Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Help what should I do about my ecu??

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help what should I do about my ecu??

Hi folks I'm new here and wish someone help me
I have 98 prelude with h22 stock engine I will put t3 57ar 500cc injectors at 9psi now everything is easy the only pro I face is the ecu I dont want use piggy back or standalone both expensive and not worth it I'm just looking for 290 max
Now some seller in eBay say I can run with p28ecu with conversion harness and remapped chip or something like that I dont have alot experince in ecu can someone tell me if that p28 work well with 9psi?? Is there anyway to make the ecu work with my turbo ?
Old 11-22-2014, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help what should I do about my ecu??

Bump!!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes you have to use a chippable ecu such as the p28 or p72 AND it has to be obd1 AND you have to have it chipped. You will need an obd2 to obd1 conversion harness and you will need a distributor conversion harness from rywire. Then you will need to tune that ecu at a local tuner.

However i dont get why youd want to boost a high performance vtec engine like an h22.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also you're going to need a piggy back system of some sort, not just the chipped ecu. That only allows for the add on of the software etc. If you're going to do it you'll have to do it right. You don't want to deal with ebay sellers due to lack of support when you have issues. Phearable.net is a good resource (John Vega). good luck
Old 11-26-2014, 06:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by accordturb96
Also you're going to need a piggy back system of some sort, not just the chipped ecu. That only allows for the add on of the software etc. If you're going to do it you'll have to do it right. You don't want to deal with ebay sellers due to lack of support when you have issues. Phearable.net is a good resource (John Vega). good luck
What? Why would a piggyback system be needed with a chipped ecu? So far as the tune goes, a chipped ecu would be fine.

However...... You would then need a boost controller, either manual or electronic. If you go with an ecu system such as Hondata, which would also install into a modified Honda ecu such as P06, P28, P72 etc, you can control boost through the ecu as well, which simplifies everything for your tuner.

That said, I think you should do quite a bit more reading and research before trying to boost your car, and talk to a local tuner who you would deal with to get the car running properly.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by snobordboy
What? Why would a piggyback system be needed with a chipped ecu? So far as the tune goes, a chipped ecu would be fine.

However...... You would then need a boost controller, either manual or electronic. If you go with an ecu system such as Hondata, which would also install into a modified Honda ecu such as P06, P28, P72 etc, you can control boost through the ecu as well, which simplifies everything for your tuner.

That said, I think you should do quite a bit more reading and research before trying to boost your car, and talk to a local tuner who you would deal with to get the car running properly.
mixing up my thoughts...he doesnt want the tuning systems but thats what he is going to have to use a different ecu and tune it
Old 11-26-2014, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Yes you have to use a chippable ecu such as the p28 or p72 AND it has to be obd1 AND you have to have it chipped. You will need an obd2 to obd1 conversion harness and you will need a distributor conversion harness from rywire. Then you will need to tune that ecu at a local tuner.

The above is correct, except you do not need a distributor adapter. Your stock Prelude distributor can be left intact with no changes at all. The OBD2 distributor will work without problems with an OBD1 ECU.

However i dont get why youd want to boost a high performance vtec engine like an h22.
The H22 is an excellent engine to turbocharge. I have yet to find an engine that doesn't like boost when done correctly.

Originally Posted by accordturb96
You do not need a piggy-back system with a socketed/chipped ECU. The reason for the socketed/chipped ECU is so that you can have it tuned. A piggy-back system should only be used if no other option is available.

You will need:
1. Socketed/chipped P28 ECU with an H22 basemap that is setup for your engine modifications: Socketed and Chipped OBD1 P28 VTEC ECU | HA Motorsports

2. OBD2A to OBD1 ECU jumper harness so that you can plug the OBD1 ECU into your car: HA Motorsports OBD2A to OBD1 ECU Jumper Harness

3. Have your car tuned. This will allow your engine to run its best for your mods and get the most from your chipped ECU
Old 12-01-2014, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HAMOTORSPORTS
The H22 is an excellent engine to turbocharge. I have yet to find an engine that doesn't like boost when done correctly.

You do not need a piggy-back system with a socketed/chipped ECU. The reason for the socketed/chipped ECU is so that you can have it tuned. A piggy-back system should only be used if no other option is available.

You will need:
1. Socketed/chipped P28 ECU with an H22 basemap that is setup for your engine modifications: Socketed and Chipped OBD1 P28 VTEC ECU | HA Motorsports

2. OBD2A to OBD1 ECU jumper harness so that you can plug the OBD1 ECU into your car: HA Motorsports OBD2A to OBD1 ECU Jumper Harness

3. Have your car tuned. This will allow your engine to run its best for your mods and get the most from your chipped ECU
What about thicker head gasket to lower the engine compresion ist that important?
Old 12-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=Prelude900;50084697]What about thicker head gasket to lower the engine compresion ist that important?[/QUO
You have alot more to worry about before you get to that.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Prelude900
What about thicker head gasket to lower the engine compresion ist that important?
No, get Hondata or Neptune and tune the motor for the boost.

Originally Posted by HAMOTORSPORTS

You will need:

^ Do what he said.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Mykizism

^ Do what he said.
lol wow... look the cheapest way to go is a chipped obd1 vtec ecu and a ecu jumper harness and then go get it tuned. Its the cheapest way to go. Hamotorsporsts is right. if you are still looking go to Pm me ill hook you up
Old 12-22-2014, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mykizism

^ Do what he said.
But as I know the engine high compresion and since dont want to change piston to lower the compresion I will go with thicker head gasket but u said no y?