Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

JDM h22 Type-SH swap. Bad gas mileage.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:45 PM
Trial User

Default Re: JDM h22 Type-SH swap. Bad gas mileage.

For my Type S conversion of my SH, we swapped out and used the USDM oil pump and the JDM Dizzy.

When I ran the USDM SH ECU on my Type S conversion, it leaned out and warped the head.

Since then, I've machined the head and I've been using a p28 chipped with a h22a Type S basemap, which means two things:

1) I cannot pass smog (non-obdII -I'm in CA); and
2) I temporarily have no ATTS

Ideally, you would use the JDM ECU since the engine is higher compression and has different timing (ideally, you'd also be using spark plugs with a shorter gap).

As for a solution, I am currently and partially in the same boat: how do I run this engine properly without misfire, stay OBD2 compliant, and keep ATTS.

My guess while still actively trying to research this is to use the USDM ECU with a piggyback to control A/F, but I've been seeing mixed reviews on piggybacks.

This has not been the easiest swap at all because of the ATTS and, if you're in CA, stringent smog laws.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

basicly Type S swap is out of the question if you cannot use JDM ecu which came with it

so answer is: move out ot CA or just do complete JDM swap - no USDM electrics
Old 12-15-2018, 03:23 PM
Trial User

I own an actual JDM Type S Prelude and get about 24 MPG running Shell V Power, and that's hitting VTEC multiple times on the daily. It's bone stock other than I removed the resonator butterfly and piping behind the front fender. Still running the stock air box and Type S intake.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need to post a pic or two!