Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Honda vs. Synthetic Auto Trans fluid

Old 12-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda vs. Synthetic Auto Trans fluid

I want to clarify a couple of things: (I own a 97 Prelude 4spd automatic with 83.000 miles)

1)What is best for my transmission and it's longevity; standard or synthetic trans fluid?

2)Is it better to drain and refill or hook up to a machine when changing fluid?

I have yet to get any decisive answers for these questions from mechanics or the Honda Dealer. I'm okay with spending the extra cash if I know it will benefit the transmission.. Any thoughts to the above concerns?

I have heard varying opinions on what type of fluid to use and/or if it is good or bad to have the transmission flushed by machine (some say it can damage the seals?) Right now, I believe there is generic fluid within...
Old 12-17-2013, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by khafre3
I want to clarify a couple of things: (I own a 97 Prelude 4spd automatic with 83.000 miles)

1)What is best for my transmission and it's longevity; standard or synthetic trans fluid?

2)Is it better to drain and refill or hook up to a machine when changing fluid?

I have yet to get any decisive answers for these questions from mechanics or the Honda Dealer. I'm okay with spending the extra cash if I know it will benefit the transmission.. Any thoughts to the above concerns?

I have heard varying opinions on what type of fluid to use and/or if it is good or bad to have the transmission flushed by machine (some say it can damage the seals?) Right now, I believe there is generic fluid within...

Honestly, Honda makes the best fluid for their transmission, Atf
z1 or Atf Dw1 is Fine. However, Honda didn't do a good job at designing this particular transmission to last. In regards to fluid change, I like to flush and fill without a machine. There's a video on how to do this on YouTube.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Honda vs. Synthetic Auto Trans fluid

You're trans will more then likely go out for non-fluid related reasons. Just use Honda brand ATF and call it a day.

You dont need a machine, those are only there to make mechanics lives easier.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i only use honda tranny fluid.

if it was made specificity for hondas, use it.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The flush machines should never be used on a Honda, Honda will even void a warranty if one has been used, it's a huge no no.

It's not just Prelude transmissions guys, a lot of late 90's and early 00's Honda's had the same issues as well as the warranties being extended, it was a bad time for Honda's AT's. I work at one, actually see way more Odyssey, Civic and Accord AT's go out than Preludes but then again no one brings Prelude's to the dealer, those along with S2000's are usually pretty poorly maintained.

The engineers know way more than you or any aftermarket company as far as the fluid goes, if your transmission is going to fail then it will fail, if it does best to buy a Honda reman'd unit that has the problems addressed and has a 3yr/36k warranty. Way better than most transmission shops 1 year warranty. The reman'd units are pretty reliable.