Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Prelude (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/)
-   -   H23vtec Bluetop Question (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/h23vtec-bluetop-question-2081873/)

CRAZY-EG9 08-27-2007 06:18 PM

H23vtec Bluetop Question

Okay unfortunatly I don't have that much computer access so that limits my searches but everytime I try to search about the JDM H23vtec motor (BLUE TOP) and all I keep getting is peaple talking about the Hybrid setup when you put the H23 block on the H22 head.
If anyone has first hand experience with these motors let me know. How they compare to a regular H22 with the same mods and durability wise. I keep seeing differnt specs on them but I would like know the real specs. Also if anyone could post dyno charts or links to dyno charts. Thanks

A Blue Lude 08-27-2007 06:42 PM

Re: H23vtec Bluetop Question (CRAZY-EG9)

https://honda-tech.com/zero...36477

SleepersOwn 08-28-2007 09:06 AM

From the quick scan of that thread, i would like to hear more FIRST HAND experiences of dealings with this engine as well.

This is an interesting topic, one that doesn't seem to get much recognition.

Bump for knowledge and a hopefully enlightening discussion.

Edit: Ayo Scott, i tried to search but i'm fawkin tired lol. Check that Faq though, i saw somethings in there but nothing too definite. Although any information is good information.

CRAZY-EG9 08-28-2007 10:47 AM

Re: (SleepersOwn)

anymore info?

SleepersOwn 08-29-2007 05:47 PM

Re: (CRAZY-EG9)

Is there no 1 else with the h23vtec ? I would have thought more people would have information on this motor.

Chewy[Ek] 08-29-2007 10:36 PM

Re: (SleepersOwn)

yea, when i was doing a research on that engine, i got many different specs too. i got frustrated and drop the whole idea haha

theresyourproblem 08-31-2007 05:29 AM

Yeah, I own one. There are some problems I've been running into, but nothing major. The only reliable way to control it without hondata is with a JDM H22 ECU...I have the "unicorn" ('96 OBDII) in mine right now. The redline for the engine is supposed to be around 7300, but I tack mine to 8000 on an hourly basis https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif . I'm happy with it, but then again I bought it installed so I can't say much about how the wiring job went. none of my climate control works, I haven't got a chance to look that over yet. I'm still pretty sure the specs are 197hp-163ft lbs. My big thing is I want to know if it's a closed or open deck engine. I can only guess. I completely understand your problem with searches only coming up with frank engines. It sucks having to search for H23A and filtering out H23 and H23A1.

EDIT: I found a pic. It's definately open deck, not what I was looking for, but still an awesome engine. If you buy one, please don't blow it up. There are very few of these engines ever made. Don't be a dumbass and run 37 lbs. on it with stock internals and 87 gas.

Modified by theresyourproblem at 4:15 PM 8/31/2007

CRAZY-EG9 09-02-2007 01:01 PM

Re: H23vtec Bluetop Question (theresyourproblem)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by theresyourproblem &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, I own one. There are some problems I've been running into, but nothing major. The only reliable way to control it without hondata is with a JDM H22 ECU...I have the "unicorn" ('96 OBDII) in mine right now. The redline for the engine is supposed to be around 7300, but I tack mine to 8000 on an hourly basis https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif . I'm happy with it, but then again I bought it installed so I can't say much about how the wiring job went. none of my climate control works, I haven't got a chance to look that over yet. I'm still pretty sure the specs are 197hp-163ft lbs. My big thing is I want to know if it's a closed or open deck engine. I can only guess. I completely understand your problem with searches only coming up with frank engines. It sucks having to search for H23A and filtering out H23 and H23A1.

EDIT: I found a pic. It's definately open deck, not what I was looking for, but still an awesome engine. If you buy one, please don't blow it up. There are very few of these engines ever made. Don't be a dumbass and run 37 lbs. on it with stock internals and 87 gas.

Modified by theresyourproblem at 4:15 PM 8/31/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually I'm puting it in a 4dr EG Civic so I'm keeping it stock, cause I know pounds I'll be saving will allow that motor to shine and run hard in my car. Let me know a little more about that motor like if you ran it at the track. How it feels or competed against other preludes with H22s. If there are certain things you might wanna keep confidetial PM me.

BlackTraxH23 09-03-2007 02:41 AM

I've owned a H23Vtec Blue Top swapped into a 5th gen with an M2B4 Trans for about 3 years. Just recently sold it. It is a very torquey motor. Low end is awesome for the daily driver. Peak power drops around 7krpms. Compared to a JDM H22 the blue is a little lacking on the top end. I tuned this motor with Hondata S200. This motor likes to have a lot of timing added to the part throttle low end part of the map (tuned on a Dynapack) which changed my gas mileage from 20/gal easy driving to about 30/gal easy driving. Make about 185hp 165ft lbs off a stock h22 header, CAI, Random Tech cat, 2.5" cat back. I overlayed my H23V against my stock 06 S2000 and the torque numbers were over 15 hp and ft lbs of tq across the entire powerband until about 6-7krpms. That's where the hp of the S2k starts to take off toward 216hp (baseline).

https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif for a good streetable motor that has good torque for road racing as well.

I've also taken these motors apart before. Different part number pistons, floating pins like the 5th gens, rod bolts instead of studs and nuts, Type S style cylinder head, valvetrain and blue tinted cams which usually a tell tale sign of a Type S but since these motors only came out of Automatic Accords, I'm assuming cam duration could be different.

CRAZY-EG9 10-23-2007 08:17 PM

Re: H23vtec Bluetop Question (BlackTraxH23)

Nice info. Anymore people???

NirVTEC 10-24-2007 08:30 AM

Spend time researching the Dizzy....I remember my friend having loads of problems finding one that would work!
Awesome Torquey motor.....
Made about 15whp/20tq more to the wheels than comparably modded H22's.

dominican luder 10-24-2007 08:58 AM

Re: H23vtec Bluetop Question (BlackTraxH23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackTraxH23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've owned a H23Vtec Blue Top swapped into a 5th gen with an M2B4 Trans for about 3 years. Just recently sold it. It is a very torquey motor. Low end is awesome for the daily driver. Peak power drops around 7krpms. Compared to a JDM H22 the blue is a little lacking on the top end. I tuned this motor with Hondata S200. This motor likes to have a lot of timing added to the part throttle low end part of the map (tuned on a Dynapack) which changed my gas mileage from 20/gal easy driving to about 30/gal easy driving. Make about 185hp 165ft lbs off a stock h22 header, CAI, Random Tech cat, 2.5" cat back. I overlayed my H23V against my stock 06 S2000 and the torque numbers were over 15 hp and ft lbs of tq across the entire powerband until about 6-7krpms. That's where the hp of the S2k starts to take off toward 216hp (baseline).

https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif for a good streetable motor that has good torque for road racing as well.

I've also taken these motors apart before. Different part number pistons, floating pins like the 5th gens, rod bolts instead of studs and nuts, Type S style cylinder head, valvetrain and blue tinted cams which usually a tell tale sign of a Type S but since these motors only came out of Automatic Accords, I'm assuming cam duration could be different. </TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif for grate first hand info https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif , but i would like to hear from someone who had both red and blue top.How do they compare. Yes, the red top does has more power but does beening biger better? (barely more hp and size,thow)

Televator 10-24-2007 10:02 AM

Edit: Never mind, just realized this was a relatively old thread.

CRAZY-EG9 10-24-2007 05:30 PM

Re: H23vtec Bluetop Question (Televator)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Televator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Edit: Never mind, just realized this was a relatively old thread. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't worry about that because I don't get much internet time. I get on like once a month.

Anyone else

CRAZY-EG9 10-24-2007 05:54 PM

Anyone have dyno numbers?

mgags7 10-24-2007 06:01 PM

why is this such a big deal?

it will be like 5hp or so more than an h22, with the torque coming on a little bit sooner.

CRAZY-EG9 10-24-2007 06:27 PM

Re: (mgags7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mgags7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why is this such a big deal?

it will be like 5hp or so more than an h22, with the torque coming on a little bit sooner.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Becuase I know a place that will sell it to me for about 400 more than a regular h22. Plus I am a serious torque lover. I learned that when I did my b20vtec swap that got me a 13.7@101 (BFGs)stock head and block in a eg 4dr lx. My previous motors were a ls and GSR in my DA I had back in the days and that B20vtec I hd made those to motors feel like turtles compared to it. Even before I put the vtec head(14.9@92street tires ziex 512s) on it was faster. This experience led me to believe bigger is better leading me to want an h23vtec.

Modified by CRAZY-EG9 at 7:47 PM 10/24/2007

mgags7 10-24-2007 06:38 PM

Not worth $400 IMO.

CRAZY-EG9 10-24-2007 07:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mgags7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not worth $400 IMO.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes it is worth 400 considering a GSR swap cost about 1500 more than a b16a or a itr motor cost about 1500 more than a GSR

NirVTEC 10-25-2007 07:30 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRAZY-EG9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Yes it is worth 400 considering a GSR swap cost about 1500 more than a b16a or a itr motor cost about 1500 more than a GSR</TD></TR></TABLE>
The ITR swap is MUCH worth the extra $1500, the GSR swap isn't $1500 more than a B16A.....With the ITR swap you get the POWER and TRANS.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mgags7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why is this such a big deal?

it will be like 5hp or so more than an h22, with the torque coming on a little bit sooner.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thats not true.... http://is.rely.net/1-92-30014-l-SAt5...lUGxmSx1EQ.gif
This dyno is from an H23vtec with SRi, Greddy Header, KTeller exhaust, tuned on a vafc.....and it was in an EG! https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emwink.gif Like I said, making ~15whp/20wtq more than H22's. As you can cleary see by the A/F's this car isn't even tuned well.
Check out that TQ curve.....actually check it all out! http://is.rely.net/1-92-30001-l-dYfk...lBsMT31QMA.gif
https://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k...23Adyno6tm.jpg

A Blue Lude 10-25-2007 09:16 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mgags7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not worth $400 IMO.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd spend the $400 if only to know that it came out of a relatively newer automatic accord wagon, instead of an older sporty car.

precord96's testing showed that it's not completely amazing (as opposed to some JDM engine distributors that attach highly improbable HP figures to it), but it looks like a nice enough motor.

Televator 10-25-2007 09:52 AM

Re: (A Blue Lude)

More peace of mind IMO than building a hybrid. The crank is meatier than an H23A1 crank. Nothing too amazing in stock form. H22 power with Euro R torque @ lower RPMs.

94Vtecluder 10-25-2007 10:08 AM

Re: (Televator)

I would take that 400 dollars and put it into arguabley the best H22 design, and tranny ever made....The Euro-R

NirVTEC 10-25-2007 10:21 AM

Re: (Televator)

So you guys are just ignoring the dyno I posted...nice.
THAT same dyno had i/h/e H22's kicking out mid 170's and mid 140's......

94Vtecluder 10-25-2007 10:41 AM

Re: (::NirVTEC::)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ::NirVTEC:: &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you guys are just ignoring the dyno I posted...nice.
THAT same dyno had i/h/e H22's kicking out mid 170's and mid 140's......

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wasn't ignoring, but it's just not consistent that's all. The fact that the same engine put out ~30whp difference on the same dyno isn't all that convincing. I've seen JDM h22's with just i/h/e and no tuning put out ~200whp. (Again it's dyno dependent) They might be far and few in between but they are out there. Also it would be more fair to compare it to a engine of the same compression. I believe the H23A is EDM or JDM right? I know JDM has more compression, however I am not sure of the EDM model engines. Know theh compression of H23A's?

No one is denying a H23A is more torquey it's just how much that's all.