Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

H23 wont start at all

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 01:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H23 wont start at all

I need some real guru help here....My friend has a lude with the stock h23 and the car wont start at all. You put the key in and all the lights come on bright (battery is brand new)....when you turn the key to the crank position all the lights stay on super bright your really dont even hear a click and nothing happens...then engine doesnt even turn over at all....Any help onto what this would be?

Im assuming a starter but would rather find out if anyone know anything else first...thanks alot

It doesnt start jumped off either as i stated the battery is BRAND NEW
Old 01-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H23 wont start at all

do you hear the fuel pump priming? open the fuel door and have someone stand and listen for a buzzing sound coming from the tank when they key is turned to the on position. it should buzz for a few seconds then turn off.

check the main relay. it is located way up under the dash behind the gauge cluster. unplug it and pull it from its mount. the 10mm bolt is way to hard to get to. then open it up and check the soldered joints. resolder or replace if it looks bad.

clutch switch could be bad it is located on the clutch pedal can't miss it.

starter relay could be faulty. it is located at the top left of the under dash fuse box. find a diagram if you can. you can test it by replacing it with a different relay though im not sure which ones are interchangeable.

ignition switch-i have never had to diagnose one of these so your on your own.

starter-your starter may be ok since you said you dont have a click whcih is leading me to believe you have a problem in the starter signal wire which goes through everything listed above. you can try to jump the starter by taking a wire from the positive battery and touching the s terminal on the starter(the signal wire connects to the s terminal-the small connector on the starter)
Old 01-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Honda owns me

Originally Posted by bdmlilburn
starter-your starter may be ok since you said you dont have a click whcih is leading me to believe you have a problem in the starter signal wire which goes through everything listed above. you can try to jump the starter by taking a wire from the positive battery and touching the s terminal on the starter(the signal wire connects to the s terminal-the small connector on the starter)
^^ start there, make sure your starter is good first.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's for all the helpful info....I just got an update you can hear the fuel pump slightly and the car does make a clicking noise when the key is turned....it sounds like the click is coming from behind the bezel its a faint click though everytime the key is turned to crank it makes the slight click....I'm assuming the click is from the main relay? Since its clicking does that mean its probably the starter? Where is the starter located on the h series motors....I woulda searched it but I'm typing this from my phone....thx a lot guys
Old 01-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gsrhatch95
That's for all the helpful info....I just got an update you can hear the fuel pump slightly and the car does make a clicking noise when the key is turned....it sounds like the click is coming from behind the bezel its a faint click though everytime the key is turned to crank it makes the slight click....I'm assuming the click is from the main relay? Since its clicking does that mean its probably the starter? Where is the starter located on the h series motors....I woulda searched it but I'm typing this from my phone....thx a lot guys
the starter is to the right off the battery on the tranny. same location as the f engines. have someone try to start it while someone is listening under the hood. if the starter is clicking then the signal is getting to the starter(either the starter is bad/stuck, the power wire from the battery to the starter is now getting a good connection or the battery is bad/needs to be charged)
Old 01-20-2012, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The battery is BRAND NEW and that wouldnt matter anyway as its not cranking with a jumpstart either its doing the same exact thing either way......I checked the wire coming from the starter to the battery and it looks contacted well, i didnt have a meter at the time but im going to shoot it soon as i get a chance....I found a starter for 30$ going to grab it and try that
Old 01-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 01-21-2012, 10:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why are you bumping this ? Did you try the other starter ?