Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Honda Prelude 2001 base automatic Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Prelude 2001 base automatic Questions

So the only Honda prelude available in my town as of now is a base 2001 prelude with an automatic transmission. I wanted a manual for the experience, but traveling outside my city isn't really an option just for buying a car. Anyways, it has 193 k miles on it, but I'm no too worried about that since Hondas are known for reliability. Here are my questions.

I would eventually like to turbo charge this car and be pushing around 300 - 400hp. I read up on the high power output issues with the type sh model because of the ATTS, but the base seems to be fine. Will any problems arise, assuming the transmission is in good condition, with doing this mod to an automatic version?

I also have a build wishlist that I will be saving money over the years in order to complete the build. I was going to go with this turbo kit:
TSI Extreme Turbo Kit for 1997-2001 Honda Prelude - HP2501 On Sale: $2,499.00

Exhaust:
invidia q300 cat back system, GESI high flow cat, DC sport two piece headers

intake:
stock I am assuming? I didn't think an aftermarket intake would make a huge difference with forced induction. if not, than an AEM dual chamber v2 intake

engine:
skunk 2 pro series throttle body, alpha series valve springs and retainer kit, alpha series connecting rods, JE Pistons forged asymmetrical pistons (stock size and ratio), re-sleeved with darton sleeves, and Total Seal piston rings.
Also, an engine torque dampener and Plasmacore pulse plugs

Fuel system:
AEM fuel pump, Holley fuel pressure regulator, 1000cc ID fuel injectors

Electric:
Hondata s300 with a used Integra ems off ebay (PR4 I believe?), Apexi AVC-R boost controller, HKS speed limit defencer and Jet V force performance module (might not get last two as they may be redundant and a waste of money)

Suspension:
Tein coilovers, power stop z26 brakes, Michelin pilots, new wheels

exterior and interior isn't really important, but I plan to get the OEM lip kit and a type r spoiler, race seats, halo lights, etc.

Final question. some of the parts in the description online say "off road only" or "not legal for street use". Is that true? How would someone find out? (cant imagine a cop pulling me over and checking under my hood)

thanks for the help in advance!
Old 06-04-2017, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Honda Prelude 2001 base automatic Questions

Auto transmission cant even handle stock power so if you want to turbo it look into manual transmission swap (with lsd)

"Off road use only" means that manufacturers dont want to quaranteen that you can get inspections passed so use with your own responsibility

For turbo setup dont look into any catback exhausts, you need 3" custom and DC doesn't make turbo manifolds
Old 06-05-2017, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TimiK
Auto transmission cant even handle stock power so if you want to turbo it look into manual transmission swap (with lsd)

"Off road use only" means that manufacturers dont want to quaranteen that you can get inspections passed so use with your own responsibility

For turbo setup dont look into any catback exhausts, you need 3" custom and DC doesn't make turbo manifolds

I recently read the forced induction post. It seemed like a lot of the stuff i chose matched. I decided to expand my search and found a type sh manual 97 prelude about four hours out. Disabling the ATTS is fine with me since I am not building a drag car and the extra dead weight wont make a huge difference. Cant a shop modify the exhaust header to work with the turbo? here is a link to it
https://www.carid.com/1997-honda-pre...-11019400.html

also the q300 exhaust system is a 2.75 inch system. Cant that be modified to work as well? or would it just be cheaper to have a custom exhaust built?
Old 06-06-2017, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by castallion
I recently read the forced induction post. It seemed like a lot of the stuff i chose matched. I decided to expand my search and found a type sh manual 97 prelude about four hours out. Disabling the ATTS is fine with me since I am not building a drag car and the extra dead weight wont make a huge difference.
but that makes huge difference when you cant have LSD transmission with SH - whats the point of having power if you cant get it to the ground?

Cant a shop modify the exhaust header to work with the turbo?
eh.... no

na and turbo manifolds are....totally different

also the q300 exhaust system is a 2.75 inch system. Cant that be modified to work as well? or would it just be cheaper to have a custom exhaust built?
Well you can get 3" piping kit for $238.50, then just buy resonator and muffler

http://store.kteller.com/kteller/kte...s/g-62616.aspx
Old 06-07-2017, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"but that makes huge difference when you cant have LSD transmission with SH - whats the point of having power if you cant get it to the ground?"

Alright then. I was looking at dealers only but I guess I'll expand my options to craigslist as well.

"na and turbo manifolds are....totally different"

so when installing a turbo, you have to have a intake an exhaust manifold custom fabricated since all the "bolt on" mods are for a N/A car. That makes sense.

other than that are their any other issues with my build list. I changed the ecu to a honda civic p28 to pair with the hondata s300
Old 06-07-2017, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are turbo ex manifolds for H22, no need to go custom there but of course depends about your turbo - does flanges fit

and ecus - P28 dont use IABS and P72 does, thats the main difference between them (depends which intake manifold youre using)

Otherwise look into cooling and traction when going to turbo.

https://www.innovativemounts.com/Pro...ductCode=50110 (I found this some time ago, might help?)

Im not the best guy to tell you about turbo stuff but some basics..
Old 07-08-2017, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whatever you do, do not get an automatic 5th gen Prelude. Get a manual, especially if you want to mod it in any way at all.