Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

How do I tell if I have the factory alarm/keyless entry system on my 97 SH

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I tell if I have the factory alarm/keyless entry system on my 97 SH

My 97 Sh didn't come with the keyless entry alarm/fob but it does have the little red light on top of the steering columng which has never lit up yet. How do I tell if the car has the factory keyless entry/alarm system.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:08 PM

i don't think the stock alarm had a LED light. you might have an aftermarket alarm, that would explain the LED on the steering column. i don't have the factory system, nor does anyone i know so i don't know where its located. most aftermarket alarms are located behind the dash by the steering column. if get on the floor where the pedals are on the drivers side and look up behind the dash you will see a box with a bunch of non-factory looking wire harnesses. if you see one of those, look for a name on it like viper, or clifford, etc...
Old 04-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do your doors lock when the car starts?
also the alarm should be, unless i'm thinking wrong, to the drivers side almost right below the vent by the cruise control unit. also you can try unhooking your battery and reconnecting it and if it goes off then you have at least an alarm but then you have to turn it off somehow...
most alarms/ keyless systems have fused wires. try to find one under your dash and follow it back. there could also be a relay pack<four or five relays connected together> hiding up there to control the different functions.
if you need i can get you the wire colors for the wires that would be used in an install like this and you can check those. pm me of you need/want them
Old 04-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just thought, turn the key in the door lock cylinder to lock and unlock and see what it does. if the alarm does happen to go off this could be a way to shut it off if it's factory