Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

High pitch howling noise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High pitch howling noise?

I have a 96 Prelude S with 90,000 miles. 2 times this past week the car made a high pitch howling noise. I usually associate a belt making a high pitch squealing noise, but this was louder, and howling noise was the best word I had to describe it.. It was a consiastant high pitch noise..

The first time it happend, I was going into 2nd gear from 3rd, and it did it for a few seconds. This last time, I was at a Mcdonalds drive thru, and it did it for 10 seconds while I was sitting in neutral, and then a few seconds longer as I drove off..

Does anyone know what that sound may be? I am getting a new timing belt and water pump put on next weekend, and I want my car to last til then.

Thanks,
Del
Old 08-14-2005, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you sure it's not a loose alternator or power steering belt?
Old 08-15-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: High pitch howling noise? (dELfONiK)

does it sound like its coming from the passenger side by the ecu or tranny? mine goes sometimes from high to low with a high whistling type noise....i took it to the shop that did my car and they said it was the intake making sounds into the manifold? shiot i havent heard anyone's intake to manifold sound like that...
Old 08-15-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: High pitch howling noise? (JDMH22NLINE4)

sounds more like you might have a bearing going bad, My lude lost the power steering pulley bearing at 130,000 miles. Easiest way to check is put a screwdriver right behind the pulleys and place you ear to it while engine running. Obviously don't get caught in the pulley but u should be able to hear it, also works great for dizzy's that might be going bad too.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:13 PM

JDMH22, I know exactly what your talkin about. I had a post about this earlier but couldn't figure it out either. The sound sounds like it's comin from somewhere in the intake manifold. I swapped out my IM, TB with a euro r IM, and RPM TB but the whisling noise is still there.

It makes the noise mostly when the motor warms up huh??
Old 08-15-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: High pitch howling noise? (JDMH22NLINE4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMH22NLINE4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does it sound like its coming from the passenger side by the ecu or tranny? mine goes sometimes from high to low with a high whistling type noise....i took it to the shop that did my car and they said it was the intake making sounds into the manifold? shiot i havent heard anyone's intake to manifold sound like that...</TD></TR></TABLE>

It actually sounds like it's coming from the driver side... Like I said, it's happend twice. First time for a few seconds, and the most recent time around 15 seconds.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackLudeSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds more like you might have a bearing going bad, My lude lost the power steering pulley bearing at 130,000 miles. Easiest way to check is put a screwdriver right behind the pulleys and place you ear to it while engine running. Obviously don't get caught in the pulley but u should be able to hear it, also works great for dizzy's that might be going bad too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to try that.