Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

K24/K20 Prelude Questions

Old 06-14-2006, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K24/K20 Prelude Questions

Alright I've been searching this in this forum, and many other forums. However I haven't been able to find any threads about it. I did find one with someone who did a K20 swap in their prelude, i think they're on this forum.

Anyways my questions deal more with the hybrid K24 block/K20 head franky motor. I want to know if anyone has attempted to do or accomplished this swap? If so, how much was the total cost? What kind of time would one need to put into doing this swap?

It would help me out a lot if someone could help me out with this. I would like to do this type of swap but I don't know if it's even possible on my budget. If anyone has done this, and I do decide to go though with this, I will have many more questions and would most likely ask for help along the way on how to do certain things.

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K24/K20 Prelude Questions (RyosukeFC3s)

I think you should search the other forums for an answer to this. We deal with the H22,H23, F22 and hybrids of those.

none of us mess with K20's due to the fact they arent a prelude motor. And also, whats the point ? Its been proven you can make gobs of power on an H22 for almost the same price as the entire k20 swap, if not cheaper!
Old 06-14-2006, 12:38 PM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: K24/K20 Prelude Questions (98TypeSH)

k20 into a 5th gen has already been done.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the point is to be different. you think the guy converting hsi prelude to rd on the hybrid forum cares he coudl have a mean *** h22 for what he's dropped into his car?

anyways.. sorry I can't help you much, i've seen a 5th gen in the prelude pics section with a k20, try looking for that around page 90 or older and im whoever posted it and see if they know any information about it
Old 06-14-2006, 12:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98TypeSH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think you should search the other forums for an answer to this. We deal with the H22,H23, F22 and hybrids of those.

none of us mess with K20's due to the fact they arent a prelude motor. And also, whats the point ? Its been proven you can make gobs of power on an H22 for almost the same price as the entire k20 swap, if not cheaper!</TD></TR></TABLE>
I understand what you mean about the H22 being capable of making tons of power. Theres no denying that, however seeing that the K series motors are somewhat new, I think that there is a lot more potential in the K seies motor. The market for this motor is just begining to grow where as the H series market is slowing down gradualy.

Another thing, the motor in my car has seen quite a few miles and it doesn't seem to me that it would be able to take many more upgrades. None that would be able to surpass what I want to do with a K motor. So reliability would play a big part.

I understand also that the K motor doesn't belong in a prelude, but what if honda kept making the Prelude. Maybe it would have a K motor in it. I think that if we don't try, then we'll never know.

One final note, the H22 is a very heavy motor. Even if it had the same amount of power as a K motor, it is my opinion that the K motor would be able to perform better.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:51 PM

Default Re: (shutta)

he posted on preludeonline as well too.

but he wrecked his prelude months ago.

he said he probably would never do the swap again, the only reason was because he could.

he said base cost for the swap was like ~5k. but this was awhile ago so i don't know about the price now. probably around that because you still have to get custom stuff as they dont' make kits for this swap.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:54 PM

Default Re: (petern101)

5,000 sounds very reasonable. I'm estimating probably double considering I plan on doing the hybrid motor. Total cost for everything would run close to 10,000 i assume.

Did he do a write up on the swap or anything like that?
Old 06-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree with sh stick to the h or f-series motors the only k series i would even consider and this is only if i am incredibly bored with bout 7k lying around is a k24 if its not that, dont bother to waste your money...... i hate when people say o its different, forget that people do the usual because it comes with results proven by all kinds of dyno #'s and track times, so prove me wrong get me some track times and dyno sheets with a k-series motor in a lude....
Old 06-14-2006, 01:12 PM

Default Re: K24/K20 Prelude Questions (dohcvtecpower)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcvtecpower &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i agree with sh stick to the h or f-series motors the only k series i would even consider and this is only if i am incredibly bored with bout 7k lying around is a k24 if its not that, dont bother to waste your money...... i hate when people say o its different, forget that people do the usual because it comes with results proven by all kinds of dyno #'s and track times, so prove me wrong get me some track times and dyno sheets with a k-series motor in a lude....</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to offend anyone with my question. I know the potential of the H series motor, but when you look at it, the K series motors seem to have a growing potential. I've seen K series motors with much more power than the H series motors and they have run much faster times.

I only want to improve on my 99 SH. I feel that the K series motor would be a better option to gain more performance wise than if I stuck with my current H22.

I'm not trying to be different. I just want what's best for me, and thats to go as fast as possible. I love the track. I practically live there, and I don't see me going where I want to go with my H22.

Like the saying goes "you'll never know if you never try." I want to give it a shot. I want to try. So, I'm sorry if I offended you in any way but I posted this thread to have some questions asked, not to be ridiculed for what I want to do. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:37 PM

^well then if i were you, i would invest in a different car if you love the track so much.

i don't know if you keep up with preludes on the track, but having a k series might hinder you. you won't be allowed in certain classes and parts might be harder to find (just like ppl with h23vtec hybrids, they always have questions on compatibility issues and which part to buy)

basically, there was a disscusion about this and you getting a TSX would fare you better. you can go ahead and try all this and spend a booku amounts of money, i'm not gonna stop you. but you have to look at the end product. with less money you can almost have a 270 whp prelude and suspension upgrades that would help you in the track.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:42 PM

Default Re: K24/K20 Prelude Questions (petern101)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by petern101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^well then if i were you, i would invest in a different car if you love the track so much.

i don't know if you keep up with preludes on the track, but having a k series might hinder you. you won't be allowed in certain classes and parts might be harder to find (just like ppl with h23vtec hybrids, they always have questions on compatibility issues and which part to buy)

basically, there was a disscusion about this and you getting a TSX would fare you better. you can go ahead and try all this and spend a booku amounts of money, i'm not gonna stop you. but you have to look at the end product. with less money you can almost have a 270 whp prelude and suspension upgrades that would help you in the track. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Sorry, forgot to specify what KIND of track I'm talking about. 1/4 mile is my love. I would get another car, but I love my lude. It's been so good to me, and I wouldn't give it up for the world.

And about buying parts. I'm pretty sure that most of the parts that are available for the RSX/TSX would work with the swap considering that the Prelude has a much larger engine bay than the other cars. If what you meant by compatability on what parts to get for the engine itself then I would have to say that there are more than a handful of people who have done the hybrid motor and there is enough information on the subject to write several books so I think that if I had any problems I would be able to consult these people.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:33 PM
moderator emeritus

goodluck with paying for the custom mounts, custom linkage, custom pretty much everything to get everything working.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only guy who swapped a K20 into his 5th gen ended up having an accident in it. Based on his thread about it, I didn't get the feeling he was too upset. That might be a hint.

Doing the swap requires A LOT of custom parts, as well as money. If you have the money, go for it. If I had the money, I wouldn't, but that's just me.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:01 PM

Default Re: K24/K20 Prelude Questions (AndyD)

i would so love for him to keep us posted on the status of the swap.

i can't wait. About 2 months down, we are gonna see a voluntary stop in all swapping because of either the cost/logistics/labor involved
Old 06-14-2006, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not gonna try and talk you into the H series. If all these people haven't done so already I doubt you're gonna change your mind.

I would contact the orginal K series prelude owner over at Preludeonline and find out more info. Also find a good shop.

The K20/K24 hybrid won't fit too. He barely had room with his K20, and the K24 hybrid gets even taller, so you'll run into some hood clearance issues.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:42 PM

Default Re: K24/K20 Prelude Questions (prelude707)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelude707 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not gonna try and talk you into the H series. If all these people haven't done so already I doubt you're gonna change your mind.

I would contact the orginal K series prelude owner over at Preludeonline and find out more info. Also find a good shop.

The K20/K24 hybrid won't fit too. He barely had room with his K20, and the K24 hybrid gets even taller, so you'll run into some hood clearance issues.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thats something really useful for me to know. This may be something that I should look into. I never really thought much about that since the h22 is a 2.2 and the K24 is a 2.4, so i figured size of the thing wouldn't matter that much considering the size of the engine bay. I think it would probably be wide enough for it to fit, but i never took into account height.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by petern101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would so love for him to keep us posted on the status of the swap.

i can't wait. About 2 months down, we are gonna see a voluntary stop in all swapping because of either the cost/logistics/labor involved</TD></TR></TABLE>
I would love to do this project. But right now I'm just in the early stages of planning. I'm still deciding on what to do. I want to do this project the most but of course money constraints are a big issue. I've seen the K24/k20 swaps done in other cars for around 10, so I figure at most I would need about 20. I really hope that I get to do this, but if I do decide to do it, it won't be until next year until it'll be done. If I do it, I'm gonna take a lot of time to get it right.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sport compact car (i think) had a swap article on hwo to drop a k20/24 hybrid into an older civic, if you want the article I can scan it for you and pdf it or something.. im me if you are interested, it woudl probably help you a bit
Old 06-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah.. the commment that it was 5,000ish for the complete swap in is totally off...
It's going to cost at least that much for just the motor & tranny.. THEN Plus all the custom parts..

Let's see.. Just so basic custom stuff...

- Mounts
- Axles
- Header
- Wiring harness, unless you are good at wiring..
- Fuel Lines
- Shift Linkage

Upgrades to the Engine and/or Area..

- Better ECU (hondata reflash, k20r, or krpo)
- Aluminum radiator
- Better Clutch and Flywheel
- Internal Work

There's probably a lot more.. Depending on what you're planning on doing..

Think long and hard on it.. It's not simple and obviously definately not recommended. But that might be all the more reason to do it..

Good luck with whatever you do... You'll do something with that kind of money nonetheless.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (shutta)

Honda Tuning (my fav mag for its professionalism and tech) had a 2pt article about a k20a2 head with the k24 block, comparing it to the k24a2 in the tsx, and building the complete hybrid swapped into an accord. It had IPS cams, DC5 type r intake / h22 euroR (euroR fits the k24 block apparently) intake manifolds (they alternated the two for hp comparisons), and was making around 240whp all motor, just with those mods...also they said the cams still had some tuning left in them...who knows maybe they will hit 250...And that is just with IPS k2's, the basic cam (street) he makes. There are 2 more after it...

Modified by helicopter201 at 9:46 PM 6/14/2006
Old 06-14-2006, 08:35 PM
moderator emeritus

Default Re: (helicopter201)

im curious to see how you fit an intake manifold to the block.......and i've got this funny feeling that you read wrong about it being an h22 manifold.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98vtec)

ya wow my bad i confused 2 completly different articles...the k20a2/k24 was putting out 232.4whp with ips k2's, 11:5:1 pistons, comptech header, and rsx type s intake mani.
faack it again the other article was about honda'ing the tsx and they used a EuroR Accord intake manifold but the tsx in europe is called the accord, and evidentally the accord has a k-series engine in it&gt;? just checked it differs immensly from the h22 euroR wow im off by a mile...guess it was just a wet dream +1 for 98vtec...again...
Old 06-16-2006, 10:28 PM

Default Re: (helicopter201)

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I was unable to check the board for a while cause of school stuff but I'm back for the weekend. I'm pretty familiar with the hybrid motor, but I'm just not sure how to get it to fit.

I was reading and the best thing to do would be to buy both complete engines. I figure buy the k24 motor and get a front clip from a JDM ITR. That way i can use tranny, ecu, etc etc. The k24 i found for around 1300, and the ITR would be around 6500. Labor and custom parts I figure close to 10 grand. Everything done would be less than 20k.

btw this is only an idea. I'm not 100% sure I'll go through with this. I would like more info first.

I know the clutchmasters team uses a k24/k20 hybrid turbo in their integra, so I assume that the motor should fit in a 5th gen prelude.

If I go through with this project, it would start either later this winter or early spring. Hopefully have it complete before spring nationals.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:09 PM

Default Re: (RyosukeFC3s)

No offense, but if you have to ask...

Hasport makes a swap kit for 5th gen Accords, so the kit might work for Preludes as well. That said though, while the potential for power is definitely higher, ultimately the issue is cost. If you're willing to throw caution to the wind and say "I don't care if this costs 30k to do, I'm doing it" then go for it...but HP for HP you can't beat a built H22. Type-S pistons, legit header, upgraded valvetrain, chipped OBDI ECU...you won't be on equal footing with an equally modded K20, but you'll be making very decent power.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:07 PM

Default Re: (sportyaccordy)

Wow 10-20 grand? I Suggest not to. Why? Because then you will end up with a unique car that no one else has and when it breaks its gonna cost alot to fix not only that when all is said and done, you still have a 99 prelude its still going to sell for the same amount as that guy over there with the h22 in his car. Why am I telling you this? Because I had a dumb idea once, its a money hole. I haven't put in over 10 grand yet I'm still about 2-3 grand shy and im hoping to stay a good grand away from 10 but.... Sure its gonna be fun, Sure its gonna be cool and unique but if I had a chance to do it again... I think i'd have a bike, a jet ski, and a big *** tv.