Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

idleing problem, narrowed down to the TB

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idleing problem, narrowed down to the TB

Ok, me like many on this forum have the horrible idle problem. I've tried several things, change IAC, clean it as well, clean the fast idle valve, remove the throttle body, check vacuum lines, etc. Well, I've narrowed down my problem, when you remove your intake, there is two small holes in the throttle body, I know the bottom hole is related to the fast idle valve, but what I don't know is what the top hole is related to? When my car is stopped it idles from 1k-2k, but if I cover the top hole(closest to the TPS) my car idles normally, it's as if something is causing too much air to go through that hole, unlike the fast idle valve, the top hole sucks way more air which is throwing off my idle. Can someone shed some light on me
Old 08-24-2004, 05:31 PM

Default Re: idleing problem, narrowed down to the TB (caLiH22A)

try adjusting the idle screw. when you opened up the fitv, did you tighten the screw in it too? i dont know if cleaning the fitv would do anything. last but least check your tps voltage using a voltmeter.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a new TB gasket as well as IM gaskets...they get old and oil-soaked and will leak. That fixed my idle problem.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: idleing problem, narrowed down to the TB (diluted)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by diluted &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try adjusting the idle screw. when you opened up the fitv, did you tighten the screw in it too? i dont know if cleaning the fitv would do anything. last but least check your tps voltage using a voltmeter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've adjusted the idle screw and no luck, I have it tightend all the way, if I open it the idle jumps a bit past 2k. My TPS seems to be fine, on the VAFC it marks the voltage at idle and WOT. I'm just curious as to knowing what the hole on the inner side of the TB leads too. If I partially cover it it idles fine.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:19 PM

I had the same problem. I did everything you did. I just put a plate in front of my iavc and then it stopped. Eventually one day i took the plate off and it was gone. But i still have my idle screw almost all the way tight. Im just happy it stopped on its own. I did notice after installing my Intake manifold my rpms fall quick *** hell, and the gasket was oil soaked like stated above.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: idleing problem, narrowed down to the TB (matix)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by matix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the same problem. I did everything you did. I just put a plate in front of my iavc and then it stopped. Eventually one day i took the plate off and it was gone. But i still have my idle screw almost all the way tight. Im just happy it stopped on its own. I did notice after installing my Intake manifold my rpms fall quick *** hell, and the gasket was oil soaked like stated above.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you just blocked off the IAVC between the manifold and the IAVC unit? might try that. Also, today I turned my car on and noticed that it idles at 1500rpms when it's cold and it says at 1500rpms even when it reaches operating temperature, but once it reaches normal temperature the idle begins to bounce? Anyone think it's going to be the fast idle valve?
Old 08-24-2004, 07:52 PM

like i mentioned earlier. you need to tighten the screw inside of the fast idle thermo valve. that may be the culprit. it was for me
Old 08-24-2004, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: idleing problem, narrowed down to the TB (diluted)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by diluted &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">like i mentioned earlier. you need to tighten the screw inside of the fast idle thermo valve. that may be the culprit. it was for me </TD></TR></TABLE>

I already tried that, I did it when I first removed the fast idle valve, imma go have another look, hopefully i can fix this.