Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

can the starter bend valves?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can the starter bend valves?

kinda a dumb question but i was driving my h22'ed accord i recently put skunk2 stage2's and supertech valvetrain and i took it to 8200 for the first time tonight. afterward i noticed a strage noise, popped the hood and i could tell it was coming from the t-belt area. the car was idling fine though no misfires or anything so being i was in the middle of no where i decided to risk it and limp home. i got back into civilization and was stopped at a light and i decided to shut my car off. i couldnt get it to start after, i pushed it off to the shoulder and checked **** out and i noticed my timing was off a few teeth.

after i got towed home (god bless triple a) i tried turning the motor over by hand and the belt was really loose and would jump teeth on the cam gears.

im guessing my auto tensioner failed for some reason so but i guess it was just tight enough to keep the car running until i shut it off and the valvetrain stopped and the belt was just loose enough to jump off the cam gears.

now my question is could i have bent the vavles trying to turn the motor over at the light? if a valve is open and the starter pushes a piston into it does it have enough force to bend it? i really dont feel like pulling my head off

pray for my engine
Old 05-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Master H Technician

Default Re: can the starter bend valves? (homey dont play dat)

No, the starter cannot bend valves... Answering the topic title...

Yes, its very easily possible to bend valves once you start slipping teeth... If you drove it while the belt was flapping you likely slipped teeth while driving... You also likely bent valves... Replace with a manual tensioner and do a compression test... Quick test it to set cams at TDC... Then rotat crank and listen for compression to build in all cylinders as the bottom end rotates... It usually will give an indication of problems quickly..
Old 05-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can the starter bend valves? (JTCdudeman)

it seemed to be idling ok before i shut it off other then the noise the belt was making so im hoping it didnt slip until i tried to restart it. maybe im just in denial, i really dont feel like pulling it apart
Old 05-09-2006, 10:34 PM

Starter can bend valves. Most problem for ppl that dont know how to put something in time. more than Ten degrees off or three or four teeth and couple cranks of the starter. will royaly expletive something up.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can the starter bend valves? (HOsNiDA)

i must be the luckeist person ever, replaced my auto tensioner and no bent valves. the tensioner i put in was used and doesnt really seem to be tightening the belt as much as it should. im definatly doing a manual tensioner asap but i need my car to run as it is my daily driver so im just gonna be real careful till then.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Master H Technician

Default Re: can the starter bend valves? (homey dont play dat)

Heh... you get lucky once... and then you opt to chance it again... I guess I have seen people do less intelligent things than this... Hope your luck doesnt run out.. (this was a nice post... as to why its so akward sounding... Too many places to bash..)
Old 05-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JTCdudeman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> (this was a nice post... as to why its so akward sounding... Too many places to bash..)</TD></TR></TABLE>

not sure what you mean but yea i didnt really take the time to spell check and grammer check my posts really.

i guess being careful isnt my thing

im probably gonna scope out the junkyard this weekend for manual tensioner stuff.