Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

I was a Type-R lover before....now thoughts have changed....I love Lude now.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 09:10 PM
ImportReview

Default I was a Type-R lover before....now thoughts have changed....I love Lude now.

I have really been into these high revving R motor for about 1 year now. THey make huge peak HP. We even got our daily driver to run 11's all motor. We have built a TON of R type motors that have made huge HP at the wheels that have ran low 12's at the track. 11's in race trim. That was too easy.

I loved Type-R motors. Until today. Now I like them, but I don't reccomend them. Bash me. I can take it.

From 1996-2000 I had this car:
http://www.atomicperformance.com/hondacivic.htm

I had the 2nd H22A in a Civic ever. It was damn fast.

13.1@102 With full interior, and an Autopower roll cage in there, weighing over 2350.

It pulled great.

But I sold it in favor of the all mighty 1.8 VTEC honda motor.

I mean damn...there are so many parts you can buy for your R motor...and back then, I couldn't get a damn thing for my Prelude motor. So it couldn't make huge HP. But my car had 151 lbs of torque at the wheels. Thats more than a Type-R motor with about 230 HP at the wheels!

So back to my point....

take a 2000 Civic Hatch, like mine....Put a Type-R motor in it...like we did...run it at the track....you get about:

14.4-14.5, and it weighed in at over 2500 with me in it! The new hatches are heavy!

So then, we dropped a Prelude motor, JDM spec....and holy cow.

13.8-13.9. Talk about dominator. I mean, dang that thing pulled very hard.

And I started doing some research....CAMS are not out for the H22A. JUN and Crower. And JG. Never before was this available. NOw every single piston company makes good dome pistons for them...never before....
Now you can get good flywheels....never before...And Accord Type-R intake manifolds...wow. Huge improvement.

Some dude milled his H22A head .0025 and put on the bolt ons and got 200 WHP and 161 lbs of torque.

I mean DAMN. If that was a type-R, he would have to spend about 4-5 GRAND to get that power...and still lose to the prelude motor...that only spend 900 bucks.

I am prelude now.

Jeff
Old 06-14-2001, 09:34 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I was a Type-R lover before....now thoughts have changed....I love Lude now. (ImportReview)

Glad that you have finally seen the light. Or is that we are glad that all the aftermrket manufacturers are finally starting to see the light?
Old 06-14-2001, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I was a Type-R lover before....now thoughts have changed....I love Lude now. (ImportReview)

You're speaking exclusively for Drag use. For anything besides drag racing (where turns are involved), it isn't practical.

Old 06-15-2001, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I was a Type-R lover before....now thoughts have changed....I love Lude now. (Jonesy69)

welcome to the cult my friend...
Old 06-15-2001, 09:13 AM
ImportReview

Default Re: I was a Type-R lover before....now thoughts have changed....I love Lude now. (JG Luder)

Wait until you guys see the lude motor I am building right now to put in my 2000 hatch.

damn that thing is awesome.

Jeff
Old 06-15-2001, 09:24 AM
Trial User

ImportReview:

Can you give an outline of what you are doing to it?
Old 06-15-2001, 09:25 AM
ImportReview

Default (BackyardSpecial)

I think H22A is VERy practical. Its only 90 lbs more than a Type-R motor. And if you get a lightened flywheel, its only 80 lbs more.

Its not too different at all. I mean, starting off with over 25 lbs of torque more and more Hp at the wheels is pretty damn good.

99% of the Honda/Acura lover crowd mostly likes to accelerate in a straight line anyway. Road racing is not a super popular activity because its expensive and its easy to wreck your car.

Jeff

P.S. here is what I am doing with my new H22A motor....

I have an adaptor plate for the tranny...so I will be using a GS-R tranny.
I have some "secret", tight fitting pistons, that I will be using with HUGE domes on them....
I am putting all new bearings in it...
THe head is being ported and Polished with .5MM oversize valves with the stock cams...which in a prelude are actually pretty big and good...
An Accord Type-R intake manifold is going on....YES YES YES.
Iceman intake systems wrapped in thermo heat wrap....going on...of course.
Custom made header 4-2-1 try-Y going on there...

And I expect around 225 Wheel Horsepower. Thats not alot of horses, but wait until you see the friggen torque. I estimate around 170 lbs at the wheels. The motor is going to be extremely reliable, and be daily driven.

Nothing dominator drag race, but enough to beat some ferrari's and Vipers.

Jeff

[Modified by ImportReview, 6:30 PM 6/15/2001]
Old 06-15-2001, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I was a Type-R lover before....now thoughts have changed....I love Lude now. (BackyardSpecial)

Yea, that heavy H22a in the front of a civic in autox or track would suck ***!!
Old 06-15-2001, 09:37 AM

Default Re: I was a Type-R lover before....now thoughts have changed....I love Lude now. (Honda318dx)

sounds a lot like my motor...
Old 06-15-2001, 09:49 AM
ImportReview

Default Re: I was a Type-R lover before....now thoughts have changed....I love Lude now. (JG Luder)

Pretty similar JGLuger.

Except the pistons I will be using fit 2x tighter than those Arias.

How much did your motor DYNO at? It must be over 200 if you can hit 13's.

It must be fun to drive....I mean in my 92 hatch with my H22A..I could drop down in 3rd on the freeway and just lay rubber. Can't do that with a 1.8 ltr.

Jeff
Old 06-15-2001, 10:01 AM
Trial User

What kind of header will you be running? Did you find a 4-2-1 header is the best for the H22A?

I also wanted to say that it's great having your wealth of knowledge on this message board.
Old 06-15-2001, 10:05 AM

Default Re: I was a Type-R lover before....now thoughts have changed....I love Lude now. (girlRacer)

I can't burn 'em in 3rd... but I can lay a nasty scratch on the highway. My car's just too heavy.
Old 06-15-2001, 10:05 AM
ImportReview

Default Re: I was a Type-R lover before....now thoughts have changed....I love Lude now. (girlRacer)

I know about 4 people that make headers. I will have one custom made to my specifications for the Prelude motor. Expect it to be 1 7/8 primaries, to 2 " secondaries, to a 2.75" collector or so....

Something like that...

Jeff
Old 06-15-2001, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you can make a good header (JDM ITR comparable) and keep the cost resonable, you will get a lot of buyers.. I have looked and looked for a better header then my DC, and hytech or mugen are the only ways to go, if you got a deep wallet, which i don't have..

I was reading on the ITR board how you were discouraged with the people on there, on the prelude board, you will find a lot more people that want to know, instead of people that think they know it all (ie: ITR board).. Welcome!
Old 06-15-2001, 05:26 PM
New User

Where can I get a Accord Type R manifold? I want one!!!
Old 06-15-2001, 06:29 PM
New User

Default Re: I was a Type-R lover before....now thoughts have changed....I love Lude now. (H22CIVIC)

Me too...........
Old 06-15-2001, 09:58 PM

Default Re: I was a Type-R lover before....now thoughts have changed....I love Lude now. (D.specs)

Ok you've got my attention. I want to have a mean *** prelude. Tell me what I need to do. I know it is an SS but I know my baby has potential. My simple dream is to maybe have the fastest SS prelude out there. With your knowlege I think it can happen. So lay it on me!
Old 06-15-2001, 11:59 PM
ImportReview

Default Re: I was a Type-R lover before....now thoughts have changed....I love Lude now. (Deadly-Lude)

By September....I will be building a GRIP of prelude motors...and taking orders for prelude motors...

big HP prelude motors. But not yet. I need to build 5 to see what works the best, so I don't waste your money.

I love all the people on the H22A board. just so you know.

Jeff
Old 06-16-2001, 12:03 AM
New User

Well definitely keep us informed on how well your coming along with these motors!!!
Old 06-16-2001, 09:55 AM

Like Honda318dx said. here on the prelude we are all ears and glad to see someone who knows there stuff.
Old 06-16-2001, 01:12 PM
New User

Default Re: I was a Type-R lover before....now thoughts have changed....I love Lude now. (Deadly-Lude)

Does the Accord Type-R intake manifold bolt right on? Can you give me more info about that? Thanks a lot.
Old 06-16-2001, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I was a Type-R lover before....now thoughts have changed....I love Lude now. (Steppin Razor)

its NOT a straight bolt in. Billy (71DSP) has more information as well as Sun.
Old 06-16-2001, 03:38 PM
Trial User

Some pics of the Accord Type-R intake manifold can be seen here:
http://students.washington.edu/sunn/atr.html

The following parts needed are:

Intake manifold
IAC valve
fuel rail
fuel pressure regulator (offset type)
throttle cable bracket
fuel injectors (or machine intake manifold to accept stock ones)

That's about it. The manifold does bolt on with no modifications though. I'll have a full write up whenever I get mine. I sent it out to be ported, but it's taken a while to get here.
Old 06-16-2001, 07:22 PM
ImportReview

Default Accord Type-R intake manifold...

Its bolts on yes...but there is only 1 problem.

The injector holes are way too small for H22A injectors. So you need to drill them bigger...

the reason is because the Accord Type-R injectors are like S2000 Injectors and are very thin and long...like a needle kinda...so you will need to drill them out and find the appropriate rubber gasket to seal them...

Now you know

Jeff
Old 06-16-2001, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Accord Type-R intake manifold... (ImportReview)

Does anyone know of any good machine shops here in North Carolina.

Quick Reply: I was a Type-R lover before....now thoughts have changed....I love Lude now.