Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Help 98 Prelude With Yonaka 2.5" Exhaust Too Loud

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help 98 Prelude With Yonaka 2.5" Exhaust Too Loud

I just went from my stock prelude exhaust to a Yonaka 2.5" setup, and at first I didn't mind the noise coming from the setup, but now that I am driving my car more it's just too loud inside the car. I feel like my car is just far to loud now with this system on it. I know anything from stock is going to make noise, but Yonaka claims that this exhaust is quiet and its not at all. I need some help with this, since I do want to make it work, maybe taking off the yonaka muffler and adding a vibrant streetpower muffler would help, or any other muffler? Or taking out the resonator and installing a longer one would help quiet it down. Keep in mind I have stock headers and a Magnaflow high flow cat which is the stock piping size at 2" so I really don't get why this setup is so loud. I am just lost on what to do it seems the smartest would be to just put back on my stock exhaust and just cut my losses with this exhaust. Please let me know what to do if you guys have any ideas on this issue. Thanks

Last edited by thirsk66; 12-26-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Help 98 Prelude With Yonaka 2.5" Exhaust Too Loud

return to stock exhaust or keep the loud aftermarket. That really is your only option. That or turbo the car. The turbo will quiet the car down a ton if you stay out of boost.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

add another muffler somewhere. Vibrant Ultra-quiet is pretty compact, I had good results with it
Old 12-26-2014, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Prudz_lude
return to stock exhaust or keep the loud aftermarket. That really is your only option. That or turbo the car. The turbo will quiet the car down a ton if you stay out of boost.
Yes I still have my stock exhaust so thats a plus but I do like the aftermarket exhaust its just so damn loud in the cabin of my car, I have had exhausts on all of ny honda cars and never has one been this throaty and thw droan when I let of the gas is definitely noticeable.
I am thinking like viper_boy403 said just add another muffler and oddly enough I have been looking into the vibrant ultra quiet resonator. I guess exhausts are just a shot in the dark, because we all like different sounds and we all have different takes on what is loud and what is quiet. Did adding the ultra quiet resonator help a lot or just a bit?
Old 12-26-2014, 08:39 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need to add a resonator pipe off of the exhaust, it takes some tuning to get it right, but once you figure out the frequency of the drone, the math is pretty simple, it basically creates an opposite waveform of the drone frequency and the two cancel each other. There is a lot of information online on how to build one and calculate the dimensions, there are free apps for drioid, such as guitar tuning apps that can be used to measure and find the offending frequency
Old 12-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The big pain in the *** is that this exhaust already has a resonator on it so adding another one to it in theory should make it more quiet but I am no exhaust guru. So it might be best to get a better quality resonator and take out the resonator that is already on the kit and see if that helps at all. But The upside is that the loudness and drone is all coming from the back of my car right at the muffler I can hear it perfectly. I know some say to add sound deadening material but that just is not me and I won't do that, I would rather modify the exhaust at this point.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:51 AM
longest project ever

Originally Posted by thirsk66
The big pain in the *** is that this exhaust already has a resonator on it so adding another one to it in theory should make it more quiet but I am no exhaust guru. So it might be best to get a better quality resonator and take out the resonator that is already on the kit and see if that helps at all. But The upside is that the loudness and drone is all coming from the back of my car right at the muffler I can hear it perfectly. I know some say to add sound deadening material but that just is not me and I won't do that, I would rather modify the exhaust at this point.
it's called a quarter wave resonator, it's a closed pipe added to the side of the pipe not inline, all it does it create a frequency 180 degrees out of phase with the offending drone, this cancels the drone.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:53 AM
longest project ever

an example Killing exhaust drone with 1/4-Wave Resonator Tubes - KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum
Old 12-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres the part that is really hard to grasp. I hear the drone or annoying loud noise in all rpms as soon as I let off the gas and when I go at WOT.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:34 PM
longest project ever

Heres the part that is really hard to grasp. I hear the drone or annoying loud noise in all rpms as soon as I let off the gas and when I go at WOT.
usually you get a constant drone at cruising speed, that's what will drive you crazy
Old 12-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lostforawhile
usually you get a constant drone at cruising speed, that's what will drive you crazy
So the only way to get rid of the drone is to get one of those closed style resonators? Me adding a vibrant ultra quiet resonator in line with the exhaust wouldnt change anything?
Old 12-27-2014, 06:52 PM
longest project ever

So the only way to get rid of the drone is to get one of those closed style resonators? Me adding a vibrant ultra quiet resonator in line with the exhaust wouldnt change anything?
it might, a 1/4 wave resonator is just one option
Old 12-27-2014, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lostforawhile
it might, a 1/4 wave resonator is just one option
Right now it is just a guessing game, but then again me trying to get a quieter exhaust is all a guessing game. I will just have to go for it and see what the end result is. I found a solo QR Series resonator in an 18 inch and a 22 inch. Should I cut the yonaka resonator out and install the Solo one or just add it in the exhaust to have 2 resonators?

Last edited by thirsk66; 12-27-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The the bigger the resonator the lower the tone will be.

I havent heard my set up yet but it should be low.

2.5"
Hytech rep header
magnaflow highflow
30" 3"in/out cherry bomb glasspack
vibrant 2.5"in 3"out

Its a common set up, other then the huge glasspack. Im betting having the huge glasspack will quiet it down, I have tons of cops around.... You need to jump .5" on size to prevent a chocking issue with glasspacks do to the baffling. Its a true 2.5" all the way through now.

The resonators that come with 90% of cat-back systems are way too small. Do what I did, say f' it and go big!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/imm-87519cb/overview/

I hear people bash glasspacks all the time. Other then every two years you need a new one, because they do burn out. Which is about $50 bucks a year including install, or 1 oil change if you use good oil. They only make things louder if they are not used as a inline muffler, but as the tip muffler.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:44 AM
longest project ever

Originally Posted by Sparksman

2.5"
Hytech rep header
magnaflow highflow
vibrant 2.5"in 3"out

Its a common set up, other then the huge glasspack. Im betting having the huge glasspack will quiet it down, I have tons of cops around.... You need to jump .5" on size to prevent a chocking issue with glasspacks do to the baffling. Its a true 2.5" all the way through now.

The resonators that come with 90% of cat-back systems are way too small. Do what I did, say f' it and go big!

I hear people bash glasspacks all the time. Other then every two years you need a new one, because they do burn out. Which is about $50 bucks a year including install, or 1 oil change if you use good oil. They only make things louder if they are not used as a inline muffler, but as the tip muffler.
you can go with a stainless steel type glasspack, vs fiberglass like a borla
Old 12-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sparksman

2.5"
Hytech rep header
magnaflow highflow
vibrant 2.5"in 3"out

Thank you Sparksman for the post on this thread. As of right now I am ordering the Solo QR or quiet resonator as its short for and see if that helps the drone/loudness from the back end. I love this exhaust it's just to loud and I know I sound like an old man with this, but I seriously liked driving by cops with my stock setup and them not even caring or ever looking at me. It's California they will pull you over for a loud exhaust so the quieter the better without sacrificing the performance aspect of it. Here is the resonator I am talking about: http://solo-performance.com/qr-resonator-series
Old 12-28-2014, 07:31 PM
longest project ever

anyone know what kind of design they use? I built my own muffler and system, I used the same type of stainless that Borla uses, for the muffler packing, but if it's too loud when I get it running, I might look into one of these, or at least copy it's design
Old 12-28-2014, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have no clue what kind of design they use or what's in them as far as the packing goes but I have to assume its stainless steel inside them. Here are pictures I found, one has what it looks like on the inside portion, looks pretty trippy almost like a cheese grater.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:24 PM
longest project ever

I have no clue what kind of design they use or what's in them as far as the packing goes but I have to assume its stainless steel inside them. Here are pictures I found, one has what it looks like on the inside portion, looks pretty trippy almost like a cheese grater.

looks awfully restrictive to me, the holes in the center look pretty small
Old 12-29-2014, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes the holes look smaller in the middle of that baffle, but they claim it still flows 93% and I believe that is the reason why its much quieter then a free flowing resonator without any restriction. I am buying one because I need one, this drone I have is an ear drum buster. And for my exhaust note to be quieted from 25%-40% and drone be dramatically reduced or eliminated is something that appeals to me. I am thinking I will go with the longer resonator they make which is 22 inches long compared to the shorter one at 18 inches.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a pic of the inside of the cherry-bomb. That baffling is the reason for the choke point I was referring to. They stick out 1/8" 360 degrees around, making a 2.5" a 2-1/4". Going a 3" makes it a true 2.75" through before baffling.

Last edited by Sparksman; 12-29-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That cherry bomb looks identical to the solo design i wonder if solo stole that design from them. And either way im getting a solo resonator i just wonder if the 18 inch one would quiet it down enough or I should get the 22 inch since the longer the quieter it should be. The resonator on my exhaust now is 20 inches total in legnth from neck to neck.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That cherry bomb looks identical to the solo design i wonder if solo stole that design from them. And either way im getting a solo resonator i just wonder if the 18 inch one would quiet it down enough or I should get the 22 inch since the longer the quieter it should be. The resonator on my exhaust now is 20 inches total in legnth from neck to neck.
For sure longer is better. "thats what she said."

You can measure from the neck, but the only important measurements are chamber length and piping diameter.

The one you have is a hallow resonator correct? Basically just a fat section of piping, no sound dampening material. Those dont work at all really... Should be a world of difference throwing a baffled anything inline.

As for performance, anything period disrupting airflow will rob power. Thats why its best to shoot right out the fender. Its hard to have your cake and eat it too lol... Like reliability and performance, quiet and performance are always at odds.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha I agree with you on everything your saying sparksman. I spoke with Jeff from solo performance and he said that the resonator I want to buy would be perfect to quieting down the drone I am experiencing. He also said if I have room to keep the old resonator on and have two. But he said if there isnt enough room to just take the old resonators posotion in the exhuast. I am thinking one is sufficient enough. I dont want to totally kill the soubd of my exhaust.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:17 PM
longest project ever

I built mine like a regular glass pack, but I got the high temp stainless steel wool packing from steel wool direct, it's made for exhaust use and will stand up to any temp it will ever see in my setup, muffler packing steel wool is made without oil in the manufacturing process, the oil burns and breaks down the packing. He created a size on his website, so I wouldn't have to buy almost twice as much as I would need, it got rolled super tight, then wrapped with masking tape, so it would slide into the outer tube, the tape will burn off the first time it's used. I used heavy perforated stainless mesh, like the inside of your resonator, but it's flat holes, not bent inward.

the stainless is good to 1292 Fahrenheit

Quick Reply: Help 98 Prelude With Yonaka 2.5" Exhaust Too Loud