Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Jdm F22b DOHC Timing too advanced Need help trouble shooting

Old 05-31-2018, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 Jdm F22b DOHC Timing too advanced Need help trouble shooting

I have a 1996 JDM BB4 Prelude which i recently bought on the cheap to restore. The car came from factory with a JDM H22a closed deck vtech engine.

The previous owner swapped in a JDM F22b DOHC (most likely due to the original engine dying) the problem i am having is that when i jump the service connector under the dash and put a timing light on it, its 35 deg BTDC (SO THE ENGINE OBVIOUSLY KNOCKS IF YOU ATTEMPT TO GIVE IT THROTTLE) i have checked and redone the physical timing twice and it is CORRECT as far as i can tell

Procedure; set #1 piston at TDC using mark on oil pump & Crank timing gear,verify TDC with a straw and viewed torque converter through block window
set cam gears with Up arrorws facing up and the cam marks aligned perfectly level with the surface oh the Head
with slack left on the correct side tightened the tension-er and quadruple checked all the marks and made sure that after many revolutions they all still line up perfectly
Marked the distributor where #1 (A) plug wire would be on the cap to ensure that the rotor faces the correct plug wire with engine at TDC
Put plug wires in the correct firing order 1 3 4 2
Short service Connector (after checking everything over and reassembling the engine) Start the engine let it warm up to operating Temp (checked with a numeric gauge not just the bars on the dash)
Connect Test Light(advance test light) to Batt + & - and #1 Plug wire (far away from the others) set to 15 deg aimed at Block window and the Mark is no where to be seen
Set Test Light to 34 deg Btdc & lines up perfectly ( had to try all the number between but only aligned at 34)
Took Distributor Bolts completely out and got the mark to align at 15 deg BTDC but the distributor is no where near where it should be and the engine idles at though it is about to stall, when you touch the throttle it just dies completely and wont start unless you advance the distributor position.

I have no clue what to try next can any one help me??
the only code the CEL flashes is 6 short flashes which is the eng coolant temp and thats because i tightened it too tight and broke it off.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Jdm F22b DOHC Timing too advanced Need help trouble shooting

The ignition Timing gun should be pointed at the window on your block into your flywheel while your car is running and connected to your number one cylinder ignition lead you can only see the mark when the light flashes on the flywheel if you can't see the mark u need to move your distributer around until u see it just loosen you distributor bolts very slightly don't take them out.I've done it loads of times without problems with the gun in one hand and moving the dissy with the other adjusting the distributer slowly u will eventually see the mark and line it up.