Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Just a slight problem with my Prelude..

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a slight problem with my Prelude..

Okay, to start.. I just bought a 1993 Prelude Si two days ago and I'm starting work on it now...... After driving it around, I've found just a few problems..

1) Idle surge... I know, I know, I did a search and found a nice page on it... So I'm going to troubleshoot right now (i'm sitting in my garage)

2) The H23A1 starts to miss at low RPM's with light loads while driving.. The check engine light is on... Say for instance I'm cruising at 35mph and shift into third.. and soon as I come out of the clutch and put a light load on the motor, it starts to miss and stumble momentarily..... But if I drop it into second gear and start rippin on it, it pulls and acts just fine...

Funny thing is, on my way to school this morning it was acting just fine, no stumble no misfire or anything... but when I went to leave, some girl ran out in front of me and I stalled it.. After it was stalled, I restarted it, and started to drive and the further down the road I got, the more apparent the miss was..... I'm thinking perhaps its a bad plug or something? I also noted that this thing takes premium unleaded, but my dad took it out last night, used up some gas, and filled it with REGULAR.... Is the engine that sensitive to octane that it would miss at part throttle??

Let me know, and thanks
Old 05-24-2007, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Just a slight problem with my Prelude.. (Roca fella Bryan)

you don't need to worry about the gas problem. Im in houston and back when katrina was on the threat gas pulled a david blaine.. all i could get was regular at the last minute and it really didn't make a big difference as on my idle. Nothing to make me worry. So once or twice im sure isn't so bad for it.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just a slight problem with my Prelude.. (Roca fella Bryan)

give it 91 for now on. but i'd check plugs cap rotor wires, then if those all pass, check fuel filter.
idle surge clean out IACV
do search on cleaning out iacv, pretty simple, works wonders.
do it while car is cool. if warm it washes your motor in coolant lol.