Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

If I rebuild by JDM H22A - what rebuild parts do I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If I rebuild by JDM H22A - what rebuild parts do I look for?

I want to rebuild my stock JDM H22A shortblock. What parts fit? USDM H22A parts or something different? I have already had the head rebuilt, so I just need to do the block now. Please let me know.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:04 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: If I rebuild by JDM H22A - what rebuild parts do I look for? (BoostdRex)

what are your goals? stock rebuild?
Old 08-28-2007, 08:43 AM

Default Re: If I rebuild by JDM H22A - what rebuild parts do I look for? (98vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock rebuild?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, please, just a stock rebuild.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: If I rebuild by JDM H22A - what rebuild parts do I look for? (BoostdRex)

Bump!
Old 08-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

arp rod bolts

fresh clean

possible oversize pistons?
Old 08-28-2007, 03:00 PM

I know you are saying stock rebuild, but do you need sleeves or anything? I mean if so go with darton and possibly cp, arias, etc. pistons. Or possibly hone the cylinders if need be? But otherwise, maybe replace water pump, oil pump, fuel filters, new gasket set? I just got my car rebuilt, and should be getting it within a few days and those are things I replaced, but i had an H22a4. I can't think of anything else I really purchased? And for oem parts find Mike (Honda4Life), i think he is on HT now, but defn on preludepower.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:11 PM

Default Re: If I rebuild by JDM H22A - what rebuild parts do I look for? (shrirag)

I just wanna know if the USDM H22A parts are interchangeable with the JDM H22A block to do a rebuild, or if this is different...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shrirag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know you are saying stock rebuild, but do you need sleeves or anything? </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I just wanna rebuild it to stock spec, nothing needs to aftermarket unless it'll bump my compression up a bit, but I am trying to be cost effective... This po' boy needs to get his car back on the road and rebuilding seem to be the only option. An intake valve broke off in the cylinder, bounced around, pounded the crap outta the head and busted a hole in the piston - ALL WITHOUT TOUCHING THE CYLINDER WALLS!!!! (Amazing)

I figured a hone, buy one piston, replace the rings and rod bearings and crank bearings, reusing the other 3 pistons, the rods and wristpins. I already have an oil pump and water pump sold to me when I was told it would fit it.

Suggestions?
Old 08-29-2007, 08:40 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'll just copy and paste what i said on PP:

any h22 parts will work. If you want, you can get type S pistons and atleast up the compression and give the engine a little more "response" to the throttle.
I would suggest:
Type S pistons and new rings
New main and rod bearings along with new thrust washers
- you can either mic the clearances to see what size honda bearings you need or you can purchase ACL bearings which are "one size fit all" but still need to atleast be plastigaged to insure they are within the specs.
Main seal
Oil pump
water pump
Timing belt (convert to h23 manual tensioner)
Headgasket
all new gaskets and seals

Be sure to get the pistons first. If you find a shop who is confident in working with FRM cylinder walls then i would recommend overboring the cylinders and running the oversized pistons. Boring the cylinders will fix any imperfections and will yield more leniency for the machinist.

remember that there are many combinations to rods, cranks and pistons that you can use which are still OEM but would bump the power output.

for instance, using an h23/f22 crank with h23/f22 rods and USDM pistons. The added stroke and compression would make the car a lot peppier and all around more fun to drive.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:08 PM

Default Re: If I rebuild by JDM H22A - what rebuild parts do I look for? (98vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'll just copy and paste what i said on PP:</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hehe, ok! I just found the PP site earlier today and then posted it there...