Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

H22a4 turbo install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22a4 turbo install?

I have ordered a remanufactered H22a4 and an emusa turbo kit. I was going to have a friend install these into my 1999 prelude but he has disappeared from the face of the earth conveniently. I’ve spoken to several shops, one of which says my best bet is to put the turbo kit on the stock motor and run low boost, another shop says I have to order a special oil feed pan, intercooler, and oil feed line, a third shop is telling me they have to machine the entire engine to different specs before installing the turbo to ensure nothing malfunctions. I’ve tried researching some for myself which is what has led me to create this post. Currently I only have the emusa turbo kit, cometic head gaskets, and arp bolts and studs. What else do I need to buy to have the stock motor turbo ready, if anything? Which one of these shops has the best idea what they’re talking about? It’s all a whirlwind of different information and I don’t want to make the wrong decision. Any help is much appreciated and thank you in advance!
Old 06-01-2018, 12:40 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: H22a4 turbo install?

I am assuming you're not trying to break horsepower records judging by the kit you bought and stock engine, so yes you can run the stock engine with low boost and be alright. You don't even need the ARP hardware or cometic gasket honestly. I'm not entirely sure what that kit you bought has in it but I'm sure there will be other things you will need to buy. The biggest thing will be getting an actual tune after the kit is installed. The ECU has to be specifically calibrated for whatever you add on to the engine by a qualified professional. If it's not, you will almost immediately melt pistons and trash the engine.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope don’t want to break any horsepower records lol just want a little extra oomph. The turbo kit came with something that looked like headers, as well as a little gold thing that looks like an air filter with a metal protector around it. Idk, a friend recommended it.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Link to kit?
Old 06-01-2018, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can’t find the kit anywhere online now for some reason. All I did was type in H22a4 turbo kit into google and it popped up as one of the top results. Got an orange turbo and ss manifold. I’ll try to attach a screenshot
Old 06-01-2018, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

list of items you will need to complete the setup.
Turbocharger
oil feed and return lines
intercooler w/piping kit
wastegate
blow off valve
bigger injectors
walbro 255lph fuel pump
tune the car
boost gauge
custom exhaust 3"

If you want to go higher boost you will have to sleeve your block to run forged pistons
Old 06-02-2018, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm. Perhaps I’ll do the turbo over the winter. If I were to add a 66mm skunk2 throttlebody and intake, stage 2 exedy clutch with competition flywheel, and the fuel pump you mentioned would I still need to tune the car? I’m having some trouble finding anywhere that tunes cars like that around me. Idk how any of it works and was originally buying stuff based on my friends opinion who was gonna help with all this but he has disappeared and left me clueless. Trying to figure out what I should add to my new motor before I swap it in
Old 06-02-2018, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Austin Norton
Hmmm. Perhaps I’ll do the turbo over the winter. If I were to add a 66mm skunk2 throttlebody and intake, stage 2 exedy clutch with competition flywheel, and the fuel pump you mentioned would I still need to tune the car? I’m having some trouble finding anywhere that tunes cars like that around me. Idk how any of it works and was originally buying stuff based on my friends opinion who was gonna help with all this but he has disappeared and left me clueless. Trying to figure out what I should add to my new motor before I swap it in
to put things frankly, your so called friend recommended you to by what might as well be a paper weight. EMUSA is known for terrible product quality as all their stuff is mass produced overseas with arguably no QC management. Tuning is a requirement. There is no exception unless you want to blow the engine.

Be smart and do your homework before spending your hard earned money based on terrible opinions of "friends". We have been turboing Honda's since the 1990's. There is a plethora of information in the FAQ which many of us worked very hard to build.

If you dont know what you are doing, turboing your daily driver is a terrible idea.

Welcome to HRTuning ? Home Of NepTune
www.hondata.com

both have dealer lists and locations of their tuners.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah none of this happened according to plan. I just purchased this vehicle ten days ago and within three days of owning it the motor blew. It’s my first Honda, first stick shift car. My friend has a civic si of his own and worked in a shop and seemed to know what he was talking about. He was acting like he was gonna save the day, was sending me screenshots of all these parts I should buy and assuring me he would have no trouble pulling my motor and swapping it with a new one. He was extremely convincing unfortunately and I’ve ordered a $2000 H22a4 as well as all this other stuff only for him to have come up missing and it’s apparent he no longer has interest in this project. It was through that series of events that I would up on this forum asking for advice, as well as another prelude forum but have received no help there. My plans when I bought the vehicle were to drive it as it sat for the summer and fall months and then in the winter do some engine work and get everything set up through a shop for a turbo build. Sadly the motor went and that coupled with my idiot “friends” advice and assurances has put me in this unusual and Stressful situation. At this point I’m going to be sure not to install that turbo. But I do have an exedy stage 2 clutch and flywheel, 66mm skunk 2 throttlebody, cometic head gaskets and arp bolts and studs all sitting in my living room waiting for the engine. If I installed just those parts and not the turbo, does the car need tuned? I’ve found a shop who can swap my engines and do all the work but I don’t know if they have a clue about tuning and I don’t want to get my car back with a brand new engine in it only to blow again due to improper tuning after installing new products. I bought this car and immediately was thrown in way over my head and I’ll be the first to admit it.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah none of this happened according to plan. I just purchased this vehicle ten days ago and within three days of owning it the motor blew. It’s my first Honda, first stick shift car. My friend has a civic si of his own and worked in a shop and seemed to know what he was talking about. He was acting like he was gonna save the day, was sending me screenshots of all these parts I should buy and assuring me he would have no trouble pulling my motor and swapping it with a new one. He was extremely convincing unfortunately and I’ve ordered a $2000 H22a4 as well as all this other stuff only for him to have come up missing and it’s apparent he no longer has interest in this project. It was through that series of events that I would up on this forum asking for advice, as well as another prelude forum but have received no help there. My plans when I bought the vehicle were to drive it as it sat for the summer and fall months and then in the winter do some engine work and get everything set up through a shop for a turbo build. Sadly the motor went and that coupled with my idiot “friends” advice and assurances has put me in this unusual and Stressful situation. At this point I’m going to be sure not to install that turbo. But I do have an exedy stage 2 clutch and flywheel, 66mm skunk 2 throttlebody, cometic head gaskets and arp bolts and studs all sitting in my living room waiting for the engine. If I installed just those parts and not the turbo, does the car need tuned? I’ve found a shop who can swap my engines and do all the work but I don’t know if they have a clue about tuning and I don’t want to get my car back with a brand new engine in it only to blow again due to improper tuning after installing new products. I bought this car and immediately was thrown in way over my head and I’ll be the first to admit it.
If all you are doing is putting another stock engine back into it, not it doesnt have to be tuned. Be careful with that throttle body. the throttle blade is known to be sticky and there are been times where the throttle blade screws have come lose and been sucked into the engine.

It sounds to me like you need to keep this as simple as possible while you build up a knowledge base on how this stuff works.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You'll be fine with no tune on those mods but a new ecu and tune will help out for sure and wont need to grab one later if you do decide to turbo the motor. Research up and get a decent turbo setup, fuel system. Take your time and get it little by little. I hate to say it and i'm not talking down on anyone but some civic guys with not a whole lot of knowledge but just wanna go fast seem to cut corners and a cheap *** ebay turbo kit is all you need yada yada yada goes for all car guys really but damn do I hear it from the civic heads around here the most. Just research it up, ask questions, save that money and before you know it youll have a pretty awesome turboed prelude or whataver your putting this motor into. Just for now get her running again.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

If I were to add a 66mm skunk2 throttlebody and intake, stage 2 exedy clutch with competition flywheel, and the fuel pump you mentioned would I still need to tune the car?
with those mods no but if you change intake manifold or do more work which is related to a/f ration (and engine making power) then yes you need tune