jdm h22a firing problems = not firing in cylinder #1

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jdm h22a firing problems = not firing in cylinder #1

Motor = Jdm H22a Vtec
Chasis = 95 Accord EX

The motor right now is running on 3 cylinders. Compression has been checked across the board and the readings are 230-240. Cap and Rotor have been changed along with spark plug wires and spark plugs.

There is spark coming from the spark plug when we ground it, so I know that my ignition system is good. Injectors have been also changed and still not firing in #1.

Timing is dead on.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm h22a firing problems = not firing in cylinder #1 (tsjeff)

Leak-down test.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm h22a firing problems = not firing in cylinder #1 (vinuneuro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vinuneuro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Leak-down test.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wouldnt a leak down test be helpful if my compression wasnt good?

My compression reading are 230-240 across the board.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

compression can be good, and still fail leak-down.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm h22a firing problems = not firing in cylinder #1 (vinuneuro)

well assuming that the leakdown is bad, what are the steps to make it right?

and if the leakdown was good. what else can the problems be?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you checked the firing order? i had mine messed up and it cylinder 3 was messed up
Old 04-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Shadowz7429)

fuel injecter
change it and it will fire right .
Old 04-10-2007, 04:14 PM
BlownH23a

injector, my 240 did the same thing.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlownH23a)

i say valves, piston rings or pistons.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Shadowz7429)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shadowz7429 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you checked the firing order? i had mine messed up and it cylinder 3 was messed up</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, firing order is correct.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alterdcreations &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">fuel injecterchange it and it will fire right . </TD></TR></TABLE>

injectors have been changed.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k_lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i say valves, piston rings or pistons.</TD></TR></TABLE>

please explain. how can it be any of these things?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Re: (tsjeff)

it cant be an internal problem...the compression test shows the cylinders are holding air so theres no reason to do a leakdown. a leakdown just shows how much air is escaping and from where

if youre sure youre getting spark, that means it could only be an injector or injector wiring problem. are you getting a CEL at all? you could try pulling off the injector and see if its spraying fuel ?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheWalrus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheWalrus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it cant be an internal problem...the compression test shows the cylinders are holding air so theres no reason to do a leakdown. a leakdown just shows how much air is escaping and from where

if youre sure youre getting spark, that means it could only be an injector or injector wiring problem. are you getting a CEL at all? you could try pulling off the injector and see if its spraying fuel ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am gettin a CEL. The codes are 41, 22, and 12. I don't think any of these codes affect the way the motor should be misfiring.

I was using the injectors from the h22a, then swapped it to the f22's, but still same problem. The voltage to the injector is reading 12-13 volts.

Thanks for the input
Old 04-10-2007, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tsjeff)

not having enough fuel or air doesnt cause such a big lose in compression..if the car is bogging heavily or just bogging and dieing it most likely will be the valves either intake or exhaust in the first cylinder because all of the other cylinders are firing fine..has the valves been readjusted at any time just for a tune up? mis-shifting, over revving all of these can be indications..also a ticking sound...a leakdown test should tell you more but it's definately not a piston ring unless your also smoking alot from the tail pipe...in a case like this it shouldnt be an ignition problem at all so dont waste your money on that nonsense..ive encountered a problem like that when i had two bent valves in my 4th cylinder...then i just recently reserected my car from also having 8 bent valves...and yes i tried everything from fuel-major techs. and it came back with bad leakage...pulled the head apart and there goes 8 bent valves...good luck on the find though..i highly doubt a fuel problem it would cause a stutter/lag in acceleration maybe but not leakage... when i had 8 bent valves..YES the compression ran good all the way across the leakdown test showed major leakage..in a case having a firing problem in a cylinder...its internal.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bet the injector is coming unplugged......jk sounds crazy,good luck
Old 04-11-2007, 07:21 AM

Default Re: (93sivtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93sivtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bet the injector is coming unplugged......jk sounds crazy,good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol this was my problem after my swap, one of the clips on the injector that holds that harness on had gotten bent and it wasn't clipped in all the way. I wasted 3 days and a few hundred $ replacing stuff before realizing all I had to do was properly clip in the injector.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:44 AM

Default Re: (vtech_is_4_phones)

what are codes 41 and 12?

check your oil pressure man, change your oil and oil filter. have you check the sparkplug and looked at it?

although if you had good compression it shouldnt be coverd in oil

22 is vtec pressure so somethings up with that

im too lazy to look up 41 and 12. but do those things first.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (k_lude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k_lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not having enough fuel or air doesnt cause such a big lose in compression..if the car is bogging heavily or just bogging and dieing it most likely will be the valves either intake or exhaust in the first cylinder because all of the other cylinders are firing fine..has the valves been readjusted at any time just for a tune up? mis-shifting, over revving all of these can be indications..also a ticking sound...a leakdown test should tell you more but it's definately not a piston ring unless your also smoking alot from the tail pipe...in a case like this it shouldnt be an ignition problem at all so dont waste your money on that nonsense..ive encountered a problem like that when i had two bent valves in my 4th cylinder...then i just recently reserected my car from also having 8 bent valves...and yes i tried everything from fuel-major techs. and it came back with bad leakage...pulled the head apart and there goes 8 bent valves...good luck on the find though..i highly doubt a fuel problem it would cause a stutter/lag in acceleration maybe but not leakage... when i had 8 bent valves..YES the compression ran good all the way across the leakdown test showed major leakage..in a case having a firing problem in a cylinder...its internal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will take a look at the valves later on today. The motor was imported from Japan after the f22 took a **** on me. Valves were never adjusted. The motor is a Automatic from Japan so I don't think they can misshift or overrev it. No ticking sound either.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93sivtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93sivtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bet the injector is coming unplugged......jk sounds crazy,good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

i wish. double checked and triple checked that.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Smallpox33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what are codes 41 and 12?

check your oil pressure man, change your oil and oil filter. have you check the sparkplug and looked at it?

although if you had good compression it shouldnt be coverd in oil

22 is vtec pressure so somethings up with that

im too lazy to look up 41 and 12. but do those things first.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oil has been changed. Pulled the spark plugs out. Cylinder 2-4 have carbon deposits on them. Cylinder 1 doesn't have that much deposits.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:28 AM

check ur map sensor?

umm also see if ur oil pan is dented

and check oil pressure take it to a shop and have them check it...

should be around 55 psi at vtec
Old 04-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm h22a firing problems = not firing in cylinder #1 (Smallpox33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Smallpox33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check ur map sensor?

umm also see if ur oil pan is dented

and check oil pressure take it to a shop and have them check it...

should be around 55 psi at vtec</TD></TR></TABLE>

map sensor is good. don't see why if a map sensor is faulty it would make the motor misfire.

oil pan is in perfect condition.

cant hit vtec when its running on 3 cylinders.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:09 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tsjeff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

map sensor is good. don't see why if a map sensor is faulty it would make the motor misfire.

oil pan is in perfect condition.

cant hit vtec when its running on 3 cylinders.</TD></TR></TABLE>

DUH and map sensor would make anything go bad are you kidding its like the medulla omblomgata (sp) of the car!

check all your sensors and what are codes 12 and 41!??!? im not going to look for you.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is sad..
hope you fix your ****
Old 04-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Smallpox33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

DUH and map sensor would make anything go bad are you kidding its like the medulla omblomgata (sp) of the car!

check all your sensors and what are codes 12 and 41!??!? im not going to look for you.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

code 12 is egr
code 41 is o2 sensor heater.

map sensor is good. other sensors are good also. not gettin any CEL for the other ones.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm h22a firing problems = not firing in cylinder #1 (alterdcreations)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alterdcreations &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is sad..
hope you fix your ****</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks man
Old 04-11-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: (k_lude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k_lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not having enough fuel or air doesnt cause such a big lose in compression..if the car is bogging heavily or just bogging and dieing it most likely will be the valves either intake or exhaust in the first cylinder because all of the other cylinders are firing fine..has the valves been readjusted at any time just for a tune up? mis-shifting, over revving all of these can be indications..also a ticking sound...a leakdown test should tell you more but it's definately not a piston ring unless your also smoking alot from the tail pipe...in a case like this it shouldnt be an ignition problem at all so dont waste your money on that nonsense..ive encountered a problem like that when i had two bent valves in my 4th cylinder...then i just recently reserected my car from also having 8 bent valves...and yes i tried everything from fuel-major techs. and it came back with bad leakage...pulled the head apart and there goes 8 bent valves...good luck on the find though..i highly doubt a fuel problem it would cause a stutter/lag in acceleration maybe but not leakage... when i had 8 bent valves..YES the compression ran good all the way across the leakdown test showed major leakage..in a case having a firing problem in a cylinder...its internal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ummm i really gotta disagree...the numbers he got from the compression test show that hes not losing compression (thats the point of the test). if he had bent valves, they wouldnt close all the way and the cylinder wouldnt hold air, so the comp number for cylinder 1 wouldve been a lot lower. a comp test shows how much pressure a cylinder creates and if a cylinder isnt sealing b/c of any internal problem, its numbers will be lower, period. do a little research, youll find that they are basically the same test, but the leakdown test shows where the air is escaping and how much is escaping.

a cylinder needs 3 things to fire: compression, spark (both tested), and fuel...

Quick Reply: jdm h22a firing problems = not firing in cylinder #1