My friend was in his beemer behind me and he said that my rear got a foot of air also. I came about a foot from hitting the curb. What gives? I can't do stuff like this in my SH or is there another way to get around this? No negative comments about my reckless driving please.
You say that your ABS turned on ? That means that you were braking heavily during cornering ? If so , you really deserved to lose control of your car

Braking in the middle of a hard turn

I don´t believe this was caused by the ATTS , rather it was a case of driver error.
Learn to drive and be safe
Old 07-26-2002, 05:51 PM

yeah brake before entering the turn and accelerate out of it. try to keep on the gas in the turn because letting off will cause ur tail to step out. don't take a turn at 60 if u can't handle it.
Old 07-26-2002, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My ATTS took over and made my Lude go outta control! :( (PreIudeSI)

yeah brake before entering the turn and accelerate out of it. try to keep on the gas in the turn because letting off will cause ur tail to step out. don't take a turn at 60 if u can't handle it.
Words of the wise

Had a somewhat similar experience a couple of months ago. Turned off a street in a 90 deegree turn doing about 60-70 kmh (ca. 40 mph). Didn´t touch neither clutch , brake or accellerator , and the car was in neutral so I was just coasting through the corner. Right at the end of the turn the rear slid out maybe 1 meter (3-4 feet) , but straightened itself out before I was able to react. Hadn´t really expected the Prelude to oversteer like that without being provoked , anyone else experience something like this ?
Old 07-26-2002, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wassup, I was on a big street turning into a small residential street today going about 60+ mph. I downshifted into third and slid through the turn. The tires screeched and slid, but didn't lose that much grip so I thought I had made a clean entry. And then, at the end of the turn, the ATTS turned on and made my car oversteer. My natural reaction was to countersteer. At that point, the ABS turned on and my car fish tailed. My friend was in his beemer behind me and he said that my rear got a foot of air also. I came about a foot from hitting the curb. What gives? I can't do stuff like this in my SH or is there another way to get around this? No negative comments about my reckless driving please.
no negative comments about your reckless driving????????
well, first of all, what the **** were you doing taking a turn that fast?
second, what the **** were you doing taking a turn that fast if you don't know how to take it?
you brake before the turn, not in the turn. your ATTS had nothing to do with you losing control, it was just your poor turning skills. you shouldn't be doing that man, you're gonna end up wrecking your car like that. when you want to take a fast turn you brake before the turn until you're comfortable with the speed you're carrying into the turn. then you turn and accelerate out of it. do not brake while turning or try to countersteer like you did. you should have hit the gas pedal to straighten it. ATTS, ABS had nothing to with that. SKILLS. it seems like you don't even deserve ATTS or ABS, or the car you got. how can you just enter a turn so fast and not know what to do next?!?!?! and you expect no flames and negative comments....

[Modified by BB1, 3:39 AM 7/27/2002]
Old 07-26-2002, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn man, I sure hope that you don't find me out there since I'm in Fremont as well. In any case, it sounds like the WHOLE mechanics of your turn is WRONG. There is no way in bloody hell that ANY of your tires should be a FOOT off the ground. Secondly, you say ATTS kicked in during the slide which makes no sense, since you also say that ABS kicks in which counteracts ANY ideals that you were on the gas. So, I conclude that you have NO CLUE what you're doing and hope that you don't end up killing someone out there.
Old 07-26-2002, 07:31 PM

Default Re: My ATTS took over and made my Lude go outta control! :( (TimeRacer)

Ok guys first of all, I did brake going into the turn and I do know what I'm doing because I've done something like this before but in a different car. I braked cuz my car oversteered and I didn't want to hit anything cuz it was a tight street, and that was after the car started going out of control. I posted in this forum asking for some positive comments on how to prevent something like this from happening if I do turn at this speed again. No, I'm not planning on trying this on the street, but rather, on the track. I'm dissapointed with all of you drawing conclusions when you don't even have the facts straight yet. Ok, flame away. But thanks in advance to the more mature ppl who give positive input.
Old 07-26-2002, 07:35 PM

And um, to TimeRacer and BB1. Least the other ppl had more constructive to say -- even though they were criticizing my driving.
Old 07-26-2002, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take it as constructive criticism.
Old 07-26-2002, 07:38 PM

Oh yeah, as for my rear getting a foot of air, that was what my friend said. I didn't feel anything like that in the car when I was driving. For all I know, it could've just been my rear going up side to side from fishtailing. I know it's still bad, but it would make more sense.
Old 07-26-2002, 07:39 PM

Default Re: My ATTS took over and made my Lude go outta control! :( (GudeH23a)

GudeH23a: I know. I'm trying to. If what they're saying is anything near constructive, then I'm fine with it.
Old 07-26-2002, 08:11 PM

Comments about driving like that aside, whipping a 90degree turn at 60mph would be difficult in any car. And your ATTS did not 'turn on' all of a sudden since ATTS is always on, although the effects of ATTS are most prominant when your gasing through a turn, not when you have you foot on the brake.

Having said that, on quick corners I find that I have to dial out of a turn a little earlier on ATTS preludes. One reason that you may have oversteered is because you expected the car to understeer, so turned in too much.
Old 07-26-2002, 08:22 PM

Default Re: My ATTS took over and made my Lude go outta control! :( (psychodog)

Alright thanks psychodog. That was the kind of reply that I was looking for. And yeah, I've had experiences in the past with FF cars and all have understeered (a 90 corolla sr5 and an Infiniti I30...I think the I30 is FF heheh). But yeah, I guess I didn't realize that the car was going to react like that. Cuz I was gasing my way out of the turn and the car didn't react the way I expected it to at all. Anyway, thanks.
Old 07-28-2002, 01:51 AM

Look, first off if you can't understand that what I said in my first post is that your mechanics is wrong then to yourself. It's truly idiots like yourself is what get innocent people killed. IF you were to try this again, stick to the rest of the "smarter" street racers and take it to the industrial district where people don't walk on the streets at night

As per your different car, every single car is different. I'm damn suprised that you would take this upon yourself on an unfamiliar car. Secondly, braking during oversteer causes what? Do I hear even MORE oversteer? Yes, you do. If your car was truly oversteering and you did brake instead of just using steering to correct your direction you will oversteer more. This is the direct reason why all cars are designed to understeer at the limit. The reaction of braking IS GOOD for understeer and bad for oversteer. As another point, ATTS will NOT cause uncontrolable oversteer if you're smooth with the directional input. Of course this is the same with every car, if you jerk it you won't have control. Lastly, you also probably throttled way too much for the given turn and turned the wheel too far during the slip so when your tires caught you shot off in the direction your wheels were facing.

As per my post earlier, it is exactly what you asked, something to prevent you from doing this again. Don't do what you did again because #1 you endangered your lives and the community around you, and #2 your mechanics and reactions are and will continue to be WRONG if you don't open your eyes. Please take the time to learn the mechanics before you attempt this again. If anything, hit up an Auto-X before you continue to mouth off against any one of us. You will learn a lot and realize the many of your techniques are not in the best interest of control and speed.
Old 07-28-2002, 05:50 AM

Default Re: My ATTS took over and made my Lude go outta control! :( (TimeRacer)

Ok, well it was MY bad for taking that turn. I know that. I think I would be smart enough to realize that after something like this. I went into that turn thinking that I could do it. I overestimated myself and this is what happened. Am I going to try this on the street again? No. So don't worry TimeRacer, even though I don't like hearing what you have to say, I will take your advice. I don't care if you believe me or not, but I'm normally a very reliable driver. This was just a spurt of the moment thing and I think the logic circuits in my head kinda shorted out for a moment -- which gave way to this act of stupidity. I came on this board to learn more about the turning limits of my car and I guess I wasn't ready for the flaming.

As for my mechanics, while they may be perfectly fine for daily driving, I will have to study up and work on them for racing and driving at high speeds. And you're right, my wheels were probably turned too far left after to turn, causing my car to suddenly jolt in that direction when my tires caught again. Anyway, if you have more advice and tips, I'm all ears.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do a driving school with NASA on a racetrack, you will learn what to do, and NOT do about driving a car aggessivly.. Or go to a autocross... You will learn..

Everyone else.. Don't react about the speed in a corner.. Hell, some 90 degress bends in roads can be taken at 100+, some only at 15mph.. Just because he said it was 60mph, it doesn't mean how tight the corner is

Old 07-28-2002, 11:49 PM

Default Re: My ATTS took over and made my Lude go outta control! :( (Honda318dx)

Aite thanks man. I'll definitely look into that.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok guys first of all, I did brake going into the turn and I do know what I'm doing because I've done something like this before but in a different car..
you don't know what you're doing because you here asking how to avoid it.
I braked cuz my car oversteered
like i said, you DON'T know what you're doing.
I didn't want to hit anything cuz it was a tight street,
well then why did you drive like a mad man taking the turn so fast????
I'm dissapointed with all of you drawing conclusions when you don't even have the facts straight yet.
uhm.... you gave us the facts... taking a turn at 60mph in RESIDENTIAL area and a "tight street". we don't need to hear more. and don't blame us for negative comments, you deserved them.
But thanks in advance to the more mature ppl who give positive input.
oh, so i'm immature for giving you a negative reply? and you are very mature yourself, driving like a character from F&F in a residential area. how old are you anyway????
Old 07-29-2002, 06:39 PM

Default Re: My ATTS took over and made my Lude go outta control! :( (BB1)

hmmmm glad i live in KS.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, I don't even have atts but its apparent that none of you know what it does. what it dosent do, if you have 0 throttle, is anything.

dude, learn about weight transfer, and how it affects grip, and then go test your knowledge at a track, you'll be a better driver for it, just be thankful you didn't hit that curb...
Old 07-29-2002, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My ATTS took over and made my Lude go outta control! :( (Flavour)

just be thankful you didn't hit that curb...
or kill somebody.