Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

How can I tell if it's the rotors or tire balancing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I tell if it's the rotors or tire balancing?

My symptoms are as follows:

Mild shaking of the steering wheel at highway speeds especially uphill.
Mild shaking of the steering wheel when slowing from highway speeds.

I haven't experienced any pedal pushback while braking if that helps.

What do you think it might be?

Old 07-21-2004, 05:41 PM
Kal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How can I tell if it's the rotors or tire balancing? (FD3S)

mild shaking at highway speeds = balance

i had that problem...
Old 07-21-2004, 05:58 PM
eLUDEnu

Default Re: How can I tell if it's the rotors or tire balancing? (Kal)

kinda sounds like both
Old 07-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I tell if it's the rotors or tire balancing? (eLUDEnu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eLUDEnu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">kinda sounds like both</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, that is what i was thinking.

wondering if there are anymore tell tale signs it's one or the other.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its both .
Old 07-21-2004, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its both. warped rotors will shake when slowing down applying brake, highspeed= wheel balance.

note: snow packed in wheels will cause of balance wheels
Old 07-21-2004, 07:42 PM

Default Re: How can I tell if it's the rotors or tire balancing? (fuctup)

my brother had the same problem.
and when he was slowing down it shaked.
so I thought it was a warped rotor.
but it all it was was a bad tire hop.

check your tires make sure theres no tears in them.
if your lucky thats all it is.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:14 AM

balance tires first, then see if the vibration while slowing persists.

it could be the rotors, but it could also be your cv joints or something else in the suspension.

if your rotors are significantly warped (that is to say if they are bad enough they should be replaced), you can speed up to about 35-40mph, and lightly, LIGHTLY touch the brakes until they are applied. you'd feel a faint vibration in the pedal then. in other words, it wouldnt' just come up at highway speeds. somethign else however, might. BUT - tires first.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I tell if it's the rotors or tire balancing? (kablamo)

ok guys how about this one ... its been buggin me lately ... my car ocassionaly(randomly w/o cause btw) used to pull to the right ... and i was like damn my alingment ... but now it randomly pulls to the left ALSO... lol btw these are both on a straight road with no bumps ... whats wrong wit my car??
Old 07-22-2004, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How can I tell if it's the rotors or tire balancing? (foshizllmynizl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foshizllmynizl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok guys how about this one ... its been buggin me lately ... my car ocassionaly(randomly w/o cause btw) used to pull to the right ... and i was like damn my alingment ... but now it randomly pulls to the left ALSO... lol btw these are both on a straight road with no bumps ... whats wrong wit my car??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tramlining.

It is when you lower your car and your camber is off, your car will follow grooves in the road.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I tell if it's the rotors or tire balancing? (LudeyKrus)

its not lowered yet ... and the road is smooth as my *** ...
Old 07-23-2004, 03:49 AM

Default Re: How can I tell if it's the rotors or tire balancing? (foshizllmynizl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foshizllmynizl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok guys how about this one ... its been buggin me lately ... my car ocassionaly(randomly w/o cause btw) used to pull to the right ... and i was like damn my alingment ... but now it randomly pulls to the left ALSO... lol btw these are both on a straight road with no bumps ... whats wrong wit my car??</TD></TR></TABLE>

how hard does it pull to the side?

if it's just a bit, you're probably worrying over nothing, there are lots of factors (all minimal) that could be responsible.

if it requires conscious effort to keep the wheel straight, something must be wearing in your suspension
Old 07-23-2004, 05:21 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foshizllmynizl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its not lowered yet ... and the road is smooth as my *** ...</TD></TR></TABLE>

it the lay of the road, they put it angles towards the shoulder, the middle of the road is highest, causng the car to pull
Old 07-23-2004, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I tell if it's the rotors or tire balancing? (Turbo Sam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kablamo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how hard does it pull to the side?

if it's just a bit, you're probably worrying over nothing, there are lots of factors (all minimal) that could be responsible.

if it requires conscious effort to keep the wheel straight, something must be wearing in your suspension</TD></TR></TABLE>

its almost like if a random person just came and turned the steering wheel a inch to the left or the right ... and from there i have to go pull it back ...
Old 07-23-2004, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and my bad for stealing FD3S's thread ... lol
Old 07-23-2004, 11:00 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foshizllmynizl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

its almost like if a random person just came and turned the steering wheel a inch to the left or the right ... and from there i have to go pull it back ...</TD></TR></TABLE>

well that doesn't sound like too much... it's the kind of thing that strong crosswinds might be responsible for...

is everything tight in the suspension? ball joints, tie rods? any possibility that one side tire is more worn (ie due to racing a course in one direction).

while this may not seem like the best advice, in my experience something that small you're better off ignoring it until it gets worse, provided you make sure it's nothing really basic. as long as you are aware of the problem, just pay attention if it gets worse. no sense in spending hours and hundreds of dollars because your car sometimes weens to the side.

however if you dont mind ponying 50$ or so for an alignement, that's probably a good idea because they are so precise that any problem would come up. pick a good place though, you dont want some 17 yr old yahoo doing a **** poor job.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foshizllmynizl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and my bad for stealing FD3S's thread ... lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

it's all good i think i got my answer. i'm gonna go get my tires checked out today.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea im thinking its the air pressure in my tires too ... ill take it to a gas station this weekend and see wassup then ... thanks guys ... pece
Old 07-24-2004, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i have a similar problem except that when i break it shakes soooo much the entire car is shaking....what is that?
usually at highway speeds....at slower speeds it doesnt really doit....

alignment and balancing?
Old 07-24-2004, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How can I tell if it's the rotors or tire balancing? (AznBlueBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AznBlueBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i have a similar problem except that when i break it shakes soooo much the entire car is shaking....what is that?
usually at highway speeds....at slower speeds it doesnt really doit....

alignment and balancing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

neither. warped rotors. I straightened my rotors by going to the track. braking hard for 15 minute lap sessions and then letting them cool down slowly by driving straightened them out. I also used to have the problem when my brake caliper brackets needed grease. if the caliper is not "floating" on greased pins (I've got pics if need be) then it could be that the rotors are having the pads applied to them unevenly. just to let you know for what it's worth

the Pirate
Old 07-25-2004, 05:32 PM

Default Re: How can I tell if it's the rotors or tire balancing? (PirateMcFred)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PirateMcFred &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I straightened my rotors by going to the track. braking hard for 15 minute lap sessions and then letting them cool down slowly by driving straightened them out

the Pirate</TD></TR></TABLE>

pirate, how successful were you in "restraitening" your rotors and how bad were they in the first place? can you visually tell if rotors are warped? with the wheels off of course.

i'm getting brakes next week and will pay my shop if it's something that can be checked out. my 92 has drilled rotors so having them machined isn't an option correct? my car shakes as i brake from highway speeds, but i also have this problem

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foshizllmynizl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its almost like if a random person just came and turned the steering wheel a inch to the left or the right ... and from there i have to go pull it back ... </TD></TR></TABLE>
only difference is mine is about 3 inches
Old 07-25-2004, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How can I tell if it's the rotors or tire balancing? (bboyprelude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bboyprelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pirate, how successful were you in "restraitening" your rotors and how bad were they in the first place? can you visually tell if rotors are warped? with the wheels off of course.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

My rotors were not bad but more than just noticable, the steering column would shake. Now when I brake it is as if there was never a problem. The only way I think that you could visually see the rotors being warped is if the pads wore them funny. I also do not see why your rotors could not be turned or machined straight since the only thing you need to worry about is the minimum thickness which the drilling will not affect. But I am sure that your brake shop can set your issues straight.